Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Osteotomy and fusion

Hi
    Who has had an osteotomy (PSO) with their fusion? I've heard the recovery is harder -trying to prepare myself.
    Thanks!
    Betsy age 55
    Atlanta
    Milwaukee brace 1966-1972
    Surgery April 17, 2012
    fuse T4-sacrum & osteotomy

Hi Betsy, I had 6 or 8 osteotomies. To be honest, the most intense pain for me was gas pain postop; my abdomen was so bloated that it took my mind off any back pain. The way I describe my back pain post op was not really pain, but different levels of aches.

Warmly,
    Doreen
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

I had osteotomies last year during my revision surgery, and I would rate my recovery as relatively easy.

Not all osteotomies are created equal. Pedicle subtraction osteotomies and vertebral column resections are quite a bit more invasive than Smith Peterson osteotomies. You can read about both procedures here:

http://www.spineuniverse.com/profess...-surgery-fixed
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Betsy--
        Since mine was all done at one time, I have no way to tell what pain was from what! I won't kid you, as most have said it is really tough. I was on pain pills for over a year. I tried and tried to wean down slowly--even cutting down by fourths so I could deal with it. I had major constipation problems probably about at a month or so. That wasn't fun either. So don't assume it is just early on. Still glad I did it all. Everyone is so different due to so many factors. Hopefully, you'll sail through! Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Betsy,
          I had five osteotomies and, like Doreen, my main pain was abdominal in the weeks following surgery. I couldn't tell you if the osteotomies added any pain or not, but it was the only way to get a good correction with a large curve and an inflexible spine, I believe. I wouldn't worry about it.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
          X