PDA

View Full Version : Surgeon Recommendation – San Francisco Bay Area.

Irina
04-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Hi,

I am new to this forum, but found so much useful information and friendly people here. If I am not following protocol, please let me know.

Can someone recommend a good orthopedic surgeon in San Francisco Bay area? I live in San Jose, CA. I was thinking of Serena Hu (UCSF), Ivan Cheng (Stanford) and John Lettice (El Camino Hospital). If you are a patient of these doctors, I would love to hear from you. Other recommendations are welcome.

Thank you.

Irina.

LindaRacine
04-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Hi Irina...

I had scoliosis surgery at UCSF by Drs. Berven and Hu. I am also an employee of the UCSF Spine Center, so my views may be a bit biased. I can tell you for certain, however, that the surgeons at UCSF do far more adult scoliosis surgeries than Stanford or any of the private practice physicians.

Regards,
Linda

Irina
04-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Hi Linda,

Do you know how many surgeries Dr. Hu does? What number constitutes high volume? I am just at the beginning of my research and trying to learn as much as possible before I can make a decision. I am not ready for the surgery yet, but when pains get too much to tolerate, I am starting to think... Thank you.

Irina.

LindaRacine
04-15-2012, 11:11 PM
Hi Linda,

Do you know how many surgeries Dr. Hu does? What number constitutes high volume? I am just at the beginning of my research and trying to learn much as much as possible before I can make a decision. I am not ready for the surgery yet, but when pains get too much to tolerate, I am starting to think... Thank you.

Irina.

Hi..

On a typical week, Dr. Hu does 3-5 surgeries. It's hard to know, but I'm sure she's in the top 10-20% of surgeons in terms of the number of deformity surgeries she does. I'm sure you can find surgeons who do more surgeries, but I'm not sure that you'll find anyone with a lot more experience. The one thing that all the UCSF orthopaedic surgeons do, is see all of their surgical patients post-operatively. Some surgeons have their patients seen by physician's assistants after they've had surgery.

--Linda

titaniumed
04-16-2012, 12:30 AM
Irina

Welcome to the forum.

A visit to UCSF would be a good idea. I didn’t have surgery there but it was in my sights years ago. I have been to the scoliosis meetings and have met the surgeons there. They are a great bunch.

Dr Hu has been on the scene a long long time....(smiley face)

Talking with her doesn’t mean you have to make a decision, but that’s where it starts. Its understandable to be scared to death about this, they know this and want you to make an educated decision.

Keep reading and posting
Ed