Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I be worried?

Hi all,

So here I am closing in on 5 years post-op and have been chugging along pretty well. In the past month or so, I've been having increasing pain in my neck...it's on the right side around toward the back and almost feels like a toothache -- a deep but dull ache. I'm aware of pillows, sleeping position, etc.....try to keep my head level with my spine while lying down and all that. But the other day while I was driving, I turned my head to the right and felt this really weird warm flushing feeling that spread over my ear and the right side of my face and then all the way down my right side. Very weird and scary. There was no snapping or popping feeling....just this weird icy-hot flush.

I don't have numbness or pins and needles in my arms or legs but wondered if anyone else has felt anything like this. I'm scheduled to see Boachie in May or June but I suppose I should see somewhat before that...? Any ideas on this are greatly appreciated.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Not fused yet here, so I'm definitely not an expert, but for what it's worth, I'd say call your doctor. It can't hurt to call. It looks like your fusion stops at T10, so I wouldn't think it would be affecting your neck. I wonder if it could be something unrelated? An ear infection? Swimmer's ear? I mention that only because my son had a swimmer's ear infection that went into his cheek and jaw. Anyway, you obviously want to make sure it's not an infection related to the fusion. Did the pain get worse or better after the "flushing feeling"? Hope everything works out okay!!

Best,
    Evelyn
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Chris

I wouldn’t worry too much, but would have it looked at. My neck snaps every once in a while, and when it gets stiff I have it adjusted at the Chiropractor. I hope this doesn’t continue.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi. I looked at your fusion levels, too. My guess is that it is something unrelated. I'm wondering if you pulled a muscle in your neck. I've had some pretty strange sensations in my neck from muscle tension. Is your posture still good? I only ask because I'm wondering if you are developing kyphosis. If you are in good posture still, then my guess is as good as anybody's. I would definitely tell at least your primary care physician about it. He/she will be in more of a position to determine if it is fusion related. It couldn't hurt to give Boachie's office a call and ask what he thinks, either. Sorry, I'm not much help. It's just some suggestions.

Take Care,
        Rohrer01
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

I'm a bit freaked out because last night it hurt so much I had to lie down -- the first time in years I've had to do that because of pain. The thought of kyphosis has crossed my mind, especially since the vertebrae on the back of my neck stick out a lot -- to the naked eye, anyway. I will make an appointment to see my regular doc and then take it from there. Of course I'm hoping it's muscular but it feels more like nerve pain to me....ugh.
          Chris

Comment

Neck pain can be very debilitating. I hope you can get in to your doctor today and find out what it is. You may be developing some arthritis in your neck or have a pinched nerve. Do you have any tingling or numbness down one arm? How frequent have these episodes become or is it constant? I ask this because, as you probably know from reading the boards, that I have a very high and tight upper thoracic curve that affects my neck. I also have radicular pain down my arm, mostly on one side. The only thing that they were able to "find" was some mild arthritis with drying up discs. I was told it doesn't take very much arthritis to cause a tremendous amount of pain. I was only 29 at that time and I'm 43 now and I see you are older than me, so that's why I suggested that possibility. I hope it goes away soon what ever it is.

Take Care.
            Rohrer01
            Last edited by rohrer01; 02-06-2012, 06:43 AM.
            Be happy!
            but we are alive today!

Comment

Hi,

I might get it checked out by a doctor just to be sure things are still in place. I am 25 years post-op and I can tell you that I have a LOT of muscle aches and pains. I have never had any problems with the actual surgery but as I get older I have increased aches and pains. I do yoga and move my body as often as I can to keep the muscles strong and flexible and for me that's the only thing that helps. I still have the occassional spasm and it can be very painful for a few weeks. Stretching really does help.

Comment

No worries

Just wanted to update that I went to see my primary doc and she did not feel it was related in any way to the fusion. I'd been working on the computer a lot lately and she thought it was related to how I've been holding my head, and gave me some range-of-motion stretching exercises to do. After three days of doing them, the ache is just about gone. I'm sooooo relieved. Thanks to all who responded.
                Chris

Comment

That's great news! It's always a plus when something as simple as stretching can make it better.

Take Care.
                  Rohrer01
                  Be happy!
                  but we are alive today!

Comment

Great news!!!!
                    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                    Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Age-60 at the time of surgery
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Glad to hear that it was something simple
                      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

I was holding my breath for you... glad to hear the good news.
                        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
                        X