Now my husband's inviting me on a trip to Maui in October

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now my husband's inviting me on a trip to Maui in October

My husband has been wanting to go to Maui for quite some time. He's identified a conference that he could attend there, and has invited me to come along with him once again. The conference is in October, so it will be anywhere from 8 months to 9 months after the surgery by that time.

We live in Syracuse, NY. I don't know how long it would take to fly there, but I'm guessing it could easily take 24 hours or more to get there from here.

Hoping that I'll be back to work full-time by that point, I don't know if I could get the time off, but if I could, I'm not sure that it would be good to travel so far at that point.

I've never been to Hawaii before, and don't do much in the way of water sports, even before the surgery. About the best I would be able to do is maybe some snorkeling in very calm waters.

What would you do?

-- Mary
    -- Mary D. Taffet
    Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
    Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

It's hard to say because we're all different and heal at different rates. But at 6 months a friend and I flew to Tioman Island, Malaysia which I think was 7 or 8 hours. We were gone 17 days, visiting Penang and Kuala Lumpur where we walked our feet off, but spent the first 7 days on the island, swimming, snorkelling and trekking through the mountains. My friend was fully prepared to lift and carry for me but she didn't have to. I had the blessing of my surgeon who said not to carry more than 10 kilos, and I kept under that.

Swimming and snorkelling was strange the first time! But everything went fine, it was such a great holiday.

I would say, leave your decision for a little while and see how you progress, but I hope you go and just relax and enjoy it!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I haven't had surgery yet, but I am an advocate of Maui. I was married there, and i've been there every year (well hawaii, not always maui) every year for the last 10 years.
      Pending your healing. I would book a flight with a longer layover, and give yourself time to walk around the airport before having to sit again for so long. Then I would say GO even if you're not much of a water person. There are so many beautiful things to see there, experince, and you DESERVE a wonderful vacation!
      GL with your decision. sending wonderful Aloha to you.

Oh and if you do go, please message me for the most wonderful hideaway places to see, visit, and EAT!!!

Comment

This is a no brainer. Go.

Its 5 1/2 hrs flight time from San Francisco....and about 10 hrs total flying time from Syracuse.

I would recommend staying in Kaanapali. I have stayed at the Westin and the Sheraton a few times.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaanapali,_Hawaii

There are plenty of things to do even if you do not go in the ocean.

Driving the road to Hana is a neat trip, hundreds of waterfalls....it takes all day.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hana_Highway

Drive up to Haleakala.You can see the big Island from there.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haleakal%C4%81

http://travel.usnews.com/Maui_HI/Things_To_Do/

Get a Lomi-lomi massage from a Hawaiian.......not through the hotels.

Eat the fish, you cannot go wrong. Have a great trip.
        Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
          It's hard to say because we're all different and heal at different rates. But at 6 months a friend and I flew to Tioman Island, Malaysia which I think was 7 or 8 hours. We were gone 17 days, visiting Penang and Kuala Lumpur where we walked our feet off, but spent the first 7 days on the island, swimming, snorkelling and trekking through the mountains. My friend was fully prepared to lift and carry for me but she didn't have to. I had the blessing of my surgeon who said not to carry more than 10 kilos, and I kept under that.

Swimming and snorkelling was strange the first time! But everything went fine, it was such a great holiday.

I would say, leave your decision for a little while and see how you progress, but I hope you go and just relax and enjoy it!
          I am impressed, Jennifer!!! I was ready for a two hour flight at 6 months post op!! I took my first flight at 9 months post op and it was only a two hour flight. I did more than fine and had the okay from my surgeon to lift whatever weight. I hoisted my own carry on suitcase into the overhead bin, no problem.

I'd say GO FOR IT, Mary!!!
          50 years old!!!!!
          Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
          Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
          Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
          Surgery 07/11/2011
          Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

oh, Mary...GO...definitely...
            if you only lay on the beach and stare at the beautfiul ocean...go....
            it will be restful and peaceful...

jess

Comment

I would not have had a problem flying for a long distance at 8-9 months postop.
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I heartily second what Ed said. He is correct about the flight times. Several years ago we flew from Rochester to Hawaii and it was about 11 hours. Hawaii is so beautiful, I cried the day we had to leave. You will be able to do this trip.
                Sally
                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Do you have room in your suitcase for a stowaway? I don't take up much room....;^)

Yeah, definitely go -- you should be more than okay for this trip by then!

Best wishes.
                  Chris
                  A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                  Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                  Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                  Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I would most definitely go. But make sure you get up and walk on the flight! We went to Hawaii about 14 months post surgery a 6 hour flight and the flight home did my back in. I walked more on the flight over and sat the flight back which was a bad choice. Really you should always walk every 1 to 2 hours when traveling.
                    Patty 51 years old
                    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
                    Posterior T3- L4
                    Pre surgery curves
                    T-53degrees
                    L-38degrees
                    and a severe side shift to the right.
                    Post surgery curves
                    Less than 10 degrees
                    Surgery April, 2006
                    C4 - C6

Comment

Originally posted by sccrm08 View Post
                      I would most definitely go. But make sure you get up and walk on the flight! We went to Hawaii about 14 months post surgery a 6 hour flight and the flight home did my back in. I walked more on the flight over and sat the flight back which was a bad choice. Really you should always walk every 1 to 2 hours when traveling.
                      I'd probably have to get up and go to the bathroom at several points during such a long flight anyway.

One issue I might have would be if a plane seat is similar to some other seats that are immediately uncomfortable the minute I sit down. I've found this to be the case in one of our favorite restaurants here locally. I may take a lumbar pillow with me next time to see if that helps. But in a seat like that, I can't even last 5 minutes without feeling very uncomfortable.

However, if a seat is comfortable, I can easily sit for 3 to 4 hours straight without moving and be fine, except that my knees/legs may feel a bit stiff when I first stand up.

-- Thanks,
                      Mary
                      -- Mary D. Taffet
                      Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
                      Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

Comment

Originally posted by Singer View Post
                        Do you have room in your suitcase for a stowaway? I don't take up much room....;^)

Yeah, definitely go -- you should be more than okay for this trip by then!

Best wishes.

Though things may change with my altered wardrobe (no jeans or other zip-up pants for me now), in general I barely have enough room left over in a suitcase to even be able to close it without a lot of elbow grease. I always put my pillow in my suitcase; I would never rely on the pillows available in hotel rooms. And my pillow takes up quite a bit of room all by itself....
                        -- Mary D. Taffet

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post

I would recommend staying in Kaanapali. I have stayed at the Westin and the Sheraton a few times.
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaanapali,_Hawaii

I'm quite sure that wherever my husband opts to stay will be based on which hotel(s) offer the special conference rate; there may not be too much of a choice as far as that goes.
                          -- Mary D. Taffet

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                            I heartily second what Ed said. He is correct about the flight times. Several years ago we flew from Rochester to Hawaii and it was about 11 hours.
                            Thanks; that's good to know. Rochester is about 90 miles west of here, so I'm guessing that the total flight time from Syracuse might not be that much different -- though it may depend on which connecting city you go through. My guess is that we would probably be connecting through one of the NYC area airports (JFK, La Guardia, Newark).
                            -- Mary D. Taffet

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

I'll let you know what I decide as that time draws closer.

-- Thanks again,
                              Mary
                              -- Mary D. Taffet

Comment

Working...
                              X