third anniversary and possible fusion problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• third anniversary and possible fusion problem

As my third anniversary approaches and I can say things have been going good and I thank God everyday I had my surgery. However, it seems I may have a potential hardware problem or perhaps some other type of problem. I have a very prominent lump at the top of fusion. The tops of the rods have always been easily felt but this bump has grown over the past few 2 months. Just recently it has become sore and it's also very hard as you would expect hardware to be and there is no movement to it. One thing to help ease muscle spasm in my shoulders and neck I lay on my back and pull my knees to my chest. This does cause all my vertebrae above my fusion, T1 and up, to adjust. My ribs in the lower thoracic area are sore as well and more prominent on one side in the past few weeks as though they are beginning to rotate, if that's even possible at this point. Has anyone experience anything like this or have any thoughts on what may be occurring?
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

I don't have any answers for you, but if I were you, these are questions I would be asking the surgeon. I don't know what your follow-up appointment schedule with the surgeon is, but if you have an appointment coming up, definitely mention this issue. If you don't already have an appointment scheduled, then I suggest you call the doctor and make one if you can. My guess is that if you mention this to the doctor's nurse or assistant (i.e. whoever answers the phone), they will ask you to come in for a follow-up.

Good luck!
    -- Mary D. Taffet
    Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
    Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

Comment

I agree with mdtaffet. You need to go to the doc and have this evaluated. Unfortunately when mechanical things are used in our bodies, they can become defective or worn out. It sounds like you have a screw coming loose. As far as the rotation and the new rib hump, I would be curious if you don't have a pseudoarthrosis and the hardware has been holding up and is now starting to give way. That's just my suspicion. Please get it checked with your surgeon.

Best Wishes,
      Rohrer01
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

I do have an appointment coming up May 22. I was hoping for something sooner and am working on getting in sooner. My husband is in the military so the appointment was scheduled by our appointment center so I'm just waiting for a call back from the surgeon's nurse. Unfortunately the surgeon who did my surgeon has since retired from the military but he is practicing in the area. Once I'm seen by the doc's here at out military hospital I can ask for a second opinion and will be referred to my original surgeon. I've pseudoarthrosis also and am hoping that's not the problem. Time for some positive thinking
        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X