PDA

View Full Version : Now my husband's inviting me on a trip to Maui in October

mdtaffet
05-08-2012, 03:49 PM
My husband has been wanting to go to Maui for quite some time. He's identified a conference that he could attend there, and has invited me to come along with him once again. The conference is in October, so it will be anywhere from 8 months to 9 months after the surgery by that time.

We live in Syracuse, NY. I don't know how long it would take to fly there, but I'm guessing it could easily take 24 hours or more to get there from here.

Hoping that I'll be back to work full-time by that point, I don't know if I could get the time off, but if I could, I'm not sure that it would be good to travel so far at that point.

I've never been to Hawaii before, and don't do much in the way of water sports, even before the surgery. About the best I would be able to do is maybe some snorkeling in very calm waters.

What would you do?

-- Mary

JenniferG
05-08-2012, 04:47 PM
It's hard to say because we're all different and heal at different rates. But at 6 months a friend and I flew to Tioman Island, Malaysia which I think was 7 or 8 hours. We were gone 17 days, visiting Penang and Kuala Lumpur where we walked our feet off, but spent the first 7 days on the island, swimming, snorkelling and trekking through the mountains. My friend was fully prepared to lift and carry for me but she didn't have to. I had the blessing of my surgeon who said not to carry more than 10 kilos, and I kept under that.

Swimming and snorkelling was strange the first time! But everything went fine, it was such a great holiday.

I would say, leave your decision for a little while and see how you progress, but I hope you go and just relax and enjoy it!

king14
05-08-2012, 05:26 PM
I haven't had surgery yet, but I am an advocate of Maui. I was married there, and i've been there every year (well hawaii, not always maui) every year for the last 10 years.
Pending your healing. I would book a flight with a longer layover, and give yourself time to walk around the airport before having to sit again for so long. Then I would say GO even if you're not much of a water person. There are so many beautiful things to see there, experince, and you DESERVE a wonderful vacation!
GL with your decision. sending wonderful Aloha to you.

Oh and if you do go, please message me for the most wonderful hideaway places to see, visit, and EAT!!!

titaniumed
05-08-2012, 06:33 PM
This is a no brainer. Go.

Its 5 1/2 hrs flight time from San Francisco....and about 10 hrs total flying time from Syracuse.

I would recommend staying in Kaanapali. I have stayed at the Westin and the Sheraton a few times.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaanapali,_Hawaii

There are plenty of things to do even if you do not go in the ocean.

Driving the road to Hana is a neat trip, hundreds of waterfalls....it takes all day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hana_Highway

Drive up to Haleakala.You can see the big Island from there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haleakal%C4%81

http://travel.usnews.com/Maui_HI/Things_To_Do/

Get a Lomi-lomi massage from a Hawaiian.......not through the hotels.

Eat the fish, you cannot go wrong. Have a great trip.
Ed

Marina63
05-08-2012, 06:36 PM
It's hard to say because we're all different and heal at different rates. But at 6 months a friend and I flew to Tioman Island, Malaysia which I think was 7 or 8 hours. We were gone 17 days, visiting Penang and Kuala Lumpur where we walked our feet off, but spent the first 7 days on the island, swimming, snorkelling and trekking through the mountains. My friend was fully prepared to lift and carry for me but she didn't have to. I had the blessing of my surgeon who said not to carry more than 10 kilos, and I kept under that.

Swimming and snorkelling was strange the first time! But everything went fine, it was such a great holiday.

I would say, leave your decision for a little while and see how you progress, but I hope you go and just relax and enjoy it!

I am impressed, Jennifer!!! I was ready for a two hour flight at 6 months post op!! I took my first flight at 9 months post op and it was only a two hour flight. I did more than fine and had the okay from my surgeon to lift whatever weight. I hoisted my own carry on suitcase into the overhead bin, no problem.

