Two weeks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two weeks!

The countdown continues and now I've developed a head cold! Yikes! I called my surgeon's office yesterday per their written instructions. The nurse told me to push fluids and just watch it. Sure don't relish the thought of having to postpone my surgery. Please join me in praying that I'll be able to defeat these cold germs that are running rampant these days! Also, please continue to pray that I'll experience God's perfect peace as I await Jan. 10. Seems like I'm on an emotional roller-coaster --- one minute I've peace and the next minute I'm a wreck!

As an aside, if I'm fused T4-Sacrum, how does a person sit? Any advice on that?
    Sheree
    Diagnosed age 18 - told I was done growing and it wouldn't get any worse
    Had two children
    Back started hurting more around age 52
    Saw Dr. Whitaker, KS Joint and Spine Institute, Jan. 2009 - Thoracic was 65, Lumbar was 50
    Saw Dr. Whitaker again Oct. 11 - Thoracic was 65, Lumbar was 55
    Fused T4-S1 with pelvic fixation and one cage Jan. 10, 2012 at Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, KS - age 55
    Post-Op X-ray - Thoracic was 50 and Lumbar was 23
    My Blog: www.shereeglanzer.blogspot.com

Did pray, and will continue. Hope you get feeling better fast.
    Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
    Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
    Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
    Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
    photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Can you take cold-eze? If so, it worked wonders for me when I
      got sick right before Christmas.
      Pam, age 49
      Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
      April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
      T-3 to sacrum

Comment

Hi there,

sorry to hear you are sick-these last weeks are so nerve-wracking without the added stress of being sick. So rest up, drink lots of fluids, eat nutritious food. I would not take any supplements or herbal cold remedies without checking with your surgeon's office first.

As far as sitting goes, you will still be able to sit like you did before, by bending at the hips. Sitting will probably not be your most comfortable position at first. For the first few weeks or months you may be more comfortable with a pillow behind your back. I was not at all comfortable post-op on any soft couch or easy chair--I did much better (and still do) with a straight-backed dining room chair. Some chairs will not be comfortable especially metal-backed chairs. You will quickly find out which chairs in your house are most comfortable for you.

Good luck, and try not to worry too much about your cold.
        Gayle, age 50
        Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
        Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
        Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
        2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
        2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Said prayers for your cold (to leave you soon! :-))

I agree with leahdragonfly, sitting is the worst. I was lucky in that we needed to buy a new bed before the surgery and splurged and got a sleep number with the top and bottom that can be raised and lowered. It does help the first month.

Other than that, you go around the house, looking for a chair that isn't too bad. You'll need lots of pillows for a while. Chairs with straighter backs (and with use of pillow) seem to work better.

Sitting is done by bending at the hip.

Practice getting in and out of bed properly before you go into surgery so it's more "second nature" when you get out.

I was pretty nervous the last few weeks, but the last week, I became more peaceful. You pray and then you trust that God will guide your surgeon. He is in control!
          Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
          Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
          Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
          Dr. Charles Edwards, II
          The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
          Before and after xrays:
          http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

You should have plenty of time to get over the worst part and move forward with the surgery. Keep pushing the fluids and rest!

Your post sure brought back memories. I was scheduled for surgery January 10th, 2011, which fell on a Monday. On Friday, I came down with congestion and a sore throat. I worried all weekend, sweating bullets that I would have to call Sunday and tell the doc I had a fever. But by Monday, I woke up feeling much better, and with no fever. I feel your pain- it is so frustrating to psyche yourself up for the big day, then possibly have to postpone it. But you have plenty of time. Good luck and I will be thinking of you on my anniversary!
            Jenee'-52
            Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
            Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
            I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
            9 hours
            T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
            Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
            Non-fusion
            Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

You should be pretty much over your cold in two weeks. I had a doozie of a cold three weeks before my surgery and I still had symptoms up until a day before my surgery. My primary checked me out and said my lungs were fine, but I was a nervous wreck wondering if my surgery would be canceled. Thankfully all went according to plan. Will be praying for you to get over it in time.
              Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
              X