PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for being able to feed the dog easily while hubby out of town?

mdtaffet
04-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Hi all,

Now that I won't be going with my husband to his conference next Friday morning, the dog is no longer going to the kennel. But that means I'll need to give the dog breakfast and dinner for 5 days, which currently means leaning down to scoop out two cups of food from the large seethru plastic container which is about the size of a kitchen trash can. When the food is low, it can mean reaching way far down to scoop up what little bit can be reached. Also the food then has to be placed in the dog's bowl. I know from previous experience that trying to pour dog food into the dog bowl without leaning way down leads to food going all over the kitchen floor.

I suggested maybe a long-handled scoop, but my husband has checked at least 3 different pet stores (the large ones like PetCo and PetSmart), and has found nothing.

One thing would be for my husband to pull out enough food to last 5 days and put it up high enough that I wouldn't have to be leaning way over to reach it, but that still won't help with getting the food into the bowl without it going all over the place.

Any suggestions? I should perhaps mention that the dog in question is a fairly large golden retriever.

-- Thanks,
Mary

Mojo's Mom
04-28-2012, 09:30 PM
First, get your husband to put the food up where you can reach it. Then get your "grabber" and pick up the dog dish. Put the food in the dog dish and put it back down with the grabber. This is what I have been doing for the last three weeks. You have to be picking up the dog dish to wash it anyway...

The water dish is harder, and the only way I get that done is to let it get almost empty before trying to pick it up, wash it put it back down and then pour VERY carefully...if it splashes, that's what towels are for.

I am assuming here that you have lightweight stainless steel dog dishes that a grabber can hold. I am also assuming your golden doesnt need so much food that the grabber wouldn't be strong enough to hold it when full.

Your dog would be quite pleased to have some grocery store rotisserie chicken for a few days, too...much lighter in the bowl than kibble...in fact, let's go all out and spoil the dog for five days. Sit down and hold the bowl for him while he eats!

mdtaffet
04-28-2012, 10:06 PM
First, get your husband to put the food up where you can reach it. Then get your "grabber" and pick up the dog dish. Put the food in the dog dish and put it back down with the grabber. This is what I have been doing for the last three weeks. You have to be picking up the dog dish to wash it anyway...

The water dish is harder, and the only way I get that done is to let it get almost empty before trying to pick it up, wash it put it back down and then pour VERY carefully...if it splashes, that's what towels are for.

I am assuming here that you have lightweight stainless steel dog dishes that a grabber can hold. I am also assuming your golden doesnt need so much food that the grabber wouldn't be strong enough to hold it when full.

Your dog would be quite pleased to have some grocery store rotisserie chicken for a few days, too...much lighter in the bowl than kibble...in fact, let's go all out and spoil the dog for five days. Sit down and hold the bowl for him while he eats!

I've been handling the water dish ever since I came home from the hospital; I just fill up the water pitcher and pour from standing height (we've always used that pitcher to put water in his bowl). It splashes a bit, but only makes a mess if he tries to start drinking before I'm done pouring, because when he does that his ear tends to get in the way...

The dishes are quite large, so there is no way I could put them back down with the grabber without spilling the whole darn thing. I can't move the dishes easily -- I don't even think they would actually fit in my grabber as there is no easy spot to hold onto -- unless I were to turn them upside down somehow. They are similar to the bowls shown at http://www.petco.com/product/105768/Petco-Stainless-Steel-Non-Tip-Bowls.aspx, and are the largest size available. I'll test that out to see if I would actually be able to do that, but I'm guessing it won't really work too well; I'll let you know.

I never wash the bowls myself; that's something that my husband does [I've never been domestically inclined.]

I don't eat rotisserie chicken, and I can't imagine going to buy some just for the dog, though I'm sure he'd be quite pleased if I did that! My husband is the cook in the family [again, I'm not domestically inclined], so when he's gone, I either microwave something from Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones, or heat up leftovers from whatever casserole he made for that purpose (frequently tuna noodle casserole).

