Ready for a kicker? pictures attached

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready for a kicker? pictures attached

with Dr. B today and I don't have any definitive answers except to meet with his partner and then decide what the best options are for me.

Thoracic 56 - bends to a 17 degree

Lumbar 53 - bends to a 4 degree.

Classification wise, neither are structural because they both bend to less than 25... So I'm waiting to have a follow up appt with both of them, so they can pow wow and figure out next steps...

super impressed by my flexibility therefore giving them more options to consider...keep you posted....
    bending for internet.jpgstandingfor internet.jpgbending2 for internet.jpg

Okay now I want your autograph. You ARE special. :-)

Completely remarkable.

Linda wrote of a case where they simply put the patient under anesthesia preparing for fusion and realized the curve was gone. They woke the patient up without having surgery and the curve was gone. You might ask Boachie about doing that.

Wow.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

By the way, can you do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jutuEhkSnCU

Sally posted this a while ago and I have never forgotten it. :-)

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Pooka -
        I'm not that flexible!!

So verdict thus far is T4-L1 to try and save as much of the lumbar spine as possible. I'll keep you posted, as I have a couple of other appts for a 3rd opinion.

Thanks for your concern, you have a great sense of knowledge, you can tell you're a great mom!!!

Comment

That was incredible! I’ve never seen anything like that. I don’t know what to say? Woah!....LOL

Here is another one talking about limber....
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jDUVjZM3NI

King, if they fuse you, they ought to get you close to perfect....

Limber is a good thing.

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Well, even though your T curve is not structural he is clearly afraid of your lumbar getting structuralized.

Didn't he comment about how unusual your case was? He is talking a 10 level fusion of a non-structural curve.

I'd like to see what a number of these top guys think about your case.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

i still do not understand how such a thing happens....????
              the scoli is not there upon bending...?????
              strange...why???
              how does such a thing happen....??
              does pain go away upon bending...?
              do you have pain...????

jess

Comment

Originally posted by king14 View Post
                Pooka -
                I'm not that flexible!!
                Did you try? Maybe you are!!!

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                  i still do not understand how such a thing happens....????
                  the scoli is not there upon bending...?????
                  strange...why???
                  how does such a thing happen....??
                  does pain go away upon bending...?
                  do you have pain...????

jess
                  I don't know why either, and it doesn't sound like anybody else knows why.
                  I don't know if I could've had a "structural" Tspine but because of my diligence on working on my back since I was 13 it kept it limber.... I'm not sure. (not saying that EVERYONE on here doesn't do their part, just saying that my work is in Fitness, pilates, understanding muscle imbalances, stretching, yoga) and I started that almost 16 years ago. So i have from a VERY young age have been determined to everything possible to keep my spine healthy, massage, rolfing, everything... but who knows.
                  I do not have pain bending, it feels SO good to bend to the left (straightening my lumbar spine)
                  I just recently started to have lower back pain, but some Dr's say because of my Disc Bulge and some say my disc bulge is so minor its becuase of the apex of my lumbar curve is causing the pain. I don't know.
                  I had a doctor tell me that I was too flexible and my spine wasn't strong and to stop working out so much, yoga etc, and honestly that's when i started to get my pain. Sooo, I don't know who to believe.
                  I believe i'm seeing the best Dr's (Dr. Bederman, Dr. Johnson, Dr Leroy Hunt) all in California... I am just going to gather as much info as possible and go from there.... I'll keep you posted!

Comment

I don't know why either, and it doesn't sound like anybody else knows why.
                    I don't know if I could've had a "structural" Tspine but because of my diligence on working on my back since I was 13 it kept it limber.... I'm not sure. (not saying that EVERYONE on here doesn't do their part, just saying that my work is in Fitness, pilates, understanding muscle imbalances, stretching, yoga) and I started that almost 16 years ago. So i have from a VERY young age have been determined to everything possible to keep my spine healthy, massage, rolfing, everything... but who knows.
                    Well, even if that is true, then PT appears to be unable to prevent progression even if it prevents structuralization. And if the response from surgeons is to fuse anyway as if it was structural just because it is large and threatens your lumbar then I guess I don't see the upside.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                      Well, even if that is true, then PT appears to be unable to prevent progression even if it prevents structuralization. And if the response from surgeons is to fuse anyway as if it was structural just because it is large and threatens your lumbar then I guess I don't see the upside.
                      I'm confused by your last statement. Did you mean you don't see the upside to PT? Or fusion.
                      PT?- then i understand because it didn't help anyway...
                      Fusion-?
                      Sorry i'm just not following your opinion.
                      tks

Comment

I'm confused by your last statement. Did you mean you don't see the upside to PT? Or fusion.
                        PT?- then i understand because it didn't help anyway...
                        Fusion-?
                        Sorry i'm just not following your opinion.
                        tks

Yes PT. I don't see the upside if it can't prevent a fusion due to progression if not structuralization.

A Thoracic fusion, if it will save your lumbar, is almost all upside.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

with Dr. B today and I don't have any definitive answers except to meet with his partner and then decide what the best options are for me.

Thoracic 56 - bends to a 17 degree

Lumbar 53 - bends to a 4 degree.

Classification wise, neither are structural because they both bend to less than 25... So I'm waiting to have a follow up appt with both of them, so they can pow wow and figure out next steps...

super impressed by my flexibility therefore giving them more options to consider...keep you posted....
                          [ATTACH]1314[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1315[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1316[/ATTACH]
                          I am 65 years old and if I could do that, I bet I wouldn't need surgery. You are awesome!
                          Susan
                          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

King14,
                            I know this sounds odd, but I'm wondering if the less invasive tethering procedure or even VBS would work for you because of your "nonstructural" curves. It might be worth asking if they want to proceed with a surgical option. These procedures act more like an internal splint to hold the spine upright without making it a solid fusion mass of bone, so you would retain your flexibility to a much better degree than using rod instrumentation. It is my understanding that these procedures are used strictly on kids with growth left, but your case is unusual. Oh, I mean "special". ;-)
                            Be happy!
                            We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                            but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                              King14,
                              I know this sounds odd, but I'm wondering if the less invasive tethering procedure or even VBS would work for you because of your "nonstructural" curves. It might be worth asking if they want to proceed with a surgical option. These procedures act more like an internal splint to hold the spine upright without making it a solid fusion mass of bone, so you would retain your flexibility to a much better degree than using rod instrumentation. It is my understanding that these procedures are used strictly on kids with growth left, but your case is unusual. Oh, I mean "special". ;-)
                              Thanks so much, i've never heard of that, and i'll definetly ask about it at my next appt!!!
                              I love this forum!!

Comment

Working...
                              X