PDA

View Full Version : Return to Work

rockycarm
02-21-2012, 06:22 PM
Hi everyone,

I am curious for those who have jobs, how long before you were able to return to work. I was thinking probably between 4-5 months. I realize everyone is different but want to see what others have to say.

Thanks.

Marina63
02-21-2012, 06:37 PM
Seven weeks. Of course it depends on the type of job.

timetofaceit
02-21-2012, 07:46 PM
I started back part-time at 6 weeks --- mornings MWF. The TLSO brace makes it kinda difficult but we're managing.

leahdragonfly
02-21-2012, 08:11 PM
I returned to work at 14 weeks post-op. I still had significant activity restrictions, and have a physically demanding job, so I went back on limited duty, with my activities limited to doing seated computer work.

It really was a few weeks too soon for me, as I was exhausted and had an increase in pain for at least several weeks. But I was just so bored at home, and under financial pressure to return sooner.

I think 4-5 months is a very good estimate, and maybe you will be pleasantly surprised and able to go back back sooner.

rockycarm
02-22-2012, 05:54 AM
I returned to work at 14 weeks post-op. I still had significant activity restrictions, and have a physically demanding job, so I went back on limited duty, with my activities limited to doing seated computer work.

It really was a few weeks too soon for me, as I was exhausted and had an increase in pain for at least several weeks. But I was just so bored at home, and under financial pressure to return sooner.

I think 4-5 months is a very good estimate, and maybe you will be pleasantly surprised and able to go back back sooner.

Thank you all for your input - it is very encouraging.

knitter
02-27-2012, 09:59 AM
Does anyone have any ideas about how soon someone who sits at a desk and can get up to move whenever they need to might expect to go back to work? I need to start planning my surgery, but haven't been on the job for a year yet, so would like to keep the time off to a minimum.

Marina63
02-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Knitter, I have a job just as you describe. The one thing I would say is the MOST important to consider is the chair that you will be sitting in. I went back to work 7 weeks after my surgery (brand new job). I still bring in pillows for the chair I sit in. You won't know what is comfortable and what isn't until after your surgery. I thought a lazy boy would be perfect but found out the contoured back rest was and still is very uncomfortable. I need a straight back and something to support my head, if possible. The chair here at work has none of those features, thus the pillow. My employer offered to get me a new/better chair but I need to go and sit in a chair before I know what I can sit in. I've just been to lazy to go and do it.
Good luck!

LindaRacine
02-27-2012, 02:49 PM
I was back to work full time (which includes a lot of sitting) at about 4 months. I agree about the chair, but unfortunately, you won't really know what works best for you until after you've had surgery, and have the chance to sit for at least a few hours at a time.

--Linda

djkinkead
03-03-2012, 12:52 PM
I started teleworking an hour or so a day at two months and kept upping the hours as I gained strength and brain power. :-) Started going to the office around four months a couple days a week and teleworked the other days. Went back full time about four and half months.

Now at six months, I have gone on my first business trip. Did bring a memory foam pillow to use on the plane and in the rental car. It helped a lot.

What is interesting, since I still have a bit of a hump in my back on the right side, I wonder if I will ever not need a pillow at work. I just can't sit in a normal office chair. We'll see.

I am very happy to have better breathing capability....