PDA

View Full Version : Massage right Before surgery? Surgery next week!

Roxjanine
01-25-2012, 01:37 PM
My surgery is next Thursday. I was speaking with a massage therapist and they recommended that I get a fewdeep tissue massages before surgery since my muscles are so knotted up. ( I have a huge knot in my right neck, upper back, shoulder area due to my curve) With my muscles being so pulled and pushed together into knots, I was wondering if anyone was ever recommended to get it loosened up before surgery?

JenniferG
01-25-2012, 02:46 PM
I didn't think of it, but I think it's an excellent idea. Certainly can't hurt.

Mojo's Mom
01-25-2012, 02:53 PM
How about a whole DAY of massage, facial, manicure, pedicure, full-on spa day, as much as you can afford!

TOscoliosis
01-25-2012, 06:33 PM
I am coming at this from a different angle from previous posters. I am pre-surgery and my work is somewhat similar to massage - I do a kind of manual therapy. I think it would be great for you to treat yourself to one or more massages before your surgery. It may help relax you before the big day.

If you're interested in getting massaged to help the surgery go more smoothly, I'm not sure that massage would have a material effect on how the surgery goes. You'll be under anesthetic, which tends to have a more loosening effect on tight muscles than a massage or two, and I imagine that scoliosis surgeons are used to working with backs that have some knotty muscles in them, and will not experience them as much of a hindrance.

Good luck! I hope your surgery is a complete success and that your recovery is fast and full.

rohrer01
01-26-2012, 01:06 AM
How about a whole DAY of massage, facial, manicure, pedicure, full-on spa day, as much as you can afford!

I think that sounds like a WONDERFUL idea for anyone about to have major spine surgery! They should include it in the scoliosis "package" as a way to reduce stress and anxiety over the surgery AND get the insurance to pay for it! LOL ... I know I'm living in a fantasy world right now, but it would be nice. :-)

Roxjanine
01-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Hi all,

I started a new blog since my surgery is coming up soon. Hope its helpful! http://everythingwillbejustspine.blogspot.com/2012/01/first-blog-post.html

JenniferG
01-26-2012, 10:43 PM
Great little blog, and great therapy, I would imagine. Best of luck Roxjanine, you're nearly there.

rohrer01
01-27-2012, 01:39 AM
That's a really clever name for your blog! It's nice to read these when people are willing to share their experiences with the public. It's really helpful for those of us who are behind you on this rollercoaster called scoliosis - pun intended!

djkinkead
01-27-2012, 07:51 PM
Stephanie--WHY didn't I think of the whole day spa experience before the surgery. DAAANNNGGG!!!

Sigh.

Yes, I agree a massage before the surgery would be a good thing....

mabeckoff
01-27-2012, 09:18 PM
You would have to remove the nail polish ,however before your surgery