Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arm went numb 2.5 weeks after surgery while taking a walk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arm went numb 2.5 weeks after surgery while taking a walk?

Jacob just told me that his left arm went completely numb while out walking late this afternoon w his dad. He's had moderate pain in his left shoulder since surgery, we'd assumed as his his muscles, etc continue to adjust to his correction. This is a new development. Anyone have any ideas?
    Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
    Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
    Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
    Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
    photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Just happened again, and he says it's like cold pins and needles, largely by his elbow and radiating out?

Comment

The nerves controlling the arms exit the spine in the cervical region. His fusion starts at T3. Unless the fusion is driving some change above the fusion, I think it is impossible for the fusion to be causing the arm issues.

You need an answer as to what is causing the arm issues. The surgeon will hopefully know.
      Last edited by Pooka1; 01-24-2012, 07:13 AM.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Thanks Sharon. I'll call him in the morning. Do you think the lordosis correction had anything at all to do w it, even tho it was all T?

Comment

Hi...

If your son can point to the specific areas that are affected, you might be able to link it to a specific exiting nerve by looking at dermatomes:

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedic...com/dermatomes

I definitely think you should report it to the surgeon's office tomorrow.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks very much Linda, will call tmrw morning. Funny thing is that none of the nerves for the arm, from both your link and from Sharon, weren't included in the fusion. Curious as to what's going on, but will let you know.

Comment

Yes, but as Sharon said, the fusion might have changed his biomechanics enough to have caused a problem in the neck.
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hi Sharon and Linda - reached Dr Cronen yesterday morning, he said the numbness wouldn't be related to the surgery, and we're giving it a few days. Jacob briefly had a cool feeling and some numbness in it today around the elbow, again while out walking, but it was much less of a feeling than yesterday & just briefly. It's when he is out walking or when he's pacing around inside, that both this arm situation arises and his shoulder begins to bother him - not the shoulder which hurt before surgery. I quizzed the heck out of him as to whether he's been sleeping on that arm, how long he was playing Wii, etc. Much better day all total than yesterday, and it seems we are once again progressing well in all other areas.

Comment

Since the symptom is only occurring while up and moving around, I doubt it's caused by sleeping incorrectly, sitting too long, etc. If you have the ability to post postop X-rays, I'll have one of the docs I work for look at them to see if they can figure it out.

--Linda

Comment

Originally posted by LSKOCH5 View Post
                    Hi Sharon and Linda - reached Dr Cronen yesterday morning, he said the numbness wouldn't be related to the surgery,
                    He probably means it can't be caused DIRECTLY by the surgery because the fusion starts at T3 and the nerves that are involved in the arm issues originate in the neck.

You should ask him SPECIFICALLY if the biomechanics of the neck area could have been changed due to the straightening of the T curve as Linda mentioned. Did the surgeon ever directly address the stiff neck issue while your son was in the hospital? DId he know your son had a stiff neck? That is not a usual thing as far as I can tell and may map to the same issue causing the arm symptoms.

Was he hyper-corrected?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

By the way, both my kids had very similar pre-op Cobb angles as your son. One was 57* and one was 58* which is identical to your son.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by LSKOCH5 View Post
                        Thanks Sharon. I'll call him in the morning. Do you think the lordosis correction had anything at all to do w it, even tho it was all T?
                        I just saw this... how did the surgeon correct the lordosis if the fusion ended at L1?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

My guess is that once the spine was straightened, normal lordosis would return. It could have been a compensatory problem having to do with spinal rotation.
                          Be happy!
                          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                          but we are alive today!

Comment

Sorry, was sick for a couple days, ugh. Sharon - I don't know the mechanics of it, but he corrected it. I don't know how to post photos and xrays, but I'd be glad to post if someone will tell me how. I've searched all over board & profile area roses how . Very thankful to say that Jacob has not had any further issues of numbness since the last time I posted about it. He's doing great now & is just getting bored -just in time for home schooling lol!
                            Last edited by LSKOCH5; 01-29-2012, 05:54 AM. Reason: Asking for help for posting photos/xrays

Comment

Working...
                            X