Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Op Questions

Hi everyone,

I want to thank you all for being here and supporting. I am doing some mental preparation for my May 16th surgery and would like to ask what kind of chair did you use after surgery? Was it necessary to purchase another? Did you sleep in your own bed. I have been considering purchasing a new bed - perhaps a craftmatic or something like that but then I was thinking that I might have to lay flat. Sorry for so many questions but sincerely appreciate all of your responses.

Hi...

Welcome to the forums.

After my revision surgeries last year, the only chair that was really comfortable was my recliner, which is fairly firm, but has sufficient padding in the lumbar area. I actually slept in it for about 2 months, as any bed was uncomfortable for me. In general, it seems that most people prefer firm, lightly padded chairs that have an upright back.

I bought an adjustable bed before my first surgeries 20 years ago, and feel it was a very bad purchase. Laying in bed with the head of the bed raised was almost intolerable, so I got no benefit from the fact that it was adjustable. (Fortunately for you, adjustable beds are somewhat less expensive now.)

I guess my advice would be to wait until after your surgeries to purchase anything. You can always rent a hospital bed after surgery, if you feel it's necessary.

Best of luck with your surgery.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

more about chairs and sitting

Hi
      I'm glad this question came up -I was going to ask the same thing. I thought a recliner wouldn't be enough support, but it's OK? Also, how long can one sit a few weeks post-op? I read one person could only sit for couple minutes.
      Thanks,
      Betsy age 55
      Atlanta
      Milwaukee brace 1966-1972
      Surgery April 17, 2012
      fuse T4-sacrum & osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by BetsyK View Post
        Hi
        I'm glad this question came up -I was going to ask the same thing. I thought a recliner wouldn't be enough support, but it's OK? Also, how long can one sit a few weeks post-op? I read one person could only sit for couple minutes.
        Thanks,
        Hi Betsy, I agree with Linda. A chair that's upright and firm but with padding and with plenty of lumbar support is best. I thought I'd have to sit in a chair like that forever, but it's surprising how I can slouch into a soft sofa now, despite the rods. These days, my only requirement is a bit of padding at the top of my back because my rods and screws are close to the surface and feel unpleasant against a hard back.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I think that many recliners wouldn't be enough support. This sort of recliner will probably work for most:

http://www.la-z-boy.com/Product/60-1...-Leg-Recliner/
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by BetsyK View Post
            Hi
            Thanks,
            Hi Betsy, it seems you are about 1 month ahead of me for surgery so would be nice to keep in touch. All my prayers will be with you.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
              I think that many recliners wouldn't be enough support. This sort of recliner will probably work for most:

http://www.la-z-boy.com/Product/60-1...-Leg-Recliner/
              Thank you Linda and Jennifer I will be doing my homework. Did you find it hard to recline since the handles are usually on the side which will require bending to the side? P.S. thanks again for being here.

Comment

We purchased a Sleep Number bed where it can raise and lower both the head and feet--and it was a God send for me. Although it came with 2 inches of memory foam, I purchased an additional two inches and kept the number pretty low to keep it soft. It was nice to be able to raise and lower it to the percentage I felt best with.

I would raise the back support, put a pillow on my lap and watch my iPad (I subscribed to Netflix).

We have a recliner and I wasn't comfortable putting it back. I did use it after a while, but only with LOTS of pillows to make it super soft.

It takes a while to get away from need super soft, your body goes through quite a shock.

My word of advice: buy lots of pillows for around the house.

You won't be able to sit up for very long after the surgery--sometimes for 5 to 10 minutes max....but it gets longer as you heal.

Just remember it takes time to heal. Don't be too much in a hurry to get up and about for very long. Short stints are nice.

Best wishes with your surgery...
                Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                Before and after xrays:
                http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

I have a sleep number bed, and love it- but it is infinitely better sleeping with an added 4" foam topper I bought on Overstock.com post-op.

We have la-z-boy recliners similar to what Linda posted in her link, but I was not strong enough to recline them for at least a month, and they were too firm for me. I needed super soft seating for some reason. I lived in something like this for 6-8 weeks. Slept half the night in it for about 3 weeks, before I slept through the night upstairs in bed. It was the only place I sat in the living room - and it was conveniently removed when, one day I sat down, and found it really uncomfortably soft! I now reign over the kingdom of my living room in a recliner like Linda has

I was terrified before surgery and wanted so badly to be prepared. It took about 9 months beyond the surgery before I felt that I was glad I'd had it done. I'm still recovering over a year out, but then there is a lot to adjust to (your body mechanics will change and that takes time and new muscle memory). You'll be okay. Probably better than okay!
                  Female, age 38
                  4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
                  currently 64*upper/40*lower
                  Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
                  now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Well, I leave for surgery in about a week, and I have been shopping like mad! I may live to regret this, but my husband and I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought a split king adjustable memory foam bed. That means we can each adjust our own sides independently. As others have said, I'm pretty sure it will be flat in the first few months, but I am hoping to take advantage of the raised head eventually. I have reflux, so you are supposed to sleep with a raised head. Also, it was SOOOOOOOO comfortable in the store. (I do realize that will all change in about 10 days for me!)

