27 year old female Spinal fusion t2-l2 or L3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 27 year old female Spinal fusion t2-l2 or L3

I am scheduled for surgery at Hershey Medical with Dr Vora in February. I have a ton of questions about what to expect. I'm very thin, naturally but I am not in shape so im worried about how fast my recovery will be. My largest curve is 62 and my lowest is around 38. Anyone have a similar surgery that can tell me about their experiences?
    Thoracic curve approx 62 degrees,
    Lower curve of approx 38 degrees
    27 years old
    http://pennstatehershey.org/findaprovider/provider/1507
    Scheduled for Spinal Fusion 2/2/2012
    T2-L2 or L3
    Engaged to be married on 4.6.2013!

Surgery

I had surgery 2 months ago t2 to L4. Similar you will have better bending than me. But I can still bend to my knees and put on my socks, paint my toenails etc. I'm 20 years older than you and worked 12 to 14 hour days for years so the only thing in shape was my fingers from typing and writing. I started walking with weights when I discovered I had osteoporosis. Took tons of supplements and got well enough to have surgery in 9 months. Walking is the best and walking as soon after surgery helped me a lot. You may walk more than you realize. A couple months before surgery I started riding a bike which I hadn't done in years. Idk if it helped me with the recovery as my left side hadn't carried its weight in 35 years so it was a challenge. I have made walking a priority and I got off the pain meds a couple weeks after I got out of the hospital. It's hard to tell how you will heal and where you will be sore. My primary care dr gave me 5 mg pain patches to help with the sore muscles from all the movement including breathing. But not in good shape isn't necessarily an indicator of how you will heal. See s to be more what you can do after your surgery. The muscles you may strengthen now won't be the ones that you will need to strengthen after. Legs and endurance helps the most so walking is totally the best thing before and after- and water exercises. 2 months and I can tell you the first 6 weeks weeks were rough and a lot of laying and not being able to sit up for more than 15 minutes. It takes 5weeks for your muscles to recover from surgery I have sat up almost all day for the past 3 days and 20 minute walks every hour. Taking extra vitamin a and b with my multi vitamin which has helped as well. I am 2 inches taller and during my pain pill time I lost 12 pounds which I didn't need to lose as I was only 126 on the day of surgery. Hope this helps

Comment

Just wanted to say, Welcome to the forum.

There have been a few 27 yr old scolis here, but not too many. The majority of scolis are fused young or past age 45.

There are many threads here you can read, or just wait, more people will post....

Have you read David Wolpert’s book? You can buy it from NSF.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thank you Kayde and Ed for your encouragement! @Kayde what was your curve before surgery? How much help did you need at home right after surgery? My fiance is planning to work half days so he can be with me most of the day- but I am concerned whether or not I will need help with simple tasks (ie. bathroom) How long was it until you were able to do these things on your own.

Side note/question: I had to go to the ER 2 days ago because of sharp pains on the left back side of my ribs whenever I moved or breathed. The doctor said it was just a muscle pull but may have been indirectly related to my spinal curve( my scoliosis is on my right side). I did not do anything strenuous, so it concerned me that I had this injury. Has anyone every had issues with ribs due to your curve?
        Thoracic curve approx 62 degrees,
        Lower curve of approx 38 degrees
        27 years old
        http://pennstatehershey.org/findaprovider/provider/1507
        Scheduled for Spinal Fusion 2/2/2012
        T2-L2 or L3
        Engaged to be married on 4.6.2013!

Comment

Pulled rib muscle

YES in the middle of this year I pulled a chest muscle. I didn't get to the dr but I know that's what it was. Unsure if scoliosis had anything to do with it. I pulled it lifting my 11kg son while my partner was away. It was excruciating! And I'm sorry to say my poor son got a bit neglected in the 2 weeks it took to heal (had to be careful for a month). I kept straining it trying to take care of my toddler so if it is the same as me, do your absolute best not to keep hurting it!
          My pain more came from the left front rib area and stretched around to the back. I took ibuprofen.

Ps. I am 27 with similar curves to yours but I think mine are a bit lower in the lumbar. Am giving the green light for surgery in 2012! Best of luck!

Comment

Welcome to the forum
            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

We're unique!

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post

There have been a few 27 yr old scolis here, but not too many. The majority of scolis are fused young or past age 45.

There are many threads here you can read, or just wait, more people will post....

Ed
              Maybe we should start a group for young adults! it's hard to get information on what to expect for our age since we truly are in between the teenagers and the 'more experienced' adults out there. I have a hard time trying to gauge recovery time especially. Usually I just take the average of what the 18 years olds and the 40 somethings say
              30 y.o female, very active, considering surgery
              08/03/11 - 54 degrees
              06/2004 - 33 degrees
              Don't like hospitals

Comment

Working...
              X