-- Thanks for the suggestions,
Mary

jrnyc
04-28-2012, 10:31 PM
i probably shouldn't tell you what my little maltese gets to eat...spoiled rotten, he gets
people chicken, turkey, steak or roast beef...i wish he ate dog food...but since he was a year
old, he doesn't like it....of course, i realize after a few days he would cave in and eat kibble...
but he is my first and only puppy....i waited all my life, till i retired, to get him...so i have spoiked
him like crazy...

i am thinking that people food for a few days really would weigh less in a dog bowl...
if you do not have anyone to help you, the only thing i can think of is to use a soup
ladel (splg?) and put a long handle on it of some kind...you would have to build it...
then use the soup ladel to put the food, scoop by scoop, into the bowl...
i know you said they dont sell any long handled scoops so you would have to create one...
OR...you could have your husband measure out his dog food ahead of time, keep each serving
fresh in a bag, and try to store it so it will stay fresh til the day he eats it...

my knees are both bad, so i worry IF i have surgery how i would bend from the knees,...
someone on forum asked me if Sparky could jump up to me...no, he couldn't...he is too
little...just 10 pounds and doesn't jump that high...the couch is about as high as he can
manage...

i hope you find a solution for a few days for your sweet golden...

jess...& Sparky

mabeckoff
04-28-2012, 10:55 PM
I have several of these all over my house so I am able to sweep .I have one that I use for my cat's food bowl and one for her water bowl .
http://www.activeforever.com/p-272-long-handled-dust-pan-and-broom.aspx. If it is not big enough for the dog bowl, then get a smaller bowl and feed the dog two bowls of food. If your husband put the food in smaller bags on the counter , then I think you will be fine

jrnyc
04-28-2012, 11:25 PM
i think the smaller containers is the best of the ideas suggested so far....
that is what i finally thought of...
do you have glass jars that would keep the food fresh for puppy....???

jess...& Sparky

Mojo's Mom
04-29-2012, 07:58 AM
Why not just keep the food (just what you will need for the five days)and the bowl on the kitchen counter and sit down and hold it for him while he eats? That seems like the simplest thing to me.

It did occur to me that you might have a bowl like what you have...mine are straight sided.

golfnut
04-29-2012, 08:54 AM
We had a long handled dust pan with a 90 degree angle which worked well for lowering our dogs bowls to the floor when my husband wasn't home. It is probably similar to what Melissa suggested.

LindaRacine
04-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Hi....

At this point, if your thighs are strong, you should be able to do a gentle squat a few times a day. If that's not an option, I agree that a strong grabber will probably do the trick. I also heard of someone who drilled 3 small holes in the rim of the dishes, threaded and tied long strings to the dish, and was able to lift and lower the dishes from a standing position. I envisioned something like putting a small hook on the wall on which you could hang the top of the strings. I always say that, after a big spine surgery, we learn that necessity is the mother of invention.

By the way, feeding a dog people food is OK, at least for a short amount of time, as long as they're also getting some dog food. If they're not getting some dog food every day, they will almost certainly end up with a nutritional deficiency which can greatly reduce their lifespan. Though not inexpensive, there are now some fresh dog foods, available at most pet supply stores, that most dogs love.

Regards,
Linda

jrnyc
04-29-2012, 01:45 PM
Linda, can you come out here and have a little talk with Sparky about how
good dog food is for him....?

would the dog food stay fresh in a smaller container....like a glass jar, left on the counter
where you could reach it ???
but then, i am not sure how you would get it down to the floor
for him after you filled the bowl.....hmmm...didn't think of that...
it would be nice if there was a neighbor nearby, willing to help out with feeding....???

jess...& Sparky

leahdragonfly
04-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Hi Mary,

great to hear from so many dog lovers here!

Large ziplock bags work great and are cheap for holding food--he could even portion out 5 or 10 portions of food into individual bags which would be easy for you to handle.

