PDA

View Full Version : preop nightmare

Spring72
12-27-2011, 09:53 PM
I went to see my primary doctor for medical clearance last friday...my EKG was normal according to the computer but he says there is a 'blip' on it and could indicate that I may have had a heart attack at some point....what?? Could be normal for me but we have to investigate. I had to do a treadmill stress test today which I thought went well...from what I saw written in my chart it said that I have marked sinus Braydacardia, my resting heartrate was 40. The tech who did the test asked me if that is 'normal' for me...normal? I don't know, I have lost 125lbs in the last year and a half, my resting heart rate was 110 when I was heavy so this MAY be normal for me...now. On top of that I quit smoking 6 months ago. Maybe my heart is finally resting after working so hard for so many years. I have been majorly stressed out from this...I don't get the results until Jan 3rd and we leave for St. Louis on thurs the 5th, my central line goes in friday morning the 6th and surgery is Monday the 9th....I can't believe this is happening. Has anyone else experienced anything like this during preop testing? I could really use some hope...

loves to skate
12-27-2011, 11:59 PM
Spring,
Are you physically active as like an athlete? That would be one possible explanation for your low heart rate of 40. Can you call your primary care physician and ask him or her before next week to help put your mind at ease? I don't recall if anyone here on this forum has had that particular problem before their surgery, so you might not get any responses to your question. Good luck to you for your surgery. The waiting is so hard.
Sally

LSKOCH5
12-28-2011, 03:50 AM
Spring - she's right, the fitter one is the lower the resting heart rate. 56-59 has always been mine. Can no one get you in earlier due to surgery dates? Jacob's primary did EKG, came up w branch bundle issue, he called several cardiologists & pressed for appt w/in days. Thank God it was nothing and he was cleared. I truly hope it turns out to be nothing of consequence for you and that everything goes without a hitch. But your health is the most important thing. Congratulations on your success over smoking & on your weight loss! Those are such phenomenally great achievements!

Pooka1
12-28-2011, 07:29 AM
I don't know about the heart issue but I wanted to also congratulate you on your health accomplishments! I think that focus will help you through the post op recovery.

And your curves which you were told would not progress...

at 19yrs old 1991, T30-L38
2010, T38-L56--progression in one year 2011, T40-L67

There are several people on this forum and elsewhere who are far below the surgical threshold at maturity and were told the same thing as you who nevertheless are surgical as young adults. Maybe this group is unusual and maybe it isn't. I think pediatric surgeons need to assess this situation better in order to advise parents and patients more accurately. I wish there were high quality numbers on this.

Spring72
12-28-2011, 06:47 PM
thank you all for your replies....got the call this afternoon that my stress test was fine...and from a medical standpoint I am healthy enough for the surgery!! Scared me half to death....I must be an athlete ;) Thank you for the congrats, getting healthy has been the hardest thing I have done thus far...now comes the hardest yet I do believe but it should be worth it! Thanks again

LSKOCH5
12-28-2011, 07:20 PM
What a relief, Spring. Best wishes & prayers to you for your surgery - no doubt all your hard work so far will have a huge difference in your recovery. Let us know how you're doing.
LeighAnn

debbei
12-29-2011, 10:49 AM
thank you all for your replies....got the call this afternoon that my stress test was fine...and from a medical standpoint I am healthy enough for the surgery!! Scared me half to death....I must be an athlete ;) Thank you for the congrats, getting healthy has been the hardest thing I have done thus far...now comes the hardest yet I do believe but it should be worth it! Thanks again

Congratulations on both your weight loss and also for being so fit. Good luck with your surgery!!

jeneemohler
12-29-2011, 11:34 AM
That is an awesome feat to lose that weight and stop smoking. You are obviously a dedicated and focused lady. If that is an example of your strength of will and dedication, you should do wonderful with your recovery. Kudos to you and the best of luck next week. My one year anniversary is January 10th. This time next year, you will be in a very good place!

loves to skate
12-29-2011, 07:05 PM
So glad to hear your stress test went well. Those bumps in the road can be a real trial. Soon all of this will be a distant memory and you will be on the healing side. You should do just fine. I will be thinking of you.
Sally

Spring72
12-31-2011, 09:17 AM
I wish these posts had a 'like' option similar to facebook :) thank you again for the congrats, my heart may be fit but my body never feels it...maybe it's because I'm always hurting and scrunched up, I always feel weak. I just wanted to share that when I got the call that I was ok and medically cleared I was filled with mixed emotions....omg this is really going to happen!! Does anyone else get where I'm coming from with that? I also have had a nasty cold since Christmas day but it is getting better now thankfully. I can cry at the drop of a hat now...I know that all of you understand, I just wish the people close to me only had a clue. I do appreciate all your kind words and for keeping me in your prayers....I will see you on the otherside soon.

