PDA

View Full Version : Osteotomy and fusion

BetsyK
03-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Hi
Who has had an osteotomy (PSO) with their fusion? I've heard the recovery is harder -trying to prepare myself.
Thanks!

Doreen1
03-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Hi Betsy, I had 6 or 8 osteotomies. To be honest, the most intense pain for me was gas pain postop; my abdomen was so bloated that it took my mind off any back pain. The way I describe my back pain post op was not really pain, but different levels of aches.

Warmly,
Doreen

LindaRacine
03-06-2012, 05:39 PM
I had osteotomies last year during my revision surgery, and I would rate my recovery as relatively easy.

Not all osteotomies are created equal. Pedicle subtraction osteotomies and vertebral column resections are quite a bit more invasive than Smith Peterson osteotomies. You can read about both procedures here:

http://www.spineuniverse.com/professional/technology/surgical/thoracic/decisions-expectations-osteotomy-surgery-fixed

Doodles
03-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Betsy--
Since mine was all done at one time, I have no way to tell what pain was from what! I won't kid you, as most have said it is really tough. I was on pain pills for over a year. I tried and tried to wean down slowly--even cutting down by fourths so I could deal with it. I had major constipation problems probably about at a month or so. That wasn't fun either. So don't assume it is just early on. Still glad I did it all. Everyone is so different due to so many factors. Hopefully, you'll sail through! Janet

golfnut
03-07-2012, 06:21 AM
Betsy,
I had five osteotomies and, like Doreen, my main pain was abdominal in the weeks following surgery. I couldn't tell you if the osteotomies added any pain or not, but it was the only way to get a good correction with a large curve and an inflexible spine, I believe. I wouldn't worry about it.