I would suggest temporarily feeding your dog out of a cheap, lightweight plastic dish of some sort. You could get one at the dollar store or something similar, then discard it after the 5 days are up. A lightweight plastic storage container with a lip would be really easy to handle with a grabber if you can not squat. Your dog will understand if his meals come in divided portions, if necessary.

I am sure your dog will survive just fine if you don't wash his bowl every day. My 3 dogs lick their bowls so clean, they do not get washed every day.

You and your dog will be just fine home alone. Take care,

jrnyc
04-29-2012, 03:15 PM
how does that solve the problem of getting the dish down to the floor....???

i wish i lived close and could come help you....i love goldens...my nephew has his second golden....
sweet sweet dogs....

jess....& Sparky

Confusedmom
04-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Could you place the bowls on something a little higher than the floor? We have a bench by our garage door where I've been feeding my cats. Of course it depends on whether you dog would knock them off.

leahdragonfly
04-29-2012, 05:45 PM
how does that solve the problem of getting the dish down to the floor....??

I was thinking if the dish was very light and had a lip, it could be filled and lowered down with the grabber.

Mojo's Mom
04-29-2012, 09:42 PM
Again, why does the dog bowl have to go to the floor? Just hold it out to him while you sit and relax. That removes any need to get it on or off the floor. It goes from the kitchen counter to your hands, back to the kitchen counter, end of story.

jrnyc
04-29-2012, 09:47 PM
great idea, Steph....

Sparky gives you a big "woof"

jess

titaniumed
04-29-2012, 11:59 PM
If the dog is hungry enough, he will get up on the counter for you. (smiley face) Stop feeding him, it wont take long.

Adult Great Danes are usually fed with their bowl’s elevated....check out feeding stand
http://www.all-about-great-danes.com/elevated-dog-feeder.html

Squats are a necessary thing to learn...Sally had posted about this a while back, one hand on the kitchen counter, and one hand on the knee. Drop down onto one knee. Just keep the spine erect.....

Ed

jrnyc
04-30-2012, 12:59 AM
people who are squatting or bending is if your knees still work, and are not destroyed....
like with meniscus problems, tears in parts of knees, cysts, arthritis,...etc

i thought the suggestion about feeding him from where you are sitting, at chair level, might
be enough for a few days...like feeding him by hand, like when he was a puppy...

jess...and Sparky, who says WOOF and to tell you that anywhere there is food, he will eat it

titaniumed
04-30-2012, 01:38 AM
My x-wife cooks for her dogs and always has....
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/02/business/02pets.html

Jess, Is that Sparky there in that photo? lol

Ed

jrnyc
04-30-2012, 04:27 AM
oh, Ed, they are both so cute...
Sparky is cuter.....and that is fact, not opinion....
and sweet as can be.....
not that i am wrapped around his little paws or anything.....

woof

Mojo's Mom
04-30-2012, 07:58 AM
I had thought about the feeding stand, but didn't suggest because they are expensive and she is just trying to get by for a few days.

Ed, I want to see her Golden up on the kitchen counter!

Squatting makes nearly everything possible and can be used so many ways. But, as Jess pointed out, you run risks with your knees doing a lot of squatting, and if your knees are already blown out it isn't an option at all.

mdtaffet
04-30-2012, 11:13 PM
I guess I got busy earlier and didn't see all these replies until just now. Thanks for all the suggestions! Yes, lots of dog lovers here.

We've come up with a solution. My husband will put the food into ziploc baggies for each meal before he leaves, which he would have done for the kennel anyway if Fonzie were still going there. That won't help for the times when Fonzie forgets that he's already eaten and asks for more (we keep asking him for a receipt, but he's never obliged...), but my son will be around when he's not working, so can probably help with that if needed.

And then to get the food into the dog bowl from the ziploc baggy, I will move the kitchen chair over to his bowl and pour the food in while sitting down; we've already tried this and it works.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions!

