Surgery Date Set for May 25th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery Date Set for May 25th

Hello everyone. My name is Ismael, I'm 20 years old and I've been lurking around of the forums for about 5 months now. I've picked up and learned very valuable information about scoliosis, the surgery itself, and precautions before and after the surgery. I have scoliosis with a degree of 52. I'm having surgery next Friday (May 25th) at John Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland. My surgeon will be Dr. Sponseller, Chief of the Department of Orthopedic Center. He has performed the most scoliosis surgeries in all of North America. He has outstanding reviews and statistics like no other. I've met a few of his patients and they are all doing very well with no complications, Praise God, and they all had nothing but great feedback to say. I've been told that I'm in great hands because I can't get a hospital better than John Hopkins. With the friends, family, and pastors praying for me, I will keep my faith high and succeed with this operation. I was also wondering if you all had any tips for before or after there surgery for me that you would highly recommend. Thank you in advance. God Bless.

Originally posted by Ibarry92 View Post
    Hello everyone. My name is Ismael, I'm 20 years old and I've been lurking around of the forums for about 5 months now. I've picked up and learned very valuable information about scoliosis, the surgery itself, and precautions before and after the surgery. I have scoliosis with a degree of 52. I'm having surgery next Friday (May 25th) at John Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland. My surgeon will be Dr. Sponseller, Chief of the Department of Orthopedic Center. He has performed the most scoliosis surgeries in all of North America. He has outstanding reviews and statistics like no other. I've met a few of his patients and they are all doing very well with no complications, Praise God, and they all had nothing but great feedback to say. I've been told that I'm in great hands because I can't get a hospital better than John Hopkins. With the friends, family, and pastors praying for me, I will keep my faith high and succeed with this operation. I was also wondering if you all had any tips for before or after there surgery for me that you would highly recommend. Thank you in advance. God Bless.
    Hi Ismael, I'm new to the forum and awaiting further surgery.

Wow 25th May, you must be so excited but also nervous. I think surgery was the best decision I've made so I'm sure you will feel the same. I found my curve improved, my posture, heigh and pain so fingers crossed you find the same.

Are you having a partial fusion or full fusion? I was only 13 yrs old when I had my first fusion but I would say trying to be mentally strong is the main thing, you will deal with the pain that comes after and you will have many medical staff and medication around to help. I listened to all the medical staff's instructions then when out of hospital I tried to take things easy but also tried to lay down, sit up and walk around the house to try to get my mobility back. Plus I found I was less stiff when doing this.

Good Luck!!
    27 yr old Female.
    Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
    Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
    Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

Hi Ismael and Jenna. Welcome.

Ismael, you do have a great surgeon. Sponseller is a leader in pediatric scoliosis in my opinion and I assumed he only did pediatric. Obviously not or else 20 years olds are so similar to teenagers that he takes young adults also.

For example, our surgeon only does pediatric but he will follow a patient beyond 18 if necessary. Was Sponseller your surgeon before you were 18 if I might ask?
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi Ismael,

It sounds like you definitely are entering your surgery with the right mindset. My almost 20 yo son had the surgery 3 years ago and is doing quite well. Just remember that your young bodies do bounce back quickly but you still need to follow your surgeon's post-op instructions closely. Even when you do get the okay to resume some of your regular activities, go into them gradually. The surgery greatly reduces your stamina and strength, just be patient with yourself. You are indeed very blessed to be surrounded by many people praying for you.
        Donna
        Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
        Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
        Fused T3-L3
        60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
        Tennis player & returning to the courts!
        http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
          Hi Ismael and Jenna. Welcome.

Ismael, you do have a great surgeon. Sponseller is a leader in pediatric scoliosis in my opinion and I assumed he only did pediatric. Obviously not or else 20 years olds are so similar to teenagers that he takes young adults also.

For example, our surgeon only does pediatric but he will follow a patient beyond 18 if necessary. Was Sponseller your surgeon before you were 18 if I might ask?
          I've been seeing Dr. Sponseller for roughly a 4 years now, so when I was 16. He has been my doctor every since I was diagnosed with scoliosis. My family and I were bouncing back whether to have the surgery or not. We've finally made the decision about 4 years later. By the way a little more information about me...I was diagnosed with scoliosis at the age of 16 and was braced until 18. The doctors continued to follow my curvature over the years. Although I was still in pain, we decided not to get the surgery done back when I was 18. My curve started to slowly increase from 45 to 52 over the course of 2 years. The pain has also gotten worst along with the curvature. My family and I finally came decision to get the surgery done because John Hopkins could have declined performing an operation on me since I was 20 (over the pediatric age limit) and the risks that would come due to the curvature high. We didn't want to miss out on this wonderful opportunity. We have heard many stories of people being declined the surgery by John Hopkins because it was too dangerous to operate on and they didn't want to risk harming the reputation of the hospital.

Comment

Ismael i just wanted to say welcome. Im Kara and also 20 years old. i had scoliosis surgery 2 years ago and doing quite well. i heard of the surgeon who is doing your surgery. i just wanted to wish you good luck on may 25th
            Kara
            Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
            Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
            T4-L2
            Before 50T
            After 20T

Comment

Good luck . Hope all goes well.
              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Ismael,
                Welcome to the forum. Having one of the best surgeons is the best decision you can make. Good luck with your sugery on the 25th. Be sure to post when you are able.
                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                Rib Hump-GONE!
                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                X