Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body finally adjusting to its new length - four months post surgery

Hi Everyone,

I am just about at the four month post surgery mark and have noticed recently changes in body. I think my internal organs have finally realized they are not so squished together anymore.

Just to confirm this theory, I used the breathing tester and I was able to go up to 1500!!! Pre surgery, the very best I could do was 1,000. i can also hold my ice tea longer now. :-)

It's taking a while to lose the fluids--and I now seem to actually have a waist. There was some after the surgery, but it seems better now. Still am missing a bunch of feeling on skin on my back. I am gaining it a bit on the top half of my back, but nothing around the hip area. Had dinner with another person who had the surgery three months before me and she, also, still does not have feeling on the back hips area. I guess it takes time.

Between deep knee bends and a little give to the body (not pushing it too much per surgeon), I am able to even help empty out the lower rack of the dishwasher.

I still can feel the hardware in my back (or the muscles around the hardware) when I walk for a longer period of time. But the feeling comes and goes.

Anyway, I am rambling. I am thrilled I have more breathing freedom now.

Just something for those of you who recently went through the surgery to look forward to.
    Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
    Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
    Dr. Charles Edwards, II
    The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
    Before and after xrays:
    http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Glad to hear that you are doing so well
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Being able to breath better has been wonderful. Amazing how it takes your body a while to function in new positions. When I would do breathing tests for new doctors they used to freak out because my lung capa out tested as a 100 year old person because they didn't understand to do the tests I had to sit differently. My back has started to have feeling in most areas- some places more than others but since I started using vitamins oil on the scar and got a couple of massages I have have had much more progress in the feeling come back please department. The numb feeling has been most bothersome to me when I try to sit I know it all takes time and a watched pot never boils but it is difficult to not think about it when you are living in a different body every waking moment. . Happy you are breathing so much better. Hoping to get there soon myself.

Comment

Working...
      X