Take care,
Spring

timetofaceit
12-31-2011, 09:55 AM
Oh Spring, I'm totally with you on the nasty cold since Christmas and crying at the drop of a hat. There must be something in the water for us anticipating surgery Jan. 9/10!!! Trying to decide now if I should see a doctor, suspecting maybe my cold has turned into a sinus infection. Of course, it's Saturday and we'd have to go to ER to be seen. Oh my, still fearing that they will postpone my surgery because of this dang cold. No chest congestion --- just head stuff!!! Hang in there --- I'll pray for you!!!!

Spring72
12-31-2011, 12:46 PM
@timetofaceit

ditto on the possible sinus infection...I did some research and it seems the consensus is not to take antbiotics before major surgery. Something about lowering the immune system?? Anyway, I am coughing alot of stuff up finally...I cough alot, though it doesn't feel like it is in my chest, just sinus drainage...I have been watching for a fever and so far so good. We didn't come all this way to have it cancelled! I will be in intensive care when you go in, you will be in my thoughts.

Take care,

Karen Ocker
01-02-2012, 04:30 PM
I had that same experience before some of my surgeries though I have a normal stress test. If there is a significant thoracic curve the heart is rotated. When the technician places the EKG electrodes on the chest he/she places them on the chest as if the thorax is normal. However, the computer in the EKG machine will give erroneous readings. In my case it was read as myocardial infarction. When I asked the technician to take note, when placing the EKG electrodes, of my deformed thorax and possible heart rotation the results were normal. Of course the cardiologist could often tell if it was incorrect lead placement.

Spring72
01-03-2012, 04:58 PM
I had that same experience before some of my surgeries though I have a normal stress test. If there is a significant thoracic curve the heart is rotated. When the technician places the EKG electrodes on the chest he/she places them on the chest as if the thorax is normal. However, the computer in the EKG machine will give erroneous readings. In my case it was read as myocardial infarction. When I asked the technician to take note, when placing the EKG electrodes, of my deformed thorax and possible heart rotation the results were normal. Of course the cardiologist could often tell if it was incorrect lead placement.

That is interesting Karen, I had never thought of that but it seems very likely that is what happened. They just concluded that the 'blip' on the EKG was normal for me because of my 'condition'....hmm, well here's to future EKG's that are normal with a straighter spine! :)

LSKOCH5
01-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Greetings from the other side! Wishing you a successful, smooth time of it. PACK YOUR PRUNE JUICE! That issue has NOT been fun today. You must feel relieved that your day is coming right up, I'll be praying for you and sending positive vibes your way!
LeighAnn

Spring72
01-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Greetings from the other side! Wishing you a successful, smooth time of it. PACK YOUR PRUNE JUICE! That issue has NOT been fun today. You must feel relieved that your day is coming right up, I'll be praying for you and sending positive vibes your way!
LeighAnn

Thank you for the well wishes LeighAnn...can't wait to get this over with! :)

Doreen1
01-14-2012, 11:48 AM
I talked with Spring's sister today who asked me to share some updates on Spring's surgery which was on Jan 9. The surgery went well; however, she is having pain management issues which the medical team is not quite able to get under control. Spring slept well on Wed for 3 hours straight, but has had barely any sleep since then. She has been able to do her walking and sitting in the chair. Dr. Lenke feels Spring should be discharged on Monday. Spring's kyphosis was corrected from 73* to about 20* and she is able to stand straight up now. Merri Ann asked to keep Spring in our prayers.

Warmly,
Doreen

golfnut
01-14-2012, 12:55 PM
I missed a call from Spring's sister this morning so I am glad she got to talk to you, Doreen, so that you could post.

Spring,
Hopefully, the staff can get your pain under control soon. You got a great correction. Dr. Lenke is an artist with spines. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I am glad you are safely "on the other side."

