Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post-op question 2: Do you have any tricks for closing the car door after you get in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-op question 2: Do you have any tricks for closing the car door after you get in?

My second question --

From the time I was first discharged, I have not been able to easily reach the car door to close it after I sit down. When I'm a passenger, my husband usually closes the door for me after I get in. But now that I've been cleared to drive, I'll have to find a way to close the driver's side door after I get in. I've already thought of using the cane to grab onto a part of the door and swing it in, but my husband dislikes this idea. The car in question is a 2010 Subaru Legacy.

Does anybody have any good solutions for closing the car door without harming it in the process (my husband is convinced that grabbing the door with the cane will cause damage to the car).

-- Thanks,
    Mary
    -- Mary D. Taffet
    Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
    Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

I use my cane and have not noticed any damage
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Thread a belt through the door handle, and keep hold of it as you get in the car.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
        Thread a belt through the door handle, and keep hold of it as you get in the car.
        Linda, that's a good idea which I would definitely try if my door handle had a hole, but it doesn't. Unfortunately my door handle is a solid item that has no openings through which a belt could be placed.
        -- Mary D. Taffet
        Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
        Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

Comment

I would personally use my cane if I needed it and don't tell my husband, if you can't use Linda's belt idea. I am sure the cane will not hurt the car, and heck, if it does, it's far better than hurting your back.
          Gayle, age 50
          Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
          Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
          Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
          2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
          2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Can you pull it part way shut after you are in (head inside),'but before you turn to face front?
            age 48
            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
              I would personally use my cane if I needed it and don't tell my husband, if you can't use Linda's belt idea. I am sure the cane will not hurt the car, and heck, if it does, it's far better than hurting your back.
              My cane has not hurt my car in any manner
              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post

Can you pull it part way shut after you are in (head inside),'but before you turn to face front?
                My driver's side door has to be open very wide in order to "catch" so that it will stay open, otherwise it just starts to close all by itself. With the door that far out, I really wouldn't be able to reach it once I'm already seated, and trying to close it partway before I sit down would just lead to it closing on me, which wouldn't be good. So my only choice is to start pulling it in after I'm already seated, at which point I can't reach it without the cane or some other device.
                -- Mary D. Taffet

Comment

Working...
                X