Aqua fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aqua fit

Has anyone done any aqua fit or aqua exercise classes? If so, did you find it effective in getting your mobility back with less pain than any pt exercises?

I have taken PT in the pool and found it pretty much pain free. f there is any discomfort, the PT stopped the exercise. Now that I am done with the PT, I have a set of exercises that I do by myself in the pool. These are rehab pools that are at 88 degrees and 92 degrees.

As for classes, the PT recommended that I do my own exercises for a while before joining a class. I know myself that, in the past before surgery, I tended to go along with the class and suffer later. I'll try the classes when I'm ready.

There are people on the Forum who have attended class and seem fine.

Irene
    1996 x-rays (none read recently) 50 degrees thoracic, 40 degrees lumbar
    Never braced, found out I had scoliosis at age 28
    At time of surgery, multi-level disc spondylotic degeneration,
    advanced lumbar degeneration, stenosis
    65 years young and very active but no lengthy walks or standing without pain
    Now, 67. walking and standing as much as I want
    Surgery Dec. 7, 2010
    T10-S1 posterior
    Dr. Rand
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston,
    http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee369/itr1/

Comment

Kayde, I am not a swimmer and I hate the water, so you won't find me near a pool. However, my pt told me that if I were to do any exercises in the water I should avoid hyperextending my hips (like kicking back). Hope you find your aqua exercises beneficial!
      Donna
      Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
      Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
      Fused T3-L3
      60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
      Tennis player & returning to the courts!
      http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

Older class

Most of the people I have seen that take the classes are 70ish so I figured it wouldn't be too aggressive. The indoor pool is heated but I figure I would have to wear my short dive suit with an extra vest. I like the water really warm and I wouldn't want to get cold. They do have a hot tub and sauna. I don't think I can do any classes yet. Just doing some of the exercises the dr gave me. I do have some from the wii fit I can do. Not sure I'm ready even for the wii zumba but the bike seems to bother my left hip just because it's so weak. Figured if I could do water exercises I could get the resistance without the impact. I actuaaly got my hair foiled and cut two days ago that went much better than I thought it would. I sort of feel a little more like myself mentally yesterday for the first time. Sort of the fog is parting. I am thinking massages starting next week may also help things. Just small walks and living life from a bed and bedroom is hard to take.

Comment

Kayde,
          I was allowed to walk in the water forward, backward, and sideways once my incision could get wet. I also used a noodle to paddle around on to give my arms some exercise, as well. At 6 months, I started taking water aerobics classes, but was told not to kick back or twist. I get in the water up to my neck so that when we do jogging or jumping jacks, it is not high impact. The warm water feels wonderful.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Water

I figure paddling with a noodle is about all I will do. Maybe take my floater so I can jog in the water a little. The water feels so good when I got the ok to soak I couldn't wait to get home and run that first hot bath. It's so wonderful.

Comment

I went to a few aqua classes for arthritics but found them to cause more pain than not. Too much of standing in the water and doing arm exercises. I found that just standing in the water, there was too much movement from the water caused by so many people in the pool and it hurt my back. Instead, I have been going to the pool and doing water exercises that a PT taught me five years ago. I feel pretty good after about 45 minutes in the pool, but I am not sure that overall my pain is any less. I use a water jogger belt and hand barbells. I get a really good workout. Maybe over time I will have less pain. It is worth a try.
              Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
              X