Lifting heavy objects before and after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifting heavy objects before and after surgery

I'm not referring to weights at the gym - I'm interested in every day activities that involve lifting something heavy and how that changes after surgery. I have a severe double curve and I'm planning to have the surgery next year. I can lift two 10 pound weights at the gym and do shoulder presses, but then I was lifting my 15lb cast iron griddle from the stove to the sink and threw out my back. I also experience problems lifting luggage into over-head compartments (I'm very short, which doesn't help) and if I try to pick up a child 25 lbs or heavier.

So my question to the group is this: how much weight could you lift before the surgery, and how does that change afterwards (once the restrictions are lifted, obviously)?

Many people here don't have restrictions on weight lifting after their surgery, but I was told not to lift heavy weights, mainly due to protecting the unfused portion of spine above my T4 fusion. That, and no running are my ongoing restrictions.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Lifting

Before surgery I had no problems lifting and could lift very heavy objects. I am six months post op and haven't traveled by plane yet (overhead bins can be difficult!!) but asked my doctor about lifting suitcases and such and he said, go for it! We are flying to DC in April and I plan to hoist my own carry on luggage in to the overhead bin. I am tall so that does help. I go to the grocery store and lift boxes of bottled water. The key is to keep the heavy object as close to your body as possible. I've lifted other heavy things with no problems.
      50 years old!!!!!
      Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
      Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
      Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
      Surgery 07/11/2011
      Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Working...
      X