PDA

View Full Version : weight loss after surgery

rockycarm
04-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Hi all, I have posted before but getting close (May 16). I have been hearing mixed views on this. Some people say to expect a 20 pound weight gain from fluids and others say they have lost weight. Can you tell me what to expect from your own experiences?

Confusedmom
04-23-2012, 09:03 PM
I gained 5-6 lbs in the hospital and lost 7-8 when I got home, so I'm just about where I started.

Dr Lenke's nurse said most people leave the hospital 10 lbs heavier and by the time they come for their post-op are 10 lbs less than where they started. Of course, all that normalizes when you get off the meds and can exercise again.

ColdBricks
04-23-2012, 09:26 PM
You will most likely gain a few lbs in the hospital, and then over the first 2-3 month recovery period you will most likely lose weight...I lost a LOT, and I also ate a lot. I am not sure what causes this. I was out walking almost every day it didn't rain!!. I lost about 15lbs, but it was not all 'good' weight loss, i.e., I lost some lean muscle mass. I went into surgery at 158 lbs in April 2011. My lowest weight that I remember was in June 2011, I was down to about 140lbs. Now I am a healthy 172lbs! i am working out like crazy, so I am gaining a lot of muscle weight.

That was my experience. Good luck!

mdtaffet
04-23-2012, 11:50 PM
At 3 months after surgery, I now weigh approximately 15 pounds less than I did prior to surgery. My appetite is such that I tend to get fuller a lot faster than I used to. I rarely if ever actually feel hungry these days.

I've been doing home-based exercises since the 3rd day after I was discharged. The number of exercises, type of exercises and number of repetitions increased from that point in early February to early March when the home-based physical therapy concluded. Since then, I've increased the number of repetitions to where I do 30 of everything. I now spend about 10 to 15 minutes doing my 4 different "sink" exercises downstairs in the kitchen, and 30 to 45 minutes doing my 13 different "laying in bed" exercises upstairs in my bedroom.

And now up to 3 days a week, I also do outpatient physical therapy where I go to them. That adds another 30 to 45 minutes of exercises on those days; I was told to continue doing my home-based exercises so I have done that. Last week alone I lost about 3 pounds.

I'm assuming that as the physical therapy ends and particularly as I get back to work full-time whenever that happens, I'll probably end up gaining weight at that point.

Elisa
04-24-2012, 12:35 AM
My teenage son lost ten pounds after his two surgeries/one month traction and he gained four inches in height, so he looked really skinny. He's put on quite a bit of weight but our scale isn't working so we'll find out on Thursday. I think he's gotten a bit taller too. Most people can expect to lose about ten pounds with this surgery it seems.

Marina63
04-24-2012, 04:32 PM
I gained 5-6 lbs in the hospital and lost 7-8 when I got home, so I'm just about where I started.

Dr Lenke's nurse said most people leave the hospital 10 lbs heavier and by the time they come for their post-op are 10 lbs less than where they started. Of course, all that normalizes when you get off the meds and can exercise again.

That was me exactly! Took a few months but I gained back the weight I lost : (

JenniferG
04-24-2012, 05:05 PM
I was 62 kilos when I went into hospital and 62 kilos when I came out, nearly 2 inches taller, so I looked thinner. Being less scrunched up in the trunk area, certainly makes you look thinner. I'm still 62 kilos 3 years later.

Doreen1
04-24-2012, 06:10 PM
I lost 13 pounds after the surgery and re-gained 4" of height. Dr. Lenke's nurse said I have 3 pounds of hardware.

Warmly,
Doreen

rockycarm
04-24-2012, 06:58 PM
I lost 13 pounds after the surgery and re-gained 4" of height. Dr. Lenke's nurse said I have 3 pounds of hardware.

Warmly,
Doreen

thanks so much everyone for such encouragement. I was a little concerned cause I am probably about 10 pounds overweight and thought ugh if I gain 20 more I am in trouble. I look forward to being able to walk again pain-free!