Interesting article on addiction to meds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting article on addiction to meds

I found this article while reading all the horrible news on Whitney....

http://healthland.time.com/2010/12/0...oure-addicted/

After my surgery, I remember being upset to find out that I was physically dependent on the medication when I tried to stop. It took me a few extra weeks to taper off even more slowly than I was doing but I did it.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Good article Debbei. I never believed I was addicted, dependent yes. I didn't feel a strong urge to take the medication, I wanted to get off them as fast as possible. I hated taking them. But I had to do it slowly because of the side effects.

It would have helped at the time, if my surgeon had been accessible to answer questions. Was given no warning this might happen, nor any help going through it. I think we should all leave hospital with written advice on withdrawing from the meds.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Very interesting article.

Thanks for sharing
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

I'm sure that makes a lot of us feel better. Thanks. I experienced abrupt withdrawal symptoms for the first time after a c-section where they were giving very strong narcotics in the hospital and sent me home with nothing. It didn't last long, fortunately. But I think ALL surgery patients should be warned not to quit abruptly to avoid side effects. I have had other periods of withdrawal symptoms going off of painkillers after bad pain episodes with my back. It's not fun, but can be done more easily with a doctor's help.
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
        X