Pre-Op appointment freaked me out!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Op appointment freaked me out!!!

I went to see Dr Vora at Hershey Medical yesterday for my pre-op appt. And well, I am now freaking out that something will go wrong! Things I am freaked out about:

He said my spine is rigid and that he only expects 50-60% correction ( I was hoping for a better correction since one of my "incentives" was having a better looking body-not that I am doing this for cosmetic reasons, the idea helped me with coping with what is to come). Right now my curve is 60 degrees- I am hoping I see a difference..........

I had to sign a disclosure stating that there is no guarantee that my surgery will be successful and I could actually get worse. I know these are typical things that you have to sign before having a major surgery, but the idea still freaks me out! Yes I am in pain almost everyday, but I can still work and live a good life. I am afraid I will mess up the life I have now for no reason. I am afraid I will be worse off.

The are putting a tube through my artery to keep track of my blood pressure at all times. Besides already dealing with my spine, I am afraid that someone will mess up. I know it sounds silly, since these are experienced doctors but still...

I am so unsure about everything and its stressing me out. I know in the end I should get the surgery, but I need to put my mind at ease because I am stressing myself out. If anyone can give me any encouragement, I would greatly appreciate it!
    Thoracic curve approx 62 degrees,
    Lower curve of approx 38 degrees
    27 years old
    http://pennstatehershey.org/findaprovider/provider/1507
    Scheduled for Spinal Fusion 2/2/2012
    T2-L2 or L3
    Engaged to be married on 4.6.2013!

Originally posted by Roxjanine View Post
    I went to see Dr Vora at Hershey Medical yesterday for my pre-op appt. And well, I am now freaking out that something will go wrong! Things I am freaked out about:

He said my spine is rigid and that he only expects 50-60% correction ( I was hoping for a better correction since one of my "incentives" was having a better looking body-not that I am doing this for cosmetic reasons, the idea helped me with coping with what is to come). Right now my curve is 60 degrees- I am hoping I see a difference..........

I had to sign a disclosure stating that there is no guarantee that my surgery will be successful and I could actually get worse. I know these are typical things that you have to sign before having a major surgery, but the idea still freaks me out! Yes I am in pain almost everyday, but I can still work and live a good life. I am afraid I will mess up the life I have now for no reason. I am afraid I will be worse off.

The are putting a tube through my artery to keep track of my blood pressure at all times. Besides already dealing with my spine, I am afraid that someone will mess up. I know it sounds silly, since these are experienced doctors but still...

I am so unsure about everything and its stressing me out. I know in the end I should get the surgery, but I need to put my mind at ease because I am stressing myself out. If anyone can give me any encouragement, I would greatly appreciate it!
    I was the same Roxjanine. I only had the one appt with my surgeon and no pre-op, so I got to sign these forms 9 months before my surgery. It freaked me out too. I was a mess. But when you think that these forms are for legal reasons, everyone signs them, and very few have their surgery go wrong, the odds are pretty good that you will be better off after surgery. For those who've had trouble, there's almost always something that can be done to improve the situation, however, we all only want to have the one surgery.

As for your correction. I was corrected to 22 degrees and you can barely notice I have scoliosis. Only someone else with scoliosis would notice, I'm sure, even then, probably not. So if you're corrected to 30 or 25, I feel you'll be very happy with that result. My surgeon said 60% as well, but got closer to 70% (I think.)

Try to remember, your doctor won't be working alone. There will be a whole, very experienced team there alongside him, all watching what he does, checking and more checking.

What you're going through is so normal, in my opinion. All part of this difficult journey. Try to think past the surgery, to a calmer time, when you're living with a much straighter body, less or no pain, and don't need to worry about the curve progression any more.

Best of luck!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks JenG for your voice of reason. It helps me a lot to hear from other people who have been through the surgery and who are doing so well!

Yesterday was very overwhelming as well, there were 2 resident students with my doctor and somehow I felt intimidated. I forgot to ask questions so I ended up having to email my doctor my additional questions today.

Another thing- the Anesthesiologist I met with said it was okay to drink alcohol up to the day before surgery- I was a little skeptical. Has anyone ever been told this? When did you stop drinking before surgery. (My fiance and I brew beer, so we beer is a regular as a dinner beverage).
      27 years old
      T2-L2 or L3

Comment

Roxjanine, it can be unsettling reading & signing forms in which they spell out the worst that could happen so they're legally protected. But, as you see all over the forum, the results almost overwhelmingly are positive. Also, our surgeon told us to expect about a 50% correction - he did so much better than that! You can't let all that take up negative room in your thoughts right now, you need "clear your plate" work & home wise before surgery, including getting items on the checklist of what to take to the hospital & what to have at home to make life easier. But more importantly, look positively to the future, of being on the other side of surgery & having a positive recuperation, moving towards your wedding day. You have an exciting future!
        Do you have your fiance or someone else go to all appts with you? So much better to have someone else listening out for you, along w having a running list of questions. One last thing, mentioning residents, as so many hospitals are teaching - we made it clear we didn't want anyone but him installing hardware, screws, etc - in essence, doing any part of the surgery. Worth bringing up. (he assured us no one but him does any part of the surgery.)
        Once again, focus on the positive future! and let us know how it goes - these last few weeks will fly by.
        Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
        Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
        Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
        Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
        photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Roxjanine
          Everyone on this forum understands the magnitude of pre-op anxiety. As my surgeon said to me " this surgery is a big deal, anxiety is to be expected". I am six months out and feeling great. My advice to you is eat a diet on the softer side for a week pre surgery, go easy on the food post op and walk. Walk as much as you can tolerate. Walk the flats-no hills for a while. At my five month mark I had walked 200 miles! I attribute a lot of my healing success to walking! Admittedly a little boring but it did the trick. All of the monitoring during surgery is a good thing. I am a nurse and the arterial line is essential! I had mine in the big artery in my groin. This forum is the best venue for information and support. I will be forever grateful to all the members for sharing their experiences
          PS
          On the night before surgery drink some of your home brew and get as good a night sleep as possible.
          Best of luck in the upcoming days!
          Nan
          54 years old
          55 degrees lumbar curve pre op
          7/12/2011 -University of Utah Health Science Center T10-S1
          Last edited by nanut; 01-18-2012, 07:21 PM. Reason: Added correction

Comment

Hi...

