Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanical Stenosis

Mechanical Stenosis
    Has anyone been told their problems are mechanical? Or is anyone familiar with the concept of mechanical stenosis? Surprisingly, I’ve not heard it mentioned on the forum before.
    See here a presentation I found from Boachie where he mentions mechanical stenosis http://www.hss.edu/professional-cond...l-stenosis.asp
    I have shared my story before. I have symptoms of stenosis (problems standing and walking distances), but no significant stenosis. My MRI showed stenosis, but then I had a CT Myelogram, which was not dynamic (which could be the problem) and it showed no significant stenosis.
    I am considering surgery, but am not ready yet, but am confused by the lack of significant stenosis.
    • Errico did say that I have severe degenerative scoliosis and facet arthopathy at L2-3.
    • Lonner believes my symptoms are mechanical.
    Here are my scoliosis X-rays, which I’ve never attached before. I know my curve is small (somewhere between 55 and 68) compared to this group.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Lisa
    Attached Files
    60 degree thorocolumbar curve beginning at T12
    58 years old

Lisazena,

I have not heard that before, but it makes sense. I have symptoms when I'm doing certain things and no symptoms doing other things, depending. Your curves are not small for this group. I think we cover the multitude of people with curves in the teens and less to curves of over 100*. You are definitely in surgical territory. I hope you can find a doctor that makes you comfortable and is well skilled if you decide to go for the surgery.

Sincerely,
    Rohrer01
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by lisazena View Post
      Has anyone been told their problems are mechanical?
      Lisa, I've been told that my back pain was mechanical -- because it was due to actual structural deformity rather than to muscle injury, etc. Not necessarily that the stenosis I had was mechanical, but that the back pain itself was mechanical.

My MRI in March 2009 showed "moderate" stenosis, but I don't think any of the descriptions used the term "significant". I'll dig out the report when I get a chance and see what it actually said.

-- Mary
      -- Mary D. Taffet
      Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
      Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

Comment

Mechanical Stenosis and Trunk Shift

Originally posted by mdtaffet View Post
        Lisa, I've been told that my back pain was mechanical -- because it was due to actual structural deformity rather than to muscle injury, etc. Not necessarily that the stenosis I had was mechanical, but that the back pain itself was mechanical.

My MRI in March 2009 showed "moderate" stenosis, but I don't think any of the descriptions used the term "significant". I'll dig out the report when I get a chance and see what it actually said.

-- Mary
        Thanks Mary for your answer. Actually my MRI showed stenosis so I am probably no different than most on the forum. Most people probably don't then take a CT myelogram, which is the test that left me puzzled since suddenly the stenosis wasn't significant. Also, luckily I don't have back pain, but do have troubles with walking distances and standing for any length of time.

I am trying to clarify in my own mind that scoliosis is the root cause ( Earlier I had a vitamin B5 toxicity, which confused matters).

I do have a significant trunk shift to the left that I read about in the Dr. Hey excerpt and my symptoms are mostly on the right. I don't have balanced curves. I have a thoracolumbar curve that starts low--at T12 and a small lumbar curve underneath that.

I would appreciate knowing whether your report said significant stenosis.
        Lisa
        60 degree thorocolumbar curve beginning at T12
        58 years old

Comment

Working...
        X