No announcement yet.

Trying to figure out how to handle public bathroom when assistive device needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to figure out how to handle public bathroom when assistive device needed

All,

I'm preparing to go out for several hours to a hair salon, a diner, and a mall to practice walking. At home when I use the bathroom, I use an adaptive pair of tongs and wet wipes, not to mention my grabber. I'm not sure how to handle use of a public bathroom where I won't have wet wipes, tongs, or a grabber (my husband removes it from walker before putting walker in car).

While it would be simple enough to bring a grabber with me, I just can't see bringing the tongs, especially when I don't have a place to put them. I'd have to carry them with me in my hand, which would be very embarrassing as well as look rather ridiculous.

What do you do under similar circumstances?

-- Thanks,
    Mary
    -- Mary D. Taffet
    Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
    Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

I simply carry my tongs and wipes in a totebag. There are grabbers that fold that could fit there are well.
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
      I simply carry my tongs and wipes in a totebag. There are grabbers that fold that could fit there are well.
      Melissa,

Thanks for your reply. I guess when I get to the point of carrying something with me that isn't in my pockets, I can try that. But for now, everything I have with me outside of the house is in one of two pockets in my fleece jacket. I also have a longish zip pocket in my outermost coat layer, so that might be a possibility.

-- Thanks again,
      Mary
      -- Mary D. Taffet
      Lumbar curve 27 degrees in 07/2007 > 34 degrees in 03/2009 > 38 degrees in 02/2011 > 42 degrees in 09/2011
      Laminectomy L2-L5, Fusion T9-S1 (sacrum) with pelvic fixation 01/23/2012 w/ Dr. Richard Tallarico, Upstate Orthopedics, Syracuse, NY

Comment

Originally posted by mdtaffet View Post
        Melissa,

Thanks for your reply. I guess when I get to the point of carrying something with me that isn't in my pockets, I can try that. But for now, everything I have with me outside of the house is in one of two pockets in my fleece jacket. I also have a longish zip pocket in my outermost coat layer, so that might be a possibility.

-- Thanks again,
        Mary
        Can't you put a tote bag on the walker?
        Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
          Can't you put a tote bag on the walker?
          Melissa,

I suppose I could try, if there were a way to fasten it on so that it wouldn't fall off.

-- Thanks,
          Mary
          -- Mary D. Taffet

Comment

Originally posted by mdtaffet View Post
            Melissa,

I suppose I could try, if there were a way to fasten it on so that it wouldn't fall off.

-- Thanks,
            Mary
            If you google walker tote bags, you will find many.I am sure that you can find something that will help you
            Melissa

Comment

carabiner clamp?

There are these novelty clamps - that I use for many purpose: see if this link works:

http://www.amazon.com/Harley-Davidso.../dp/B006IUUAJC

You may have to copy & paste the URL to see this, or google "carabiner"

anyway, you can use these clamps to hook the handles of the tote bag around the walker, just try it at home first, it will be bulky and the tote bag may throw you off balance, depending on how heavy the tote bag is. Any way you can divide this outing into smaller segments, until you feel more comfortable tackling each activity in public? praying all goes well... Jamie in Texas
              57 years old.
              thoracic curve 68 degrees
              lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
              Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
              Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
              THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

I had a tote that was made to attach to my walker. For example:

http://www.amazon.com/NOVA-Hanging-W...068755&sr=1-23
                http://www.amazon.com/Walker-Basket-...068815&sr=1-31
                http://www.amazon.com/Duro-Med-Unive...068838&sr=1-45
                http://www.amazon.com/WALKER-BASKET-...068876&sr=1-55
                http://www.amazon.com/Caselogic-Mpo-...068910&sr=1-71

I always hooked my grabber onto the walker.

Regards,
                Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I carried my 'Bottom Buddy' and a pack of wipes in a tote bag for my first few outings.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
                  X