PDA

View Full Version : Returning to work post-op

TwinmomTN
12-30-2011, 04:23 PM
If fused to the sacrum, what is the expected timeframe to
be able to return to work full time sitting at a desk for 8 hours
a day? I have no idea what to tell my work.

Lilysaidwhat
12-30-2011, 09:36 PM
I'm fused pretty far down and I stayed out of work for 5 months, then returned part time for 6 weeks before ramping up to full time. I was still fatigued by late day in my upper back from sitting at a desk and working on a computer. In fact I still get that and I'm 10 months out, but it's much more manageable.

Lorz
12-31-2011, 08:42 AM
I am fused to the sacrum, with pelvic anchors. I just returned to work at 6 months post-op, and only for 4 hour shifts. I find that sitting at a desk is more difficult than being on my feet. I took all types of pillows with me, and made sure my work area is ergonomically correct. I think, from talking to other people, having those last few levels fused makes a big difference in recovery, and how quickly you can return to work. I would tell your employer 6 months, just to be safe.

djkinkead
01-02-2012, 05:24 PM
I am four months post op and returning full time--I have almost been up to my nine hour stint, mostly doing telework. I still have a very nice fluffy pillow awaiting me in my chair in my office. I still need it.

I cannot sit for 8 hours (let alone the 9 hours I work). You need to get up and walk around a short time and then get back to the desk--or stand if you are talking on the phone...just to get your body moving.