I'd say GO FOR IT, Mary!!!

jrnyc
05-08-2012, 06:53 PM
oh, Mary...GO...definitely...
if you only lay on the beach and stare at the beautfiul ocean...go....
it will be restful and peaceful...

jess

LindaRacine
05-08-2012, 06:55 PM
I would not have had a problem flying for a long distance at 8-9 months postop.

loves to skate
05-09-2012, 02:07 AM
I heartily second what Ed said. He is correct about the flight times. Several years ago we flew from Rochester to Hawaii and it was about 11 hours. Hawaii is so beautiful, I cried the day we had to leave. You will be able to do this trip.
Sally

Singer
05-09-2012, 05:55 AM
Do you have room in your suitcase for a stowaway? I don't take up much room....;^)

Yeah, definitely go -- you should be more than okay for this trip by then!

Best wishes.

sccrm08
05-09-2012, 10:45 PM
I would most definitely go. But make sure you get up and walk on the flight! We went to Hawaii about 14 months post surgery a 6 hour flight and the flight home did my back in. I walked more on the flight over and sat the flight back which was a bad choice. Really you should always walk every 1 to 2 hours when traveling.

mdtaffet
05-09-2012, 11:31 PM
I would most definitely go. But make sure you get up and walk on the flight! We went to Hawaii about 14 months post surgery a 6 hour flight and the flight home did my back in. I walked more on the flight over and sat the flight back which was a bad choice. Really you should always walk every 1 to 2 hours when traveling.

I'd probably have to get up and go to the bathroom at several points during such a long flight anyway.

One issue I might have would be if a plane seat is similar to some other seats that are immediately uncomfortable the minute I sit down. I've found this to be the case in one of our favorite restaurants here locally. I may take a lumbar pillow with me next time to see if that helps. But in a seat like that, I can't even last 5 minutes without feeling very uncomfortable.

However, if a seat is comfortable, I can easily sit for 3 to 4 hours straight without moving and be fine, except that my knees/legs may feel a bit stiff when I first stand up.

-- Thanks,
Mary

mdtaffet
05-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Do you have room in your suitcase for a stowaway? I don't take up much room....;^)

Yeah, definitely go -- you should be more than okay for this trip by then!

Best wishes.

Though things may change with my altered wardrobe (no jeans or other zip-up pants for me now), in general I barely have enough room left over in a suitcase to even be able to close it without a lot of elbow grease. I always put my pillow in my suitcase; I would never rely on the pillows available in hotel rooms. And my pillow takes up quite a bit of room all by itself.... :)

mdtaffet
05-09-2012, 11:42 PM
I would recommend staying in Kaanapali. I have stayed at the Westin and the Sheraton a few times.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaanapali,_Hawaii

I'm quite sure that wherever my husband opts to stay will be based on which hotel(s) offer the special conference rate; there may not be too much of a choice as far as that goes.

mdtaffet
05-09-2012, 11:46 PM
I heartily second what Ed said. He is correct about the flight times. Several years ago we flew from Rochester to Hawaii and it was about 11 hours.

Thanks; that's good to know. Rochester is about 90 miles west of here, so I'm guessing that the total flight time from Syracuse might not be that much different -- though it may depend on which connecting city you go through. My guess is that we would probably be connecting through one of the NYC area airports (JFK, La Guardia, Newark).

mdtaffet
05-09-2012, 11:47 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

I'll let you know what I decide as that time draws closer.

