X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning to work post-op

If fused to the sacrum, what is the expected timeframe to
    be able to return to work full time sitting at a desk for 8 hours
    a day? I have no idea what to tell my work.
    Pam, age 49
    Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
    April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
    T-3 to sacrum

I'm fused pretty far down and I stayed out of work for 5 months, then returned part time for 6 weeks before ramping up to full time. I was still fatigued by late day in my upper back from sitting at a desk and working on a computer. In fact I still get that and I'm 10 months out, but it's much more manageable.
    Female, age 38
    4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
    currently 64*upper/40*lower
    Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
    now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

I am fused to the sacrum, with pelvic anchors. I just returned to work at 6 months post-op, and only for 4 hour shifts. I find that sitting at a desk is more difficult than being on my feet. I took all types of pillows with me, and made sure my work area is ergonomically correct. I think, from talking to other people, having those last few levels fused makes a big difference in recovery, and how quickly you can return to work. I would tell your employer 6 months, just to be safe.
      Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
      T54/L72
      Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
      Gained 2 inches!
      Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
      12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
      Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

I am four months post op and returning full time--I have almost been up to my nine hour stint, mostly doing telework. I still have a very nice fluffy pillow awaiting me in my chair in my office. I still need it.

I cannot sit for 8 hours (let alone the 9 hours I work). You need to get up and walk around a short time and then get back to the desk--or stand if you are talking on the phone...just to get your body moving.
        Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
        Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
        Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
        Dr. Charles Edwards, II
        The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
        Before and after xrays:
        http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Working...
        X