Scoliosis Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis Books

I have found the " store" site. Has anyone read, " Scoliosis Surgery" by Dave Wolpert? Or can you recommend any other books on their store.
    I will definitely be having surgery next year, in Edmonton, under the care of Dr. J. Mahood.

Kootenaygal

I would guess we've almost all read the Wolpert book. It's good, but it seems to be quite out of date.

I found Dr Michael Neuwirth's book, The Scoliosis Sourcebook, more up to date and worthwhile.

I think you should get and read both, but keep in mind there have been advances since either one was published.
    Stephanie, age 56
    Diagnosed age 8
    Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
    Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
    Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
    Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
    Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
    Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

scoliosis Books

Originally posted by Mojo's Mom View Post
      I would guess we've almost all read the Wolpert book. It's good, but it seems to be quite out of date.

I found Dr Michael Neuwirth's book, The Scoliosis Sourcebook, more up to date and worthwhile.

I think you should get and read both, but keep in mind there have been advances since either one was published.
      Thank you, Stephanie. I'm glad I posted this question....glad to get your opinion. I'm 60, will be having surgery next year, for kyphoscoliosis. I saw my surgeon last week. I was told that my curve is 111 degrees. I'm not sure how he came up with this measurement, though. My surgery will be next fall, unless my curve drastically increases. My ribs are almost touching my hips, when I lay down...and when I'm standing up as well. I'm sure this surgery will help me tremendously, and prevent me from collapsing any further.
      I'm so thankful that I found this forum ~~it has been amazing, so much information, and support.
      Kootenaygal.

Comment

Book

I read that book. I agree it's very out of date. I had surgery in October this year and really found better things on YouTube and iPod pocasts. And it depends on where you are curved to know where your pain and strengthing will be needed and how you will heal. I think the book made me more concerned than it helped.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayde View Post
          I read that book. I agree it's very out of date. I had surgery in October this year and really found better things on YouTube and iPod pocasts. And it depends on where you are curved to know where your pain and strengthing will be needed and how you will heal. I think the book made me more concerned than it helped.
          How are you feeling, Kayde...interested in your recovery, since your surgery was this past year?
          I'll be having surgery next year....I have a kyphosis, and scoliosis.
          Kootenaygal.

Comment

Working...
          X