Thoracoplasty & Asthma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoracoplasty & Asthma

I've recently read in Dave Wolpert's book and on a few websites that for people with Asthma or other lung conditions, a thoracoplasty is risky due to their already decreased ability to breathe.

Has anyone here had a thoracoplasty with Asthma or other lung condition? My Ortho had mentioned this past summer when we first met that he would most likely be performing a thoracoplasty due to a rigid upper curve and rib hump, so I'm facing this very situation. I will be bringing this issue up to my Ortho when we meet next week but wanted to see if there was anyone out there who experienced this and if so, how did your body respond?

Thanks!

Met with my Ortho today and am relieved to find out that he does not have deflate a lung to do a Thoracotomy!!!! He said that even with my Asthma, I should be fine and that if at any time during the surgery, he feels that there is a problem with my breathing (or anything else), he'll stop the procedrue, stich me up and bring me in another day to finish up. What a relief!

Comment

Hi Heidi...

Do you realize that you originally asked about a thoracoplasty, but in your last post, typed thoracotomy?

Anyway, I'm confused. Are you having surgery on the front part of the your thoracic spine? If so, I can't envision how the surgeon would get to your spine without deflating a lung. If the surgeon tells you that they will actually be working on the front of your thoracic spine, but don't have to deflate a lung, would you try to find out how it's done? Thanks.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda,

I do know that I asked about a thoracoplasty and thought that was the procedure that was being done (it's been six months since my last visit), but when I met with my Ortho yesterday he referred to the procedure as a thoracotomy.

He described what he'll be doing during the thoracotomy as: removing a rib and removing the discs between my thoracic vertebrae. He'll then close up the anterior surgical site and work on the fusion of both of my curves and installing the hardware using the posterior approach.

Comment

Hi Heidi...

A thoracotomy is simply the term to describe the opening of the thoracic area. Thoracoplasty is the removal of pieces of several ribs to flatten the rib hump. I'm really curious about how the surgeon gets to the spine without deflating a lung, so if you find out please let us know.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I'll try to find out for you Linda. I do recall that he mentioned that the lungs naturally deflate a bit when the chest cavity is opened due to the change in pressure, but said that he does not use any further deflation than what naturally occurs. I will try to find out more for you.

Comment

I was reading this post and have a question regarding it. My daughter just had a thoracoplasty done and if i read correctly linda you said that they have to deflate the lung to do this? I am curious now if they deflated my daughter's lung, because there was never any mention of that to me, unless i just was never told that they were going to be doing that.? Not that it really matters now, what's done is done and everything was fine, but even after her surgery there was never any mention of them deflating the lung. It's probably just another thing that would have made me more nervous so i'm probably better off that i didn't know.
              Jennifer

Comment

Hi Jennifer...

Was the thoracoplasty done from the front or the back?

--Linda

Comment

hi linda,
                  Her thoracoplasty was done from the back and i must say it looks so good!

Jennifer

Comment

Jennifer...

If the thoracoplasty is done from the back, the lungs aren't in the way, so there is no need to deflate one.

Regards,
                    Linda

Comment

Thanks linda, i guess that's why there was no mention of it LOL.
                      Have a great day.
                      Jennifer

Comment

Working...
                      X