Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 1/2 Years Post-Op and 6 Mths Pregnant

Hi All,

I haven't been on here for a while, because I actually had an issue with posting on my account. But I'm back, and anxious to tell all of you how I'm doing, particularly because this is something I wondered about pre-op.

I am just over 1.5 years post-op (surgery was in September 2010), and I am now over 6 months pregnant and doing just fine. I got pregnant about a month after my post op year anniversary. I have had ZERO issues with my back - no pain at all related to the pregnancy, or in general. I actually haven't even been working out so if I have any pain at all in the next few months I'd imagine it's simply typical pregnancy pain with the weight of the baby.. but so far, so good.

I am so happy I had the surgery when I did. I am fused from T5 - L1, and had the surgery with Dr. Errico in NYC (highly recommend him).

If there are any questions, please let me know.

I wish all of you who are making the decision to have surgery the best of luck. Only you know what's right for you, and when.

Take care everyone,
    Jamie

Hi again,

Actually I forgot to mention.. I am curious if anyone on here has had an epidural for labor/delivery post-op. I thought I heard it was just fine, but I wonder about the chance for infection to the rods, etc. Any experiences would be helpful (think I'll call my surgeon too soon)!

Thanks,
    Jamie

Comment

Jamie--
      Don't have an answer to your question but just wanted to congratulate you on your pregnancy and doing so well at one and a half years after surgery. That's fantastic! Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Congratulations! What a dream!! )
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Jamie congratulations how absolutely wonderful. I have two children and no problems with pregnancy and childbirth. But then they grew up!! Joking,

Lorraine.
          Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
          Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

Jamie,
            It's nice to hear from you again. You are about 4 months ahead of me. Congratulations on your pregnancy. How exciting!
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I would ask your scoli doc or the anesthesiologist who will likely be helping you during labor about the epidural. I'v heard of it, and I've also heard some docs don't like doing it. I have NO idea what the risk of infection to your rods would be. I can't imagine that the risk of infection would be any greater than it would be for anyone else, but that's just my thought. It was my biggest impression that it has to do more with the location of the rods and if they can safely get the catheter into the epidural space. Best wishes on the rest of your pregnancy. Enjoy!

Rohrer01
              Be happy!
              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
              but we are alive today!

Comment

Hey stranger, glad to hear your doing so well....Zero issues, and prego! Hoo hoo!

Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the "congrats" very much!

I just spoke with my surgeon's office and they said the epidural should be fine, especially as I'm only fused to L1 (so they would insert below the fusion). I'm also planning to talk to a head anesthesiologist at the hospital, just in case . I'll let you know if I find out anything more!

Thank you again!
                  Jamie

Comment

Working...
                  X