Is everyone cool about the brace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is everyone cool about the brace?

I was just wondering because i play Softball all summer if they will be as nice as everyone at school because they will see it more because no one at my school ever see the brace but i will have tournament about every weekend and i'll have to take it off for the games and then put it back on will they be nice to me if they see it more? Should i keep it a secret as much as i can?, tell everyone right away?, or keep it between acouple of my closest friends? ~Sammie~

I've never been braced...
    I was the brunt of a ton of teasing in middle and high school though.
    The best way to handle stuff that you worry may lead to embarassment (In my opinion) is to just be completely nonchalant about it.
    Don't try to *hide* it really (you are of course entitled to your privacy). Just go about your business, and if somebody notices and remarks, explain it to them nicely and then refuse to make an issue out of it after that...
    Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
    Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
    Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
    Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
    February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
    September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

When I ahd my brace I told my friends but with time my whole class found out. Mostly because if they bumped into me or something they would ask what it was. No one made fun of me ever.
      ~*Lauren*~
      Braced for 5 months
      Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
      Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
      Surgery on April 26th 2005
      Fused from T3-L4
      Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Comment

Thanks but.......

Thank you Lauren for your comment but there's still one little prob there are about 2 girls that might make fun of me but it will probably be ok because my dad's my coach so thanks ~Sammie~

Comment

And

And thank you to Blair!! your comment will help to

Comment

I had a girl in school who made fun of everyone and I meen everyone! She started a bit when I ahd the brace but a friend of mine talked to her that was friends with her ad she stopped. I told her I felt too. She said she was sorry and didn't know that was how I felt. She thought I thought it was funny. So she said I think she may have been lying burt oh well. DSince your dad is the coach things should be okay.Good luck!
            ~*Lauren*~
            Braced for 5 months
            Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
            Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
            Surgery on April 26th 2005
            Fused from T3-L4
            Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Comment

Hope you don't mind a mom's reply, but here it goes....

Hi! My daughter is almost 14 and has been wearing a Boston Brace for 1 1/2 years! She was very upset about having to wear the brace to school and had all of the same concerns and fears that you have. She talked to a distant cousin who has scoliosis. The cousin said that she told all of her friends about it and would knock loudly on her brace and would say that she had "abs of steel!" Then she'd let her friends "knock" on her, too.

Well, my daughter took her advice and did the same thing. Not only did her friends love knocking on her brace, but it became a fun thing to do. The "joking" sort of attitude ("abs of steel") really, really helped, and not one person has ever bothered her or made fun of her. Other kids would hear about it too and want to try to "knock" on her. After several months, the knocking got to be a bit much, so she just asked them to stop, and they did.

I hope this helps! Best wishes to you and hang in
              Terry

Comment

Working...
              X