Mojo's Mom
01-14-2012, 01:15 PM
Passing along my well wishes to you, Spring!

mabeckoff
01-14-2012, 01:27 PM
Glad that you made it to the other side safely. Hope your pain issues get under control soon

loves to skate
01-14-2012, 05:58 PM
I too am glad you are on the other side now and can get your pain under control.
Sally

LSKOCH5
01-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Spring, so glad you're on the other side of surgery! Hope they've been able to get control of the pain; Cub's first night was horrible pain so they kept giving extra dilaudid then doc apprvd OxyContin for 2x to get thru the worst. Since then it's been so much smoother. Glad you're moving well; will keep up prayers for you.

Doodles
01-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Spring--
You are on the track to recovering once that surgery is over. I hope your pain is better by now and that your recovery will be steady. Prayers and positive thoughts coming your way. Janet

TwinmomTN
01-15-2012, 09:02 PM
I have been wondering how things were going for Spring.
Thanks for the update Doreen. Please know that you are in
my thoughts and prayers and hoping pain control has been achieved.

Spring72
02-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Thank you all so much for your prayers and well wishes, I am doing well now and am amazed at how much correction Dr. Lenke was able to achieve. I am getting better everyday and am thankful that the pain is undercontrol. Thank you Doreen for posting the message from my sister.

Take care,

Doreen1
02-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Thank you all so much for your prayers and well wishes, I am doing well now and am amazed at how much correction Dr. Lenke was able to achieve. I am getting better everyday and am thankful that the pain is undercontrol. Thank you Doreen for posting the message from my sister.

Take care,

My pleasure, Spring. Looking forward to hearing about your journey.

Warmly
Doreen

LSKOCH5
02-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Very glad you're improving & that the pain is under control! Let us know how you are as you can.

Spring72
02-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Hello again,

Just when you think everything is moving along like normal......*BAM* just my luck.

On Feb. 9th a CNA friend of mine stopped by around 10:30 pm. She stops sometimes when she gets off work to visit and check on me. She noticed the back of my nightgown was wet, after investigating we found that the bottom of my incision had come open near my tailbone about an 1 1/2 inches and was oozing, I had no idea, that part of my back is completely numb. The next morning I called my doctor here in town, the surgeon who referred me to Dr. Lenke. He told me to go to the ER, as he was in the OR there, and he would be over to see me. Next thing you know I am being wheeled into surgery, I had a procedure done where the wound is deeply cleaned out and closed back up again. Cultures were sent to the lab but would not be back until sunday and there would be no one to read them so I had to stay in the hospital until Monday Feb. 12th. My doc said that everything looked good inside, he opened it up more to clean it out, take cultures, cut away some skin, re-stitch and was pretty sure that if there was any infection that it was superficial. I was put on IV antibiotics as a precaution. On Sunday the cultures came back positive for MRSA, I was devastated and my doc was shocked, all of my blood work was good and I had no signs of the infection, fever, chills ect. immediately I was placed in isolation. I had a pic line put into my arm and was released on the 12th as planned. My treatment plan is to have IV antibiotics (Vancomycin) 2 times a day at home for 13 days, that I administer myself. They are optimistic that the infection has not spread to my hardware. A home healthcare nurse came to my house and taught me how to do the IV's and taught my husband how to change my dressing. They will continue to follow me until my treatment is over. This has set my recovery back some, I am in alot more pain now but it will all be worth it if the treatment works and I get through this ok. Please keep your fingers crossed for me.

golfnut
02-16-2012, 02:13 AM
Spring,
I was not sleeping well tonight and had planned to email you to check and see how you were doing. I am suprised and sorry to hear that you had a set back with the incision opening. Thank goodness your friend noticed it and all precautions are being taken. I haven't heard of that happening before, but I remember worrying about it for some reason & checking the incision out in a mirror all of the time. I am sorry you had to go through another surgery.

Spring72
02-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Thank you Karen, you have been a great support to me along the way.....I should give you a call again sometime. I know there is light at the end of the tunnel and this is nothing comparable to what some people have to endure on this journey, good thing I'm so pessimistic...I just knew somehow things couldn't go that smoothly. It has been rocky from the start but still at this point I do not regret having this surgery.....I am convinced that it has saved my life. (having near perfect correction doesn't hurt either *wink*)

Take care,

golfnut
02-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Definitely, give me a call. I'll email my cell number because we won't be home for a few weeks. There is a light at the end of the tunnel . . .
Hang in there.
Karen

JenniferG
02-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Sorry to hear about this development, it's the one thing that really worried me. Best of luck and let us know how you go.

