weight loss or gain after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weight loss or gain after surgery

Hi all, what can I expect in terms of weight loss/gain after surgery. Some things I have read said they lost and some said they gained because of lack of activity. I would like to lose 10 pounds before surgery thinking recovery will go a little better but if there is a bit of weight loss 10 pounds might be too much. What do you think?

Originally posted by rockycarm View Post
    Hi all, what can I expect in terms of weight loss/gain after surgery. Some things I have read said they lost and some said they gained because of lack of activity. I would like to lose 10 pounds before surgery thinking recovery will go a little better but if there is a bit of weight loss 10 pounds might be too much. What do you think?
    I would think that most people would loose weight after surgery. Your appetite goes for awhile plus you are burning calories by your body healing itself. I lost 10lb and I am 4 weeks post op. My appetite is still terrible due to the vicodin so I may even loose more. Unless someone is obese, I wouldn't worry about loosing any weight. I wish I had more weight to loose. I'm super skinny now and I can't fit most of my clothes. Also, remember that you should gain some height which stretches you out. My skin is super tight because I was already thin before surgery. I went from being 5 ft 7 in/128lbs. to 5ft 9 in/118lbs.
    Thoracic curve approx 62 degrees,
    Lower curve of approx 38 degrees
    27 years old
    http://pennstatehershey.org/findaprovider/provider/1507
    Scheduled for Spinal Fusion 2/2/2012
    T2-L2 or L3
    Engaged to be married on 4.6.2013!

Comment

I lost some weight last year in preparation for the surgery, but Dr. Lenke's instructions say not to lose weight "acutely." I assume that means don't lose weight quickly before surgery. I think the reasoning is that they want you to have the best nutrition possible leading up to surgery and are afraid acute weight loss would mean fad diets.

Dr. Lenke's nurse Kelly said most people gain 10 lbs in the hospital from all the fluid retention (IVs, etc.), but have lost about 10 pounds from the starting point by the time they return for the post-op visit at six weeks. I think after that it will depend on how we eat and how active we can be. I am feeling about 10 lbs. overweight right now (over-eating with pre-surgery anxiety), so I am hoping I will lose that 10 and keep it off!

Evelyn
      age 48
      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Son's surgeon said 10% loss is the norm - not eating the day of surgery & a few days afterward, loss of appetite due to medications. Our son couldn't afford to lose any weight, so we stocked up on Ensure, etc & mixed them w ice cream daily & he avoided the weight loss. Me personally, I'd love a 10% weight reduction without the surgery part.
        Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
        Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
        Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
        Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
        photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Post op weight gain/loss

Hi!
          I was super bloated when I came home from the hospital and was a few pounds heavier than when I went in (I'm talking 2-3 pounds). I then lost it all plus another 8 due to lack of appetite. I was concerned but my surgeon wasn't. I'm back to my normal weight now.
          I would not worry about losing weight beforehand.
          50 years old!!!!!
          Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
          Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
          Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
          Surgery 07/11/2011
          Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

I do remember this part! A few days after surgery they were walking me in the hall and decided to weigh me. Literally, 20 pounds more from swelling and bloating. If I hadn't been so out of it, I probably would have sat down and cried since it seems I'm always so worried about weight. Somewhere fairly soon that went away and 15 extra which I swore I'd never put back on. It's all back & a little more. So much for that. I think I left my metabolism in St. Louis. When I went to my first opinion doctor, he said I'd lose 25 pounds and need a whole new wardrobe. I later changed my mind with him & cancelled since it was starting to sound like a used car salesman. The swelling does go away!
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I lost about 10 lbs in the first week. My husband was stunned how quickly my weight dropped. Slowly, with the help of peanut butter milkshakes from the good people at Sonic, I put back on about 7 lbs within 6 months. I've been out of work since late January and packed on about 5 more, so I'm just north of where I started. As soon as I return to work (I got laid off, new job starts in 3 weeks) I am sure it will fall off again just due to activity.
              Female, age 38
              4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
              currently 64*upper/40*lower
              Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
              now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Dr. Lenke told me to gain weight before surgery which I did as a side effect of pre-op Forteo shots (no longer doing Forteo). I gained 12 pounds preop and am back down 12 pounds. Lenke's nurse said the hardware weighs about 3 pounds. My advice is, if you are not already walking on a daily basis, start now. Dr. Lenke said he wants his patients in top cardio condition and to walk as far as possible within an 1 hour. Walking not only offers great cardio and spine exercise, but chances are you'll drop some weight in the process.

Warmly,
                Doreen
                44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

what does he tell patients who are in too much pain to walk??

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                    what does he tell patients who are in too much pain to walk??

jess
                    "Respect your pain and walk as far as you can within your limits."
                    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X