-- Mary

[who has her first post-op dentist appointment bright and early tomorrow morning -- hoping it will go well, but not sure (1) how well I'll be able to get into the chair with my legs up in front of me, (2) whether it will get painful when the chair gets tilted back so far -- I find the zero-gravity position in my recliner to be uncomfortable, and (3) if I'll be able to pull myself up enough to rinse/spit when asked to do so -- I may have to ask them for assistance....]

mdtaffet
04-30-2012, 11:21 PM
Why not just keep the food (just what you will need for the five days)and the bowl on the kitchen counter and sit down and hold it for him while he eats? That seems like the simplest thing to me.

It did occur to me that you might have a bowl like what you have...mine are straight sided.

Would you believe me if I told you that the kitchen counter isn't big enough to hold his dog bowl in a place that would be out of the way of other activities? Well, it's true..... (old house, old kitchen....)

-- Thanks,
Mary

mdtaffet
04-30-2012, 11:32 PM
Squats are a necessary thing to learn...Sally had posted about this a while back, one hand on the kitchen counter, and one hand on the knee. Drop down onto one knee. Just keep the spine erect.....

Ed

Ed, I'm sure they are. The problem is, I was never able to do that even before the surgery. Maybe when I was a little girl, but certainly not since I was a teenager. I sort of have to go on all fours to get down to/back up from floor level. If I ever had that kind of flexibility, it's been long gone for decades.

Mini squats are one part of my daily exercise routine, but with those both hands are on the sink, and I don't go down past my knees.

I do hope to get stronger now that I'm doing outpatient physical therapy, but I don't know if that will also help flexibility or not.

-- Thanks,
Mary

mdtaffet
04-30-2012, 11:34 PM
My x-wife cooks for her dogs and always has....

My mom used to scramble eggs for my sister's pet dog; that was about 33 years ago...

mdtaffet
04-30-2012, 11:40 PM
Squatting makes nearly everything possible and can be used so many ways. But, as Jess pointed out, you run risks with your knees doing a lot of squatting, and if your knees are already blown out it isn't an option at all.

I do have some problems with my knees, but only since the surgery.

Well, actually, that's not exactly true. In July 2007, I had a hard fall on the kitchen floor, landed on my left knee, and bruised the bone and the patella tendon; I had to have physical therapy for it, and the pain lasted for at least 3 years. The pain from that may still be there, but it's been so long since I've had weight on my knees on a hard surface that I don't know for sure.

jrnyc
05-01-2012, 12:45 AM
hey Mary, glad you solved the dog feeding problem...

at the dentist, they have a way of rinse/spit now where the dentist shoots the water into your mouth, then
you swish the water around and you spit into a suction tube...the tube sucks the water right out of your
mouth, like a vacuum....
i am having extensive dental implants put in, so i am used to that stuff by now...

good luck at the dentist tomorrow....i think you will do fine....

jess...& Sparky

Mojo's Mom
05-01-2012, 07:40 AM
I was feeding my guys this morning, got the food mixed up (I use a combination of wet and dry food), got one bowl in the jaws of the grabber, started walking towards where the dogs eat....and the bowl dropped out of the grabber. It landed upside down, of course.

Libby did a very thorough job of cleaning up, though!

Mary, glad you have a plan that works for you.

mdtaffet
05-01-2012, 09:41 AM
at the dentist, they have a way of rinse/spit now where the dentist shoots the water into your mouth, then
you swish the water around and you spit into a suction tube...the tube sucks the water right out of your
mouth, like a vacuum....
i am having extensive dental implants put in, so i am used to that stuff by now...

good luck at the dentist tomorrow....i think you will do fine....

They didn't do this with me; instead, the hygienist used a suction tube while polishing, and then the one and only time I was asked to rinse/spit was at the end of the entire cleaning, and I had brought the emesis basin I had been using when I was still brushing my teeth at the kitchen table. I spit into that little pink basin I had brought with me rather than their little chair-side mini-sink.

Of course, both the hygienist and the dentist initially assumed I was sick to my stomach....and were both glad to learn that wasn't the case.

-- Mary