mattress's and stairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mattress's and stairs?

Thank you to everyone, who replied to my posting about mattress's....your replies were most helpful! )
    And Linda, thanks for the links for what is needed in the hospital, and post surgery!

I was wondering, how soon post surgery, one can do stairs. Our bedrooms are on our upper level, up about 12 stairs.

I had a horrific event, last week. I turned, realized I was loosing my balance.. then.over compensated, by turning the other direction, & miraculously kept myself up right. But in this process, I " locked" up. I went completely against my curve!
    I was helped to a chair...but when my husband tried to get me into a standing position, I couldn't move, without HORRIFIC pain. Ambulance, paramedics, laughing gas, & ER...where they got enough drugs into me, to relax my muscles. I'm so blessed to have a amazing physio therapist, who came to our home the next day, to give me a IMS treatment, and mobilize my ribs. My 10th rib wasn't moving, and my bottom rib was nearly into the crest of my pelvis/hip bone. OMG, I thought I was going to pass out, because of this pain.

It needless to say, I phoned my surgeon, and left him a message. My surgery definitely has to be bumped up...I'm afraid to move suddenly, as my ribs are nearly resting on my hips. I'm terrified of this surgery...but all of your comments, have helped me so much. They have made me realize that there is a light at the end of this painful tunnel...I need this " HOPE"!!

Kootenaygal

My son was able to go up the stairs the moment he was home from the hospital. He was pretty slow about it, but he could do it. My husband would walk him up there and just hold onto his hips from behind just incase for the first 2 weeks or so, but he could do it. Only physical therapy he had in the hospital was walking around his floor once 2-3x a day.
    Angie Romero, Mom to Alex, Dominic & Marissa.
    Alex was fused from T2-L2 at the age of 12 on Dec 22, 2010
    By Dr. Hanson at Texas Children's Hospital

Comment

I was also able to do the stairs as soon as I got home. I used a cane for a few weeks, for a little extra stability. My husband also walked behind me for the first week or 2.
      Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
      T54/L72
      Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
      Gained 2 inches!
      Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
      12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
      Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

They had me doing stairs while I was in the hospital.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Stairs

I did stairs as soon as I got home as well. For the first two weeks, I had someone "spot" me. Then I went alone, very slowly.
          50 years old!!!!!
          Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
          Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
          Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
          Surgery 07/11/2011
          Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Negotiating stairs was one of the few requirements for being discharged. Both my kids did the stairs on the fifth or sixth day in the hospital as I recall.
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Same here. I had to do the stairs to be able to leave....it wasn’t a problem.

The one thing you don’t want to happen is fall down your stairs in your recovery. That’s not good at all. If I had a 2 story home, I would setup a bed on the first floor. Close to a bathroom is a good thing, you don’t move like Speedy Gonzales for at least a month. (smiley face)
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedy_Gonzales

Try to hang in there and take it slow. Wow, we have many posters here going through “major” pain right now.
              Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Same as the last two posts. They won't let you out until you can do stairs. I didn't have too much trouble with them once I got enough blood in me.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Do hope your surgery can be moved up quickly!
                Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                Before and after xrays:
                http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Working...
                X