I definitely think it's normal to freak out, and it's probably a good thing. While the chance that you'll have a really significant complication are minimal, if you're the .01%, statistics are completely meaningless.

You'll often see me write to adults about exhausting other non-surgical possibilities before moving on to surgery. Since I see patients every day, I can tell you that the people who go into surgery with a lot of pain and disability, tend to do very well, especially if they have a positive attitude. People who are not terribly disabled and who have less pain, are often unhappy with their outcomes, because they think (even though they're told to expect pain and disability), that they'll be better after surgery. After all, that's usually the case with your average surgery. With scoliosis surgery, the trade off for stopping curve progression, can be long-term pain, and a feeling of being less able. We read all the time about people who can feel the implants, or who hate their new limitations. I think we all really need to think long and hard about undergoing this surgery. I was pretty disabled going into my surgery a year ago, and certainly knew what I was getting myself into. Yet, I still have moments when I'm a little bothered by my limitations. (Think of trying to hook your pants over your foot and missing half a dozen times when you're in a hurry.)

Some people will tell you that this surgery is horrible, and you should avoid it at all costs. Other people will tell you that this surgery is fabulous, and you'll love the results. The truth is that the vast majority of us fall somewhere in the middle.

Hope I haven't added to your anxiety, but I really do think it's good to go into surgery with a positive attitude, and a healthy set of expectations. If you expect perfection, there's a good chance you'll be disappointed.

Best of luck with your journey.

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I really cannot add to the good advice that you have been given except to say that I was allowed to drink up to the night before surgery.
              Please keep us informed as soon as you can
              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Pre surgery

Try not to stress too much. I think a positive attitude is key.
                I was only corrected about 50% as well. My surgeon told me that they don't correct 100% as it may stress the body too much to go from such a curved state to a completely straight one. I was only guaranteed 50% as well. As it turns out, it's fine!
                Best of luck to you!
                50 years old!!!!!
                Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
                Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
                Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
                Surgery 07/11/2011
                Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Thank you to everyone who gave me positive feedback. I know that there are no guarantees with the surgery and there are risks involved. All I need now is positive feedback and advice from those who are on the "other side". I was suppose to get this surgery when I was 17 years old but put it off so I could go to college on time (plus I was scared and not ready) I know this is the time to do it, I just get anxious, nervous because the surgery is coming up in less than 2 weeks. The positive feedback helps me so very much.

Thank you,

RoxJanine
                  27 years old
                  T2-L2 or L3

Comment

Roxjanine,

You are still young enough such that you might group with the teenagers rather than the adults in terms of having a relatively quick recovery and return to a normal lifestyle. Most kids are back to school in a few weeks for example and are off pain meds many weeks prior to many adults.

That is a positive thought you might take going into this.

The other thing is that my second kid who had surgery had such a positive outlook from seeing how fast the recovery was for the first and what a good cosmetic result she got. She had a much easier time in recovery and while that is likely due mostly to a different reaction to the drugs, maybe part of it was because she could see the prize in her twin sister and wanted that. That prize is moving on past scoliosis and living without thinking about her back.

You will be a star. Good luck.
                    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

To give you some hope that you might end up with a better correction than expected-I was 44 at the time of surgery and I was told that my spine was very rigid and that because of that I might have needed anterior as well as posterior surgery.

My curve was 72 degrees so I didnt think I was going to get very straight.
                      After a 10hr surgery I woke up to my surgeon telling me he had got me lovely and straight with no need for anterior.I cried when I 1st looked in the mirror because I couldnt believe how I looked.
                      My surgeon said that until you are on the table they cant be certain of the outcome-so you may end up with a straighter back than you expect!

Wishing you all the best.X
                      Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Comment

It can be scary hearing about no guarantees....many of us here have heard it. It was easier for me since my pain was through the roof.....just think about all the pain and heartburn you will save since you will be dodging the bullet. The pain I endured through my 40’s was something I wouldn’t wish on anyone.
                        Have a positive attitude and have faith and you will do just fine.

This past week included antics on the mechanical bull at Gilly’s Las Vegas! A great way to loosen up that stiff neck! (just kidding) When surgeons finally give “clearance” after you have recovered some, I’m pretty sure that “mechanical bull” is not included......
                        “I luv ya Sissy”.....”Hit it, Wes” Ye-ha
                        Ed
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by titaniumed; 01-19-2012, 07:46 PM.
                        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Roxjanine it ok to freak out I did on the day of my spinal fusion because of a rash on my arm when they did my blood tests
                          Kara
                          Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                          Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                          T4-L2
                          Before 50T
                          After 20T

Comment

Rox,

I was also disappointed when I was told I have a rigid spine and can expect about a 50% correction. But then the doctor said, that will put you back about where you were when you graduated from college. I was 38 at the time, and for some reason that made me feel good. Even though my spine was curved in college, I really didn't notice it!

Good luck,
                            Evelyn
                            age 48
                            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Roxjanine,
                              I don't have anything to add to what has already been said, but just wanted to wish you the best on the 2nd and hope you have a smooth recovery. Good luck!
                              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                              Rib Hump-GONE!
                              Age-60 at the time of surgery
                              Now 66
                              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                              X