Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My date is set - April 17

Hi,
    I've been reading all the posts trying to get prepared. I went to Linda's link, which is a great help. I get a little overwhelmed and think I'm planning to go underground for a year! How long before everyone could go out to a store, (with someone else driving) & how long before you can sit and do anything, like sewing?
    Should I buy birthday cards for friends for the next 3 months, so i won't have to go out?
    Thanks,
    Betsy age 55
    Atlanta
    Milwaukee brace 1966-1972
    Surgery April 17, 2012
    fuse T4-sacrum & osteotomy

Originally posted by BetsyK View Post
    Hi,
    I've been reading all the posts trying to get prepared. I went to Linda's link, which is a great help. I get a little overwhelmed and think I'm planning to go underground for a year! How long before everyone could go out to a store, (with someone else driving) & how long before you can sit and do anything, like sewing?
    Should I buy birthday cards for friends for the next 3 months, so i won't have to go out?
    Thanks,
    Hi Betsy, It IS overwhelming, and our recoveries vary a lot but it's not unwise to prepare for up to 2 months of not going very far, just in case. I didn't go far for about 6 weeks, but a friend of mine had the surgery in Brisbane three weeks ago, and yesterday she spent 2 hours at a very busy and crowded Home Show in Brisbane! She's back doing light housework (not vacuuming) but cooking, laundry etc. She's 50.

I've heard of some patients going back to work as early as 6 weeks but others not until 6-12 months, so you can see a wide variance there.

Best of luck with your surgery. Let us know how you go and in the meantime, ask as many questions as you can think of.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi, Betsy,
      I thought I would be giving up my life for a year with an elective surgery and I wasn't in pain pre-op. I questioned my sanity in making the decision for surgery, but went with my trust in my surgeon, Dr. Lenke, who recommended the surgery. I was uncomfortable with abdominal pain for about a month due to problems with regularity which had previously been an issue with me. I was out of the house socially at 4 weeks to attend a Super Bowl party. I only stayed an hour, but it was such a morale booster for me to see lots of friends and get compliments on my new, more youthful, appearance. At 5 weeks, I was feeling well enough to start going out for lunch or dinner with my husband driving and we went out often. John couldn't keep me down as I was so happy to get out and about once again. I felt like I totally had a social life again at 2 months and celebrated when I could start doing things I loved such as walking my dogs ( 5 months), tap dancing (6 months), chipping and putting (7 months), and finally, playing a real round of golf (12 months). I started driving to the store at about 10 weeks, although I did drive earlier than that. It was just easier to send my husband than deal with buying too many groceries and needing to make several trips into the house.
      I also thought that the "no bend, no twist, no lift, no stoop" restrictions would be horrible, but it was doable. I had "grabbers" in every room of the house. I was fortunate that my husband was a huge support and loves to cook!
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Betsy,
        I forgot to mention that I did buy all birthday and anniversary cards for four months in advance and was glad that I did.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Betsy good luck with your surgery.
          Kara
          Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
          Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
          T4-L2
          Before 50T
          After 20T

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
            Hi Betsy, It IS overwhelming, and our recoveries vary a lot but it's not unwise to prepare for up to 2 months of not going very far, just in case. I didn't go far for about 6 weeks, but a friend of mine had the surgery in Brisbane three weeks ago, and yesterday she spent 2 hours at a very busy and crowded Home Show in Brisbane! She's back doing light housework (not vacuuming) but cooking, laundry etc. She's 50.

I've heard of some patients going back to work as early as 6 weeks but others not until 6-12 months, so you can see a wide variance there.

Best of luck with your surgery. Let us know how you go and in the meantime, ask as many questions as you can think of.
            WOW Jennifer that is encouraging. It is all of these positive stories I am hanging onto. I have been reading the book Scoliosis Surgery - the definitive patients reference and although I find it very informative it is also a bit nerve racking. So keep the positive comments coming.

Comment

Betsy - how are you doing?

Hi Betsy, Just wondering how you are doing since your surgery on 4/17?

Comment

Working...
              X