PDA

View Full Version : More meds vs. Heated throw???

Confusedmom
03-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Okay all, two weeks post-op here. Every day about 5-6 Pm I get this feeling like the muscles in my back are all arching backward. I literally look 6 months pregnant because I can't stand any straighter. I was getting ready to call dr. Lenses' nurse and beg for a higher dose of oxicontin (I'm on 20mg 2x per day), when I tried laying on this heated throw. It loosened me up enough to make it tolerable enough to hold out for my next Valium, or whatever it was. So, my question is, does heat in any way interfere with the fusion process? Cause if not I have just found my new best friend in my throw.

Thanks,
Evelyn

mabeckoff
03-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Hi When I was in rehab after my surgery, they always used heat on me so I would not think it should be a problem

Marina63
03-29-2012, 08:24 AM
Heat is terrific! My PT used moist heat the last 15 or so minutes of my sessions with her. It was fantastic.

TwinmomTN
03-29-2012, 08:36 AM
Hi Evelyn,

I have been so anxious to hear how you have been and your journey for the
past 2 weeks. I have wondered if a heating pad is helpful post op
as I can't live without mine now. So good to hear from you. Hang in there and
hopefully you can get some relief soon. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Pam

Doodles
03-29-2012, 01:56 PM
I still love my heat pad! Use it for a bit before I go to sleep most nights. It just makes the lower back feel better for me. I was never a fan of ice. I have no idea if it would effect fusion--I really doubt it though. Janet

JenniferG
03-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Okay all, two weeks post-op here. Every day about 5-6 Pm I get this feeling like the muscles in my back are all arching backward. I literally look 6 months pregnant because I can't stand any straighter. I was getting ready to call dr. Lenses' nurse and beg for a higher dose of oxicontin (I'm on 20mg 2x per day), when I tried laying on this heated throw. It loosened me up enough to make it tolerable enough to hold out for my next Valium, or whatever it was. So, my question is, does heat in any way interfere with the fusion process? Cause if not I have just found my new best friend in my throw.

Thanks,
Evelyn

I used to get that arching back as well. I was given much more lordosis (mine had disappeared over the years) and I think it was a matter of getting used to the new feeling and by day's end, your muscles are tireder, I would imagine. At the same time, my tummy was protruding so I think I know what you're feeling. If it's the same thing, it goes away in time as you a) get used to the extra lordosis and b) the tummy swelling goes down and c) your muscles strengthen.

The warm throw is SUCH a great way to ease pain.

golfnut
03-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Evelyn,
I used a heated blanket for several months and it seemed to have a soothing effect with me.
It feels weird to have a lordosis that is inflexible, but you will eventually get used to it I had a lot of stomach bloating for several months and could not hold my stomach in and it felt like I had way too much lordosis. I still commented on it at my 6 month check up. Eventually, my stomach muscles returned and my stomach is flatter now.

rohrer01
03-31-2012, 12:01 AM
Evelyn,
I used a heated blanket for several months and it seemed to have a soothing effect with me.
It feels weird to have a lordosis that is inflexible, but you will eventually get used to it I had a lot of stomach bloating for several months and could not hold my stomach in and it felt like I had way too much lordosis. I still commented on it at my 6 month check up. Eventually, my stomach muscles returned and my stomach is flatter now.
Sorry to butt in here where I probably don't belong. But I was just thinking that it must feel really strange to have an inflexible lordosis. I guess I hadn't thought much about that, especially the effect it would have on your abdominal muscles. I'm glad you got used to it and are doing really well!

Same for you, Jennifer. I didn't see your post.

Rohrer01

djkinkead
03-31-2012, 08:10 AM
I am at seven months post surgery now.

I have not used anything heated on my back simply because since I can't feel anything on my skin, I get nervous about burning myself. Okay, that is probably paranoia working at its best (looking back)....the logic is if your normal skin doesn't feel too hot, you aren't hurting the skin on your back. I'll blame the drugs for not hitting and acting on that logic. :-)

Best wishes and prayers for you as you continue to recover, Evelyn.