PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper article

ADMoul
02-28-2012, 04:38 PM
So I was home sick with the flu several weeks ago and saw a request in the local paper for people willing to share their stories about "taking a leap of faith" to coincide with Leap Year. I sent a brief note about my surgery and it turned into a feature article in our local paper. I am not someone who likes to have attention focused on themselves, but I thought my story might be helpful to others and the young reporter did a wonderful job with it. If you copy and paste the link below into your browser, you should be able to read my story.

http://www.ydr.com/living/ci_20055347

jrnyc
02-28-2012, 05:42 PM
thanks, Anne
what a great article....

jess

leahdragonfly
02-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Hi Anne,

thanks for sharing that inspiring article! It was very well done. I am sure it will help other scoli's out there who read it.

Doodles
02-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Anne--
What a great article! I guess it certainly is a leap of faith for us. Janet

debbei
02-29-2012, 10:49 AM
that is so fantastic Anne! And btw, you look FABULOUS!

I get what you mean about taking that leap and putting all faith in your surgeon. If I ddin't feel that way I never could have gone thru with the surgery.

mabeckoff
02-29-2012, 11:48 AM
What a great article! You look great Anne

Confusedmom
02-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks for sharing this. I will show it to my family/friends who don't understand this whole thing. It brings it down to the "layman's level." Also, tell the reporter she did a nice job. I once was a reporter for a community newspaper, and I can tell you that not everyone does as well as she did.

Best,
Evelyn

Singer
03-01-2012, 06:10 AM
Yes, thanks for posting this -- it was great. It's nice to see you!

dolores a
03-01-2012, 07:53 AM
The article was great not only for those considering surgery, but also as Evelyn said, it explained everything so clearly. I show the article to my co-worker, she read it with such understanding and interest. Thanks again, and you do look great.

backissues
03-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Terrific article. It really explains the situation very well. I, too, couldn't stand or walk very far. It is very limiting. There is a sense of freedom when you can walk and stand without pain. Also, you don't have to make arrangements with so many aspects of your life.

Thanks for sharing.
Irene

golfnut
03-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Anne,
I truly enjoyed reading that article and learning more about you. After reading the article, I just now told my husband what a great group of people are members of this forum. Music is an important part of my life, as well. Thank you for sharing the nice article. (I always had to have one leg of my pants shortened due to one hip being higher than the other, too)

JenniferG
03-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Great article Anne! Thanks for sharing it with us.

titaniumed
03-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Anne

Very nice. Brings back memories.

Back in the 70’s when we were dx’d, we thought we were the only one’s with this “curvy spine” and you were just over in the next state from me at that time. In fact, there were many of us going through the same thing. I also was extremely scared of surgery at that time.

Its great that you offered to do the article, it brings awareness. Just about every person you talk to “knows” someone with scoliosis.

Ed

Pooka1
03-03-2012, 12:11 PM
The article was great not only for those considering surgery, but also as Evelyn said, it explained everything so clearly. I show the article to my co-worker, she read it with such understanding and interest. Thanks again, and you do look great.

I am always amazed at how random lay people who would never in a million years consider offering their opinion to, say, a particle physicist on his research will nevertheless feel completely competent to advise folks against spine surgery.

Being well-meaning while being abjectly ignorant is not helpful and usually makes things harder for the patient. Articles like this will help with that problem.

rohrer01
03-03-2012, 03:36 PM
I am always amazed at how random lay people who would never in a million years consider offering their opinion to, say, a particle physicist on his research will nevertheless feel completely competent to advise folks against spine surgery.

Being well-meaning while being abjectly ignorant is not helpful and usually makes things harder for the patient. Articles like this will help with that problem.

I don't recall reading anywhere than anyone was advising against spine surgery. I guess I don't follow what you mean.

Is spine surgery a difficult decision? YES, for many it is. It is a committment made that cannot be undone. I think that was the reason for calling it a "leap of faith", if this is indeed what you are referring to.

Pooka1
03-03-2012, 04:07 PM
I don't recall reading anywhere than anyone was advising against spine surgery. I guess I don't follow what you mean.

I am referring to the testimonials where was have lay "surgeons" advising folks.

The most recent one had a grandmother actually blaming the parents in that many words for a grandson needing scoliosis surgery because they didn't remind the kid to not slouch. This is taking abject ignorance to operatic levels and compounds the problem by making the parents feel even worse than they already did knowing their child was facing surgery. A grandmother with no training WHATSOEVER (obviously). Breath-taking.

ETA: The grandmother also blamed the parents for not watching the situation closely enough as if that would have necessarily avoided surgery. It's breath-taking.

rohrer01
03-03-2012, 04:17 PM
I guess I'll have to reread it. I thought it was neat that Anne was featured, though.

Pooka1
03-03-2012, 04:40 PM
I guess I'll have to reread it. I thought it was neat that Anne was featured, though.

I'm talking about the testimonials over the years here on the forum. I am not talking about anything mentioned in the article. I am saying if we had more articles like that then maybe there would be less lay "surgical" opinions flying around.

titaniumed
03-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Sharon

That was the old mindset..... My parents were the same way 40 years ago....Surgery? Are you nuts? Most scoli surgeries were done in NYC back in those days and just the thought of going to NYC was scary. (sorry New Yorker’s....blame it on Mayor Lindsay) 9 murders every day in Manhattan in the 70’s but Mexico is on the state department travel warning list? Funny, I want to go down to Phoenix, 13 were shot last night, but not hearing any warnings from anyone.

????

Funny how and where we get our information...(smiley face)

Ed