Thoracoplasty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoracoplasty

I am six weeks post op. I had to have a thoracoplacty where they cut segments of bone off of 11 of my ribs. Has anyone had this procedure done? It significantly reduced my rib hump. My doctor says that the ribs will go back flat. Does anyone here know how long it will take for my ribs to grow back?

Lexy - Your ribs begin growing back immediately, but it can take several months before they're completely healed. You've probably seen or heard the phrase "everyone's case is different" several times now, but it's true. How long it takes your ribs to fully heal depends on how much of your ribs your surgeon removed, and also on how many ribs he worked on. In my case, I could see new bone forming on an x-ray about three months after surgery (yes, you can actually see it!), but they still felt sore for maybe the first 6-9 months or so. I'm now 2 years post-op, my ribs feel fine, and my rib hump is almost nonexistent.

Dave

Comment

hi lexy
      my daughter is 14 and just had surgery nov. 3rd and had a thoracoplasty done and so far it looks great and she really hasn't complained of much pain from that. I was curious as to how long it takes to grow back and thanks "Dave" for answering my question as well.

Jennifer

Comment

Working...
      X