Surgery less than 30 days away! Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery less than 30 days away! Update

Surgery is set for Feb 2nd at Hershey Medical. I feel like my back KNOWS that is about to be fused, I have been experiencing a lot of pain lately. Then again, I have been in pain for years so I hope that I will be able to handle the post-op pain as well. My fiance and I just got a treadmill a few days ago, so I have been making it a point to speed walk 30 minutes everyday. Besides that, I have been doing hot yoga once a week and hope to sign up to take a few more yoga classes before Feb 1st. I hope that is enough to get me in shape- I am fairly thin, but just not use to working out very much.

I have been taking krill oil, chlorella, multivitamins and shark cartilage for the last 3 months- it has helped me a lot in improving my immune system (haven't had a cold since October ::knock on wood: I am hoping to prevent any infections and help the healing process when it is time. I just read that most people with have to get spinal fusions have a vitamin D deficiency- I had a deficiency of Vit D a few years back, so I am hoping that it will not be a problem and that I wont have problems with fusing the bone. Has anyone had to take VIT D before their surgery?

My preoperative appointment is January 24th, I am hoping to get a better idea of what to expect and feel more relaxed about surgery. However, since joining this forum it has been a great help to my nerves!

Has anyone had a problem with not being able to return to work after the 12 week fmla period- or needed more time than 12 weeks to return back to work? If so, was there a way you were able to keep you position? ( not that I am worried, but I am trying to be as prepared as possible)

With being less than a month away, I am reading non stop on things I can do now to make this easier for me and my fiance. Any last words of advice?
    Thoracic curve approx 62 degrees,
    Lower curve of approx 38 degrees
    27 years old
    http://pennstatehershey.org/findaprovider/provider/1507
    Scheduled for Spinal Fusion 2/2/2012
    T2-L2 or L3
    Engaged to be married on 4.6.2013!

Originally posted by Roxjanine View Post
    Surgery is set for Feb 2nd at Hershey Medical. I feel like my back KNOWS that is about to be fused, I have been experiencing a lot of pain lately. Then again, I have been in pain for years so I hope that I will be able to handle the post-op pain as well. My fiance and I just got a treadmill a few days ago, so I have been making it a point to speed walk 30 minutes everyday. Besides that, I have been doing hot yoga once a week and hope to sign up to take a few more yoga classes before Feb 1st. I hope that is enough to get me in shape- I am fairly thin, but just not use to working out very much.

I have been taking krill oil, chlorella, multivitamins and shark cartilage for the last 3 months- it has helped me a lot in improving my immune system (haven't had a cold since October ::knock on wood: I am hoping to prevent any infections and help the healing process when it is time. I just read that most people with have to get spinal fusions have a vitamin D deficiency- I had a deficiency of Vit D a few years back, so I am hoping that it will not be a problem and that I wont have problems with fusing the bone. Has anyone had to take VIT D before their surgery?

My preoperative appointment is January 24th, I am hoping to get a better idea of what to expect and feel more relaxed about surgery. However, since joining this forum it has been a great help to my nerves!

Has anyone had a problem with not being able to return to work after the 12 week fmla period- or needed more time than 12 weeks to return back to work? If so, was there a way you were able to keep you position? ( not that I am worried, but I am trying to be as prepared as possible)

With being less than a month away, I am reading non stop on things I can do now to make this easier for me and my fiance. Any last words of advice?
    Good for you Roxjanine! You're doing everything you can to ensure you're able to cope well with surgery and have a good recovery. I think taking that control really helps in the lead up to surgery as well. Getting answers to your questions eases the nerves too because it gives you a better picture of what will happen.

Many here returned to work at about the three month mark but many didn't. Can you return on a part time basis at first? It's impossible to know how you'll be at three months but you're giving yourself every chance.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

My Vitamin D levels tested low, I am now taking 6000mg per day.
      Stephanie, age 56
      Diagnosed age 8
      Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
      Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
      Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
      Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
      Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
      Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

Roxjanine,

How "action oriented" is your job? Can you telework for starters? I started doing an hour or two telework when I felt up to it (can't remember what timeframe), but am back full time at four months...but I have a fairly sedative job and I haven't been traveling, so that helps.

At three months, you might want to set expectations with your manager that at three months you are willing to give it your best shot, but you may have to rest a short time mid-day. You just have to see where you are at then.

My two cents...
        Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
        Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
        Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
        Dr. Charles Edwards, II
        The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
        Before and after xrays:
        http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Work

I went back to work 7 weeks post op but only three days a week. Mostly a desk job but had to be ready to spring in to action although I never did.
          50 years old!!!!!
          Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
          Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
          Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
          Surgery 07/11/2011
          Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Work

I went back to work at 6 weeks post-op, very cruisy counselling job. I was fine but exhausted. I felt very tired until about 4 months post-op but now at just 5 months feel pretty energetic. The exhaustion I felt though going back to work made it difficult for me to be motivated to walk when I got home so I didn't do the exercise I should have done, and would have done if I wasn't working. Will be glad when the numbness and slight ache goes on my lower R side. If my job was more physical say like nursing, I'd imagine only going back around now, as long as there wasn't any lifting.
            All the best.
            Kelly
            Progress 1 hr Nth of Sydney, Australia
            49 yrs
            55 deg thorocolumbar
            Fused T9 to L3, Aug 11th 2011

Comment

Hi Rox,

I am also pre-op (March 14th). I am doing many of the same things you are. Also trying for a last-minute spurt to get in better shape. (Like you, I am reasonably thin but could stand to work out more than I do.)

I had a vit D deficiency, so my primary put me on 2000 mg a day. That was unrelated to scoliosis, as far as I know.

Ask your doctor about the krill oil. My understanding is that fish-oil supplements have slight blood thinning properties. He/she may want you to discontinue a couple of weeks before surgery because of the effect on blood.

Best wishes! At 27, you will most likely recover very quickly!!

Evelyn
              age 48
              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Thanks all for the feedback. I am college counselor- I mostly sit all day, on the phone or meeting one on one with students, occasionally I have to give tours and walk around campus. I guess since I am in a lot of pain now pre surgery, I am worried how well I will heal and how fast. I can only hope that being 27 will be a plus!

I read that krill oil must be stopped at least 2 weeks before surgery. I have been taking it since late October along with chlorella (green algae) to help my immune system and back pain. All that I can say is that I have no been sick with cold, flu or anything since I started ( I usually get sick every few weeks) I have been around a lot of sick people too (being a counselor puts me in contact with a lot of people) and still have not been sick. I was hoping to improve my immune system before surgery-so I researched that these supplements would help. I have till the 18th till I have to stop all supplements. So I am taking all the I can now just in case it may help.
                Thoracic curve approx 62 degrees,
                Lower curve of approx 38 degrees
                27 years old
                http://pennstatehershey.org/findaprovider/provider/1507
                Scheduled for Spinal Fusion 2/2/2012
                T2-L2 or L3
                Engaged to be married on 4.6.2013!

Comment

Working...
                X