-- Thanks again,
Mary

sccrm08
05-10-2012, 11:07 PM
I have 1in memory foam about 12 inches wide and 18 inch length that I covered and take with me every where to sit against. I also have one about 12 by 30 that I take if we're going places I will need to sit on the ground at and as a bonus if I need to lay down my whole back and head fits on it.

loves to skate
05-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Though things may change with my altered wardrobe (no jeans or other zip-up pants for me now), in general I barely have enough room left over in a suitcase to even be able to close it without a lot of elbow grease. I always put my pillow in my suitcase; I would never rely on the pillows available in hotel rooms. And my pillow takes up quite a bit of room all by itself.... :)
Buy a new pillow as soon as you get there and pack elastic waisted shorts and tops or buy a MuMu when you get there. You certainly won't need jeans in Hawaii.
I think we stopped briefly in Chicago and then changed planes in San Francisco. I doubt there are any direct flights even from New York, but I could be wrong. By the way, take an aspirin before you get on a plane to also help prevent blood clots. I have never been uncomfortable in an airplane seat even when I couldn't sit on a sofa for long. Go figure.
Sally

titaniumed
05-12-2012, 01:27 AM
I cannot fly without a pillow behind my lower back....and carry a very soft down pillow in a carry on for every flight.

I could go to Hawaii with no clothes. It just seems that on every trip, I go clothes shopping right away....You have to have new Hawaiian gear right? Shorts, t-shirt, and sandals will cover 99% of what you will need out there.

One of the things I used to do was ship my dive gear out UPS. I would track and insure this package and save all the heartburn of security issues that divers go through with extensive gear. Computers and hoses make them jumpy....

UPS charges have risen quite a bit in the last few years so if you do this method, keep it light.

Just going to Hawaii for the mental break and relaxation is totally worth it. I have flown out there standing up in the back of the plane many times in the past.....On many of my trips I was in MAJOR pain out there before my surgeries, and on the Big Island which doesn’t have much of a hospital at all....

There is a pediatric scoli surgeon in Honolulu....

On the way out on the plane they usually have everyone guess the exact halfway point of the flight. If you calculate correctly, they give you a bag of Macadamia nuts......I won once and was expecting a little more than just nuts.....Its ok, your going to Hawaii, not Seacaucus, N.J. (smiley face)
Ed

mdtaffet
05-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Buy a new pillow as soon as you get there

If I could find a WAL-PIL-O in a store, then I would consider doing that, but they have to be special-ordered. They do sell a travel-size WAL-PIL-O, but I doubt that a travel-size pillow will help for somebody like me who goes back and forth between side sleeping and back sleeping multiple times every night.

-- Thanks,
Mary

mdtaffet
05-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Shorts, t-shirt, and sandals will cover 99% of what you will need out there.

[snip]
On the way out on the plane they usually have everyone guess the exact halfway point of the flight. If you calculate correctly, they give you a bag of Macadamia nuts

I don't wear sandals; not enough support for my very bad feet (heel spurs, heel bursitis, plantar fasciitis if not supportive enough, hammertoes, Morton's neuroma, metatarsalgia, etc., etc.). I only wear New Balance men's 8 EEEE, usually the MR1012MC, as long as I have somebody who can tie my shoes for me. Shoes are another item that takes up a lot of room for me. If I have to have a 2nd pair of shoes, that's another very bulky item that has to go in my suitcase.

But my podiatrist does work with a shoe company that makes special sandals with built-in custom orthotics; unfortunately I can't remember the name. That might be an option to consider.

I don't eat nuts, so I don't think there would be anything in it for me to guess the halfway point.

-- Thanks,
Mary

susancook
05-12-2012, 11:18 PM
Go. Find out how long the airline trip is, but I bet it isn't as long as you think. Can you sit OK? Maybe bring a soft backrest and soft seat....only if you think that you will need them. Bring your handicapped car badge [if you have one] and if you need more time, tell the airline and they will let you on the airplane early.
You will no doubt stay in a nice hotel where the medical conf is [i assumed medical], so they will have a nice pool, whirl pool, a gym for exercise, and ocean maybe to dip your toes in, and optional activities. Maui is awesome!
You will love it!!!!!

Susan

djkinkead
05-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Back from three weeks of business trips.

I am eight months post surgery and I'd say go for it. I bring a 2 inch thick memory foam pillow with me on the plane. It makes the seats bearable.

Someday I'll make it to Hawaii.

Have fun!