Doodles
02-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Spring--
I am so sorry to hear this. It sounds like you have a plan with your doctor and you still have such a positive attitude. I hope all is well soon. Good luck to you.

Confusedmom
02-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Spring,

That is a huge bummer! But at the same time, maybe you can look at it as a blessing that your friend caught it early enough that hopefully it's not in your hardware. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Best,
Evelyn

timetofaceit
02-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Oh Spring, I am so sorry you had this set-back. I'll pray for healing for you. Fortunately it was caught before it spread too far.

mabeckoff
02-17-2012, 08:25 AM
I am so sorry to hear that you had this set back.I will continue to pray for you
May God bless you

LSKOCH5
02-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Spring, so sorry for your latest battle. Hope & pray you're over it fast & that your pain eases.

Spring72
02-25-2012, 11:58 PM
Great news...my infection has cleared up! My picc line was removed finally after being in my arm driving me crazy for 2 weeks, I am so tired of being a pin cushion. My new incision (about 8 inches long) has healed nicely and the stitches removed. I should be on cloud nine right? I am really greatful that this setback turned out well, but I am in more pain now. At 4 weeks post-op I felt I was doing so well, getting my walks in everyday and feeling stronger. Having MRSA has made me a 'lepper' to my friends, I was having visitors left and right in the beginning and then it went to nothing. So my spirits are low as well, being wintertime also doesn't help, I feel like a prisoner in my own body, I am even more swollen now from having the second surgery. My doctor has given me stronger pain meds hydro 10-325, hoping that will help me out enough to become more active. I hurt so much I can barely get out of bed most days, I'm now having a burning, searing pain shooting under my right shoulder blade, it is so intense that it can make me scream, it will come and go in waves and I don't have it all the time (thank God) but when I do it is nearly unbearable. I mentioned it to my doctor here and he just shrugged it off so I guess that means it is normal? I thought I was pretty 'normal' recovering from this but when I read about how people are driving by now and lots of other things then I feel like I'm so far behind....I feel like I'm never going to get better. Starting to rant now, thanks for listening.

mabeckoff
02-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Glad to hear that the infection cleared up. Hope you start feeling better soon

Confusedmom
02-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Spring,

Have you called Dr. Lenke's office? I'm sure you must have been in touch with them regarding the infection, etc. I would think they would want to get you on some medicines that would reduce the pain enough that you can become more active. I know they wouldn't like it if they heard you could barely get out of bed!!!

I am also wondering if this is the point when you need to start getting outside? That can reduce those winter blahs and maybe not make you feel like a lepper! I'm sure your friends will be back when they know you are all cleared up. What a bummer, though.

I want to see you out there healing quickly!! Gotta keep up the good Dr. Lenke track record. ;)

Seriously, though, I hope you start to feel stronger every day, and I am glad to hear the infection is gone.

Best,
Evelyn

Spring72
02-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Glad to hear that the infection cleared up. Hope you start feeling better soon

Thank you Melissa, you and me both.

Evelyn,

Of course I have been in touch with Dr. Lenke's office from the start, yes they are concerned. It is not as if no one is doing anything about it, my pain meds have been increased. I appreciate your concern, I have been getting outside when I can. It is not just me 'feeling' like a lepper, people stopped coming around at all quite abruptly when they found out I had MRSA. My only visitors were nurses...proof of how uneducated people are about things like this. I've had a pretty decent day today so far...finally. I just have to remember that I have had a complication and that is why I'm a bit behind in recovery. They are rare, but I'm the person this kinda stuff always seems to happen to, I swear lol. I see that your date is fast approaching, you will do great, he truly is a master....I have near perfect correction. I will appreciate that more in a few more months I'm sure :)

Take care,

timetofaceit
02-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Oh Spring, I'm so sorry you're having a tough recovery....wanted you to know that God reminded me of you today and I prayed for you. I will continue to do that. I know how life-giving contacts with friends can be --- will pray that your friends will once again get on board and be your cheer-leaders to a new you!!!

Confusedmom
02-27-2012, 10:09 PM
Okay, Spring. I am glad you are doing everything you need to do. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, as well.

Best,
Evelyn