Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnancy after surgery.

Hi!

I am 45 yrs. old and had surgery 7/30 of this year. I'm exercising and back to my usual routine.

My question is this...we would like another child. I would like to hear from anybody, especially in my age group, who had children after surgery.

I will get my surgeon's opinion, of course.

My first pregnancy was a breeze...gained 8 pounds...had a cesarean.

Thanks,
    Denise

Hi

Just curious; have you put Pregnancy and Scoliosis into the search facility. There have been some threads on this before; but I'm not sure if they were by people asking about pregnancy with scoliosis surgery being performed or if simply the effects on scoliosis with pregnancy, but they might be worth a look at. I typed it in and these are what came up in search results

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/searc...der=descending

Best wishes

Alison

Comment

Hi Alison,

You are right. There are quite a few past threads about scoliosis and pregnancy.

That's what I get for starting a thread before I've finished my first cup of coffee in the early morning)

I've read through the posts (some of them) and it seems many deal with anesthesia or pregnancy with uncorrected scoliosis.

My question centers on pregnancy...at 45 years of age...6 months post-op...fused from T4-sacrum.

Carrying the pregnancy to term...did they end up on bedrest?

Delivery...I would imagine that with a previous cesarean and limited "pushing power" that cesarean would be the peferred method but then comes the question of the epidural.

I guess those are the folks that I want to hear from.

Thanks,
      Denise

Comment

Denise,
        I'm not in your age group, but I am one of those who is very concerned with pregnancy after surgery. I'm 30 and my husband and plan to start a family soon (probably would have tried this past year if I wasn't having this surgery) so it was one of the first topics that I talked to my Ortho about.

He suggested (and I've read this in many places since) that I wait at least one year before becoming pregnant. He said that would allow time for my body to heal and recover before putting it through another major change. I didn't get into specifics of delivery however.

Hope that helps a bit!

Comment

Hi!

That does help.

In fact, it is common sense to wait at least a year after surgery.

That was the time frame that my surgeon gave me for when all of the fusions would be completely "knitted back together".

Thanks!

Denise

Comment

Working...
          X