I did all the online research, and compared Sleep Number and memory foam, and they both come out very well for back pain relief. It was time for us to get a new bed anyway, or I would have just bought a topper. But, my hubby liked the feel of the foam better, and it gets rave reviews on this site, as well. So, we took the plunge. I did not buy Tempurpedic, though, as it is $$$$. We got an iComfort--a cheaper version of Tempurpedic. I saw that you can get this set-up at Sams Club for a (relatively) reasonable price. Let me just add that all the Sleep Number and Tempurpedic beds are expensive, in my opinion.

Anyway, I am excited about the split-king part, because it means I will still be near my hubby, but will actually be on my own bed. Hence, I won't feel him move, and hopefully, he won't kick me or anything. Also hopefully I won't wake him up when I get up at night. Only bummer is it's not being delivered until Saturday. So I will only get to enjoy it for two nights before I leave for St. Louis.

For the chair, I already had a firmer recliner like Linda recommended. I do not think I will be able to recline it myself, though, as you have to push to recline. Oops! Oh well, looks like I'm going to be owing my mom even more favors. (She will be living with me for 3 months helping me with my kids.)

Good luck -- keep me posted!

Evelyn
                    age 48
                    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                      Well, I leave for surgery in about a week, and I have been shopping like mad! I may live to regret this, but my husband and I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought a split king adjustable memory foam bed. That means we can each adjust our own sides independently. As others have said, I'm pretty sure it will be flat in the first few months, but I am hoping to take advantage of the raised head eventually. I have reflux, so you are supposed to sleep with a raised head. Also, it was SOOOOOOOO comfortable in the store. (I do realize that will all change in about 10 days for me!)

I did all the online research, and compared Sleep Number and memory foam, and they both come out very well for back pain relief. It was time for us to get a new bed anyway, or I would have just bought a topper. But, my hubby liked the feel of the foam better, and it gets rave reviews on this site, as well. So, we took the plunge. I did not buy Tempurpedic, though, as it is $$$$. We got an iComfort--a cheaper version of Tempurpedic. I saw that you can get this set-up at Sams Club for a (relatively) reasonable price. Let me just add that all the Sleep Number and Tempurpedic beds are expensive, in my opinion.

Anyway, I am excited about the split-king part, because it means I will still be near my hubby, but will actually be on my own bed. Hence, I won't feel him move, and hopefully, he won't kick me or anything. Also hopefully I won't wake him up when I get up at night. Only bummer is it's not being delivered until Saturday. So I will only get to enjoy it for two nights before I leave for St. Louis.

For the chair, I already had a firmer recliner like Linda recommended. I do not think I will be able to recline it myself, though, as you have to push to recline. Oops! Oh well, looks like I'm going to be owing my mom even more favors. (She will be living with me for 3 months helping me with my kids.)

Evelyn
                      Evelyn,
                      Let me know how the bed works out. I have been thinking about getting one too!
                      Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
                      53*T 71*L
                      Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
                      Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

I have a bed on order which will be delivered to our new home. We should be closing on Thursday , I hope
                        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Yaaayyy Melissa!

Evelyn, I know you've had a long, tortuous wait and I just wanted to wish you the best possible outcome to your surgery. Looking forward to hearing it's over and that everything's going smoothly.
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post

Evelyn
                            Evelyn, All the best to you on the 14th. My prayers will be with you. Thank you for sharing, I will be doing some shopping I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by djkinkead View Post
                              We purchased a Sleep Number bed where it can raise and lower both the head and feet--and it was a God send for me. Although it came with 2 inches of memory foam, I purchased an additional two inches and kept the number pretty low to keep it soft. It was nice to be able to raise and lower it to the percentage I felt best with.

I would raise the back support, put a pillow on my lap and watch my iPad (I subscribed to Netflix).

We have a recliner and I wasn't comfortable putting it back. I did use it after a while, but only with LOTS of pillows to make it super soft.

It takes a while to get away from need super soft, your body goes through quite a shock.

My word of advice: buy lots of pillows for around the house.

You won't be able to sit up for very long after the surgery--sometimes for 5 to 10 minutes max....but it gets longer as you heal.

Just remember it takes time to heal. Don't be too much in a hurry to get up and about for very long. Short stints are nice.

Best wishes with your surgery...
                              \
                              Thanks DJ. How are you feeling now 6 months post op?

Comment

Working...
                              X