Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 year post-op update (Scheuermann's disease/kyphosis, 24yo male)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 year post-op update (Scheuermann's disease/kyphosis, 24yo male)

Hi everyone
    For those who don't remember or haven't met me, I had a 13-level from T-2 down to correct Scheuermann's disease. My original curve was about 75 or so, my final curve at post-op was 40 or something, i am not sure. but it is good.

Just had my 1 year post-op appointment on Monday with Dr. Boachie and things are going perfectly. You can actually see the fusion on the x-ray imaging, it is pretty weird. I asked him if the cloudiness around my hardware is the fusing and he said yes and it looks very good. Even I could see it pretty obviously, and I am certainly no doctor!

I am pretty much back to doing everything. I am also back to the gym without any restrictions. You can trust your body at this point, if it hurts your back, turn down the intensity a bit. But I am happy to report that my back does not hurt at all. I have gained 10lbs in lean muscle in about 6 weeks. Nothing hurts my back really. I am still a bit careful with putting excess strain on my lower spine (I am not doing deadlifts for a while) but generally speaking my back is fine. I do all the machines (pulley too) and I can bench press. As long as I maintain a good core posture and strength, the harder I work the more protected my spine will be. To be honest, my bigger concern was running. At least in lifting weights, you have a lot of control over movement, so I think that won't hurt you much if you know what you are doing..but running there is a constant 'bounce' on your spine over and over. For this reason I use elliptical machines for cardio, but I have done some intense running and I have not had a problem with my back. I ran 5k in 21:20 the other day on an outdoor course, no issues at all..aside from my legs being sore lol, which is unrelated to my back.

I teach guitar 35-45 hours a week and it does not affect my back. I recently played a gig on a boat which involved moving a TON of drum equipment and playing, and my back did not even cross my mind. It is great, considering how many years in the past I had to worry about back pain. People are often at a loss for words when i show them my scar (Ill show it in my new video), because I do not look like I had back surgery. To be honest, I did not know what to expect. I really beat myself up! But my body came back stronger than ever. I am the healthiest I have ever been

I still find some of the skin at the top of my back is numb. However, it actually is still improving. As I stated earlier, I think this could take years to come back to life.

What a crazy experience for me,

there you have it...total time from meeting Dr. Boachie and having my 1-year post op was about 16 months.

Here is my video, I am making another update next week!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qMo_8uk7vw

if anyone has any questions feel free to message me

Thanks for sharing your story and your videos. It really was amazing to watch your progress. I'm glad you're feeling well, it's definitely encouraging to see.

Take Care,
    Rohrer01
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Fantastic! You've come through this amazingly well. Congratulations. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for your update. I have been in touch with a young woman who is 24 yo who also suffers from Scheuermann's disease/kyphosis and will more than likely face surgery in a couple of months. I will be sure to pass on your posting to her because it closely resembles her situation as compared to a scoliosis patient like myself who is over 25 years older. It's great to see how well you are doing.

Donna
        Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
        Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
        Fused T3-L3
        60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
        Tennis player & returning to the courts!
        http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

It's great to know you're still doing well. You had remarkable progress from Day 1. Loved the video, especially the first 24 hours. It's just so amazing what these surgeons can do, and the difference they make in our lives.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Glad to hear you are doing so well!

I agree that I would be somewhat wary of running. I was told to avoid anything with "vibration," but then I'm 40, not 24!
            age 48
            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Congratulations on your excellent outcome! I loved your video; the scenes at HSS really brought back memories.
              Chris
              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Glad to hear you are doing so well. Enjoy your new body and take very good care of it.
                Sally
                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by ColdBricks View Post
                  Hi everyone
                  For those who don't remember or haven't met me, I had a 13-level from T-2 down to correct Scheuermann's disease. My original curve was about 75 or so, my final curve at post-op was 40 or something, i am not sure. but it is good.

Just had my 1 year post-op appointment on Monday with Dr. Boachie and things are going perfectly. You can actually see the fusion on the x-ray imaging, it is pretty weird. I asked him if the cloudiness around my hardware is the fusing and he said yes and it looks very good. Even I could see it pretty obviously, and I am certainly no doctor!

I am pretty much back to doing everything. I am also back to the gym without any restrictions. You can trust your body at this point, if it hurts your back, turn down the intensity a bit. But I am happy to report that my back does not hurt at all. I have gained 10lbs in lean muscle in about 6 weeks. Nothing hurts my back really. I am still a bit careful with putting excess strain on my lower spine (I am not doing deadlifts for a while) but generally speaking my back is fine. I do all the machines (pulley too) and I can bench press. As long as I maintain a good core posture and strength, the harder I work the more protected my spine will be. To be honest, my bigger concern was running. At least in lifting weights, you have a lot of control over movement, so I think that won't hurt you much if you know what you are doing..but running there is a constant 'bounce' on your spine over and over. For this reason I use elliptical machines for cardio, but I have done some intense running and I have not had a problem with my back. I ran 5k in 21:20 the other day on an outdoor course, no issues at all..aside from my legs being sore lol, which is unrelated to my back.

I teach guitar 35-45 hours a week and it does not affect my back. I recently played a gig on a boat which involved moving a TON of drum equipment and playing, and my back did not even cross my mind. It is great, considering how many years in the past I had to worry about back pain. People are often at a loss for words when i show them my scar (Ill show it in my new video), because I do not look like I had back surgery. To be honest, I did not know what to expect. I really beat myself up! But my body came back stronger than ever. I am the healthiest I have ever been

I still find some of the skin at the top of my back is numb. However, it actually is still improving. As I stated earlier, I think this could take years to come back to life.

What a crazy experience for me,

there you have it...total time from meeting Dr. Boachie and having my 1-year post op was about 16 months.

Here is my video, I am making another update next week!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qMo_8uk7vw

if anyone has any questions feel free to message me
                  Hey David, so glad you put in an update. It was your original video that gave me encouragement to pursue this. I am scheduled with Dr. B on May 16th to be fused from T9-sacrum. You are a youngster still hahaha but in my head still feel I am (53-year-old) so going to move forward with your timeline Much luck you to you in your future and wish me some too

Comment

Glad to hear how much the original video has helped everyone! Here is my update...

1- year post op video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8ZaHQx2fHU

Comment

You look great post surgery!! Do you have any pictures or videos from presurgery?

I completely agree with you on the mindset thing. I too had a good recovery and have been back at the gym for about five months now, lifting weights and doing cardio. The more I move, the better I feel.

Keep up the good work!
                      50 years old!!!!!
                      Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
                      Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
                      Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
                      Surgery 07/11/2011
                      Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

It's great to hear you are doing and feeling so well! Thanks for sharing and updating your story. Take care!
                        Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                        Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                        Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                        http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Working...
                        X