Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wearing a TLSO brace to school

Hey Everybody!

I am 12 almost 13 and in 7th grade!! I am loving school until i got my TLSO brace!! I haven't worn it to school cuz i am very afraid of people making fun of me! I am popular(not to sound like a witch but) so like everyone knows who I am, *&* i am afraid that i might get lauged @ if i wear it to school! All my friends know and they said that they will yell @ the people if they make fun of me! (thank God for friends) Is there anyone out there with a TLSO brace that could help me? Open for any advice!!

Thank You,

Tatjana

Hello! I wore a TLSO brace and I had it in 6th grade. No one ever made fun of me. All my friends knew about it and were so supportive and nice about it. When I was on the school soccer team that year, I still had my brace and my friend whpo also made the team was like " I am so worried about you getting hurt in your brace." She didn't know I didn't wear it for sports because I didn't take it off for PE normally. I just sat out. You might get some questions about what it is (I got alot of those questions) Good luck!
    ~*Lauren*~
    Braced for 5 months
    Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
    Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
    Surgery on April 26th 2005
    Fused from T3-L4
    Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Comment

Hi Tatjana

As the old saying says, the longer you leave it, the harder it'll be. I don't wear a TLSO brace now, butt............... I did, and did so for 9 years all up (7 years in a row then two more years) and the last two years were in the "yucko years" of schooling, that is Year 7 and Year 8, where image and trying to fit in and look like anyone else is very important, so I've been there and remember very much what it was like.

If you look through threads on here and on Spinekids http://www.spinekids.com/boards you'll find lots of ways people have found to hide their brace whilst still wearing relatively "normal" clothes and not look frumpy and unfashionable, some of them are pretty ingenious....well I think so. On Spinekids you'll find lots of supportive and caring girls, who many have worn a brace at some stage (including to school for most of them) and either are still wearing their brace or have had/waiting for surgery

A lot of it "peoples reactions" ultimately comes back down to you and how you feel about the brace. If you don't make a big deal about it and are comfortable in wearing it, you'll most likely find that people won't either, and half of them probably won't even notice, cause the first thing you look at is a person's face, not the rest of their body. They may see/say that you look a little bit "bigger" with the brace but that's about it.

And you can always use the power of humour and the power of your friends if you find that some people are a bit mean or are staring at you. Dare them to punch you in the stomach, or make a joke about having abs of steel, or being bitten by a shark and you were in a serious accident and need to wear a brace to recover. And your friends sound WONDERFUL and you'll have them backing you up and defending you all the way which is one of the most important things. You may find yourself having to explain lots about "what's that thing under your clothes" but after awhile people will get used to it and won't ask you any more and some will probably even forget.

The first day will be the hardest, there's no denying that. And it'sperfectly O.K to feel scared, its a completley normal emotion. You'll feel weird, very exposed and probably a bit stiff. But, first days are always the worst, whatever the situation, and after that it will get easier, and will get better, you just need to get over the elusive "first day hurdle". You are in the most important time "growth spurt wise", where a brace really does have to be worn for all the time it is supposed to, so that it can be given the full chance to do the job that it is trying to do, and a saying I like is that, a brace on top of the cupboard or not worn for the full time is not very effective, because it can only do its job part of the time.

Alison

Comment

Hi Tatjana

As the old saying says, the longer you leave it, the harder it'll be. I don't wear a TLSO brace now, butt............... I did, and did so for 9 years all up (7 years in a row then two more years) and the last two years were in the "yucko years" of schooling, that is Year 7 and Year 8, where image and trying to fit in and look like anyone else is very important, so I've been there and remember very much what it was like.

If you look through threads on here and on Spinekids http://www.spinekids.com/boards you'll find lots of ways people have found to hide their brace whilst still wearing relatively "normal" clothes and not look frumpy and unfashionable, some of them are pretty ingenious....well I think so. On Spinekids you'll find lots of supportive and caring girls, who many have worn a brace at some stage (including to school for most of them) and either are still wearing their brace or have had/waiting for surgery

A lot of it "peoples reactions" ultimately comes back down to you and how you feel about the brace. If you don't make a big deal about it and are comfortable in wearing it, you'll most likely find that people won't either, and half of them probably won't even notice, cause the first thing you look at is a person's face, not the rest of their body. They may see/say that you look a little bit "bigger" with the brace but that's about it.

And you can always use the power of humour and the power of your friends if you find that some people are a bit mean or are staring at you. Dare them to punch you in the stomach, or make a joke about having abs of steel, or being bitten by a shark and you were in a serious accident and need to wear a brace to recover. And your friends sound WONDERFUL and you'll have them backing you up and defending you all the way which is one of the most important things. You may find yourself having to explain lots about "what's that thing under your clothes" but after awhile people will get used to it and won't ask you any more and some will probably even forget.

The first day will be the hardest, there's no denying that. And it'sperfectly O.K to feel scared, its a completley normal emotion. You'll feel weird, very exposed and probably a bit stiff. But, first days are always the worst, whatever the situation, and after that it will get easier, and will get better, you just need to get over the elusive "first day hurdle". You are in the most important time "growth spurt wise", where a brace really does have to be worn for all the time it is supposed to, so that it can be given the full chance to do the job that it is trying to do, and a saying I like is that, a brace on top of the cupboard or not worn for the full time is not very effective, because it can only do its job part of the time.

Alison

Comment

Working...
        X