Three years and all's well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three years and all's well

Today marks three years since my surgery. The time has sped by. Life is very busy and I'm one of the lucky ones who has no pain and can do pretty much anything. (Doc says no heavy lifting and no running.) I still walk most days and life's good.

Unfortunately 5 months ago I was diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, which is a thickened heart muscle, which is probably genetic, (as is my scoli, which my maternal grandmother had) though we don't know of anyone in the family with heart problems. This means I need to take beta blockers every day. The medication makes me feel generally unwell, but without it, my heart will gradually fail.

But again, I feel I've been lucky, because it was discovered, and is treatable and I'm still able to do anything I want.

I have my business and I have three lovely little granddaughters who play a big part in my life, to keep me busy. The surgery was the best thing I ever did for myself and it's not just on my anniversary that I think gratefully of Dr. Askin and what he achieved for me.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Congratulations on your third anniversary!

You have been an inspiration and mentor to those of us who have come after you with pre-surgery and recovery. Though it has been three years, you remain an active voice on this Forum. Thank you very much for all your advice.

Luckily, the doctors found your heart problem and there is medication to help. "Better living through chemistry." lol

Wishing you many pain-free years ahead to enjoy your "new" back.

Cheers, Irene
    1996 x-rays (none read recently) 50 degrees thoracic, 40 degrees lumbar
    Never braced, found out I had scoliosis at age 28
    At time of surgery, multi-level disc spondylotic degeneration,
    advanced lumbar degeneration, stenosis
    65 years young and very active but no lengthy walks or standing without pain
    Now, 67. walking and standing as much as I want
    Surgery Dec. 7, 2010
    T10-S1 posterior
    Dr. Rand
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston,
    http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee369/itr1/

Comment

jennfier congrads
      Kara
      Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
      Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
      T4-L2
      Before 50T
      After 20T

Comment

Jennifer, i am so glad to hear how well you are doing 3 years after your surgery...
        you are the kindest person, and always ready to share your own experience on
        this forum....
        it is nice when someone so nice has such good news!
        wishing you an eternity of continued support from your new, straight spine...
        glad to hear your heart problem is being treated and under control...

jess...& Sparky

Comment

Jennifer,
          Congratulations on your third year anniversary. You have given me such wonderful advice and encouragement, as well. I am sorry to hear of your heart condition, but it is good that it can be treated. You are an inspiration to so many of us on the forum. Thank you!!!!
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Thank you all for your lovely words. I've learned so much from this forum and "met" so many great people here, despite being half a world away, it's been a real pleasure.

We're going down the beach tonight, to have fish and chips on the sand and that will be our celebration. (Of course, I'll take a low beach chair for comfort!)

Comment

Jen

Congratulations. You have done well especially since scoliosis curves run backwards down under. lol

Someday, I will come visit you. Its on my list.

Thx for all the great posts!
              Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Jennifer--
                Congratulations! I've always felt we were sort of kindred spirits being the same age--I'm 60 now too--got to change that signature!--and having very similar surgeries and just a few weeks apart. You are always such a positive help! I'm very sorry that the heart problem has surfaced but hope the meds will help and not continue to make you feel less than your best. Of course, it's so important it was found. Enjoy your beach celebration. Best wishes on continued improvement. Janet
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Jennifer,

I am so happy for you that your three year anniversary from scoliosis surgery has proven to be such a great success. You deserve it. Your compassion and advice to others is so mature and right on the money. Most of the time when you post, I have nothing else to say because you have already said it all. Thanks for being a major asset of this great Forum.

I'm sorry about your heart problems but glad there is medication to help. Hopefully after you have been on it awhile, you will start to feel much better. My brother was put on heart medication more than a year ago and is now finally getting his stamina back.

My best to you, Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Thanks Janet! I've felt the same - kindred spirits - you're my scoli twin. <smiley face> Having very similar scoli experiences but more than that, you are such a warm person, I've always felt drawn to you.

Ed, I'll hold you to that. We have the HMAS Brisbane sunk just off the coast here which is fast becoming a popular dive spot.

Tell me, how's your neck? Perhaps you've written about it elsewhere. I'll have a look.

Comment

No, I have not, my visit was yesterday.....My C5/6 is taking a dump and I have bone spurs in the area. Age related stuff. The rest of my spine is fine.

You just don’t jump in and do surgery....it’s the same situation as before and I will basically wait this one out. He recommended shots....I have no experience with those.

What are you going to do? I think the next time my neck acts up, I will lay down on my bed supine, and hang my neck off so the disc will expand.....I sure hope it doesn’t herniate, that has got to hurt like the dickens.

I will look up that shipwreck.
                      Ed
                      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thank you Sally.

That's good news to me, about your brother getting his stamina back. I think I can detect slight improvement over the last 5 months, so I am hoping the same will happen to me.

Comment

Are these steroid shots Ed? I can't help but think it's not fair, you've been through enough. But hopefully the shots will give you relief long term. If you go the surgery route some day, do you know what it is they do about the spurs etc.? Could they be a result of having the spine below, fused?

Comment

Awww...thanks, Jennifer, feel the same here!

Ed--Do you know what the surgery might be like? Not sure if this is similar but my mother-in-law just had laminectomy surgery on her 3 bottom vertebra. Scraped away all arthritis/spurs, etc. which caused her dreadful leg pains due to the stenosis. 2 hour surgery. She literally was in the hospital 48 hours and out. She's 87! She is so happy--has her life back. In fact, I'm taking my 86-year-oldmother to the same doctor from Omaha in March. Her back/neck is a mess. Not so sure he can do anything but thought it was worth a try. Don't know if this applies but thought I'd throw that in. Janet
                            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                              Jennifer, i am so glad to hear how well you are doing 3 years after your surgery...
                              you are the kindest person, and always ready to share your own experience on
                              this forum....
                              it is nice when someone so nice has such good news!
                              wishing you an eternity of continued support from your new, straight spine...
                              glad to hear your heart problem is being treated and under control...

jess...& Sparky
                              I couldn't have said it better!

Comment

Working...
                              X