2 month check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 month check

I had my 2 month check and things still look good. I think they were surprised I opted not to wear the brace but it hurt me too much since my left rib area is still so sore because of all the movement They felt that since I was more active sooner my new posture was just taking more time to adjust. Got a massage that helped a bunch and my primary care gave me some mild pain med patches and some lidodern patches to help with the muscle pain. Going for rehab evaluation on Friday and see what they feel I may need to add to my walking, biking and pool exercises. I had to quit doing anything before due to the sore rib and pain in low back on left side. Since the patches were given I feel much better and feel I can actually move in a more natural way than I have in a while. The downside of not being able to stand the brace was the non-movement that I had to endure because I would get so tired and weak with muscle spasms and pain, but the upside is that I have been able to not become dependent on the brace and have retained more of what little muscle strength I had before the surgery. The patches have no bowel side effects or appetite issues so I am eating again. Going back to work just to telecommute beginning January 3 so we will see how that goes only 6 to 7 hours a day. But since the patches I have been able to sit up in chairs and actually drove a few blocks today since the patches are so mild they don't have restrictions. I have made a place in my bedroom to work in the event I can't sit up for that long but I have had 3 days with no naps. Huge stride for me. I'm still sore and can't really do things I would like to do - like pick up shells on the beach. Tried that last weekend before I got the patches and it just seemed like I couldn't get down to get them or get a handful of them at a time -just very stiff and couldnt move around without feeling boxy or robotic so I came home depressed. So.....this week with the massage, more hot baths and the patches it has certainly given me the boost of hope I needed. I'm told that 3 months should be another real corner turn. Hoping that is true. . Next holiday season I hope to make up for the ones this year.

Kayde, glad you're coming along so well and that you're able to work from home where you can do what's comfortable for you. Sounds as though you're doing so much already!
    Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
    Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
    Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
    Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
    photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Kayde

Wow! You are doing great. Try not to push too hard, we don’t want you getting hurt.

Try not to worry about the sea shells, bending over is not something you want to be doing right now. It will come in time, don’t worry.

I was one who did hundreds of massages before my surgeries. If I had all that money, I would be loaded! He he After my surgeries, I tried having massages, and the feeling around the fusion does not feel good to me. My poor masseuse, I feel sorry for her as I was one of her “outstanding” customers over many years.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Yeah I had the bright idea that if I got down on the sand I could crawl or scoot on the sand. Nope. Won't be doing that again for a while it was depressing. I did tons of massages before surgery just to be able to stand the pain. I'm wondering if after I get the feeling back into my back if they I'll feel the same. I can tell after the massages I have had much less left side pain and I have more feeling in my back a few days afterwards. Of course they don't feel as good as they used to feel but then my right side no longer hurts. I'm learning my new limits...as it is said a man must know his limits At this point I'm just happy I'm able to sit up and use other parts of my house. I have lived the last 2 months from my bed. Not a fan- I'm sure when I have to start getting up for work the bed will look more appealing.

Comment

I thought that I would never be able to get to my feet ever again, it’s a scary feeling.....

It was temporary, and I think I was around 6 months when I was tying shoes up on a stool, 12 months tying shoes down on the floor.

At 22 months, I was pulling down to clip my toenails and pulled something. It was a 9 level pain for 14 days, then suddenly quit, just like a light switch, on or off. That’s why I say, be careful.

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Oh that's bad. I bent over to pick something up a couple weeks ago- idk what I was thinking I just thought I could bend over and get whatever it was and forgot I couldn't. Half way down the pain hit and I remembered. Omg. Wasn't something I want to do again. And Idk that I could have done that straight over before surgery so idk what I was thinking. I was sort of coming off those pain meds. I did actually wear my first pair of shoes with laces today. Couldn't tie them real tight but I tied them. Small victories like showers and putting on socks. Lol. I had a lot of trouble washing my hands at first. Seemed like I couldn't lean over to wash them both at the same time. Silly things u don't realize you would have trouble with until you have the surgery. Your surgery was bigger than mine- your pix are very impressive. I look at them ever so often to keep me inspired that someday I can twist and bend like you have accomplished

Comment

Kayde,
              It sounds like you are doing well. My left ribs ached off and on for about six months. I think they were just manipulated more because they were the ones that caused my rib hump which is totally gone. Dr. Lenke didn't have me wear a brace at all, which surprised me. He feels the newer instrumentation keeps everything in place and that your muscles get stronger much sooner if they aren't relying on the brace. Keep up the good work!
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I think wearing a brace does cause you longer recovery. Dr moreno gave me the option and I opted out. My curve and rub hump was on the right side so mentally I had prepared myself for right side pain.....much to my surprise my left side that got moved over is what hurt so bad. Was very much a shock. And even going to the gym I could tell my left leg was weaker but never crossed my mind that no matter what I did the muscles I would use to just breath wasn't getting used and I would be so sore. Had very little back pain although I have had some right side next soreness and only one migraine but I think that was caused by the pain meds. Hoping those go away all together. You have done so well...I hope to dance again...someday and gold...someday. I think for now I may take up playing my sax again as it would be good lung exercise. I got where I couldn't play or swin because of my diminished lung capacity, just dancing for an hour was getting where I was having trouble. Going to look into tap again, but also some ballroom dancing. I think some of the more burlesque dance my friend talked me into last year will be out. But I would like to tango and maybe salsa..I think swing dance may be out too although my step-dad keeps telling me he's sure I will be able to do it. Lol. I was just his dance partner.

Comment

Kayde,
                  I bet you'll be able to swing dance eventually. I might give it a try on New Year's Eve with my hubby.
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                  X