PDA

View Full Version : Tap Dancing Picture Added to Signature

golfnut
12-08-2011, 08:01 PM
I know this forum is about our backs and that we all love to look at the many amazing before and after pictures. I also think it's important to see that those of us who have had surgery can eventually return to activities that we enjoyed prior to surgery. Yesterday, I was emailed a picture of my tap dancing group performing at the YMCA's benefit dinner on November 11th. I'm the one on the right. What's even better than returning to activities is when some people post-op can participate in activities that they could NOT do before their surgery. I hope to add a golf picture if I get permission from Dr. Lenke in January to play golf again.

walkingmom
12-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Karen,

That is awesome that you are able to return to one of your pre-surgery activities. I have read many of your posts and I must say that am really inspired by how well your recovery has been. It really is important for those of us in the midst of recovery to see that a "normal" life after surgery can still be possible. I am looking forward to that point when I no longer have the constant reminder that my stubborn muscles refuse to welcome all of my new hardware to the family! Thanks again for posting!
Donna

jerseyot
12-08-2011, 08:55 PM
That's absolutely amazing!!! I am so happy for you - - you really inspire me and it's so important to try and look past the fear and "what if's" and try to focus on the infinite possibilities of the good that may (ok, WILL) come from having this surgery. I hope and pray for as good an outcome as yours!! Congrats again.

Michele

Mojo's Mom
12-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Thanks, Karen, this is the kind of stuff we need to see more of. I really wish someone would put up a video of themselves just going about some household tasks or something, so we can see that long fusions to the pelvis don't equal huge losses in function. You look great, and very natural.

Kayde
12-08-2011, 09:51 PM
I'm so happy for you. I hope to return to tap and some ballroom dance. I think my belly dancing may be over but I have my eye on Tahitian dance. And golf would be really great. It's very inspiring, had tears of joy for you. For those of us with dance in our souls it means so much. I had already decided if I couldn't go back to dance soon I would see about taking up my sax again. You have certainly given me hope. You have had an amazing recovery. Go you! Excellent Christmas gift.

JenniferG
12-08-2011, 11:42 PM
You look fabulous Karen! I don't think it'll be long before we see a golf shot of you, you're doing great.

rohrer01
12-09-2011, 03:34 AM
Thanks, Karen, this is the kind of stuff we need to see more of. I really wish someone would put up a video of themselves just going about some household tasks or something, so we can see that long fusions to the pelvis don't equal huge losses in function. You look great, and very natural.

Karen, that's absolutely amazing! You look like you are having a ball....so happy!

Mojo's Mom, Titaniumed has some skiing footage of himself on here. He's fused, I believe, T2 to pelvis with pelvic anchor bolts. He also has his bending and twisting photos on his profile signature so you can see how much flexibility he still has.

Stories like this are truly inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

Singer
12-09-2011, 07:23 AM
I love it!!

backissues
12-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Karen,
Fantastic!! It is a photo that evokes a smile. You are amazing!! We'll be seeing golf photos before long.

Enjoy!!

Irene

jeneemohler
12-09-2011, 05:28 PM
It is so darn awesome seeing you out enjoying life and having a ball. What a great spirit and inspiration!! You sure don't look 61....

TwinmomTN
12-09-2011, 06:33 PM
That's wonderful Karen. You do look great! I was lucky enough
to be able to meet Doreen yesterday. She looks as great as she sounds
in her blog and posts. It's great to finally put a face with names here
from the forum.

mabeckoff
12-09-2011, 08:36 PM
That's wonderful Karen. You do look great! I was lucky enough
to be able to meet Doreen yesterday. She looks as great as she sounds
in her blog and posts. It's great to finally put a face with names here
from the forum.

Glad to hear that Doreen is doing well

Doodles
12-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Karen--
That's the best picture ever! You really are doing great--wonderful. Janet

loves to skate
12-10-2011, 06:51 AM
Karen,
I am so happy for you. You look great and look like you are really enjoying your dancing. I remember when I first started skating again after my surgery. It is a feeling of joy that life is not over for those of us fused to the sacrum. Your photo should help take some of the fear away from those contemplating surgery. Thanks for posting it.
Sally

titaniumed
12-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Karen

Very nice! You are doing well.

Be sure to let us know how the golf game goes. As far as skiing out here, it hasnít snowed and we are all wondering when it will happen.

Iíve been extremely busy these days.
Ed

golfnut
12-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your nice comments. I may not kick as high as I used to, but give me a little more time . . . What a well rounded group of people on this forum-skaters, skiers, swimmers, tennis players, dancers,etc.

Ed,
I love your skiing video. Maybe I can figure out how to post a tap dancing video and a golfing video sometime.

Pam,
How nice that you and Doreen got to meet! I have met a few people from the forum and it's so nice to put a face to those with whom I've corresponded.

Good luck to those in the early stages of recovery. Everything will eventually get better and easier for you.
For those waiting for their surgery dates . . . it is a tough time. I remember how I felt a year ago. Rest assured that it is not as bad as you might fear. I think the waiting is the most difficult time of this whole journey.

Spring72
12-11-2011, 11:29 PM
wow Karen...you look great! Thank you for posting that pic, I still have 'not so good thoughts' about the way my body my 'work' after being fused to the sacrum....4 wks away as of tomorrow! After seeing that Doreen had such a good outcome it has eased my mind a bit, I have been busy getting things ready...just ordered some satin sheets online and we have decided just to put in a new tall toilet next weekend. The holidays are making the time fly fast...Merry Christmas to you Karen, and thank you for all the support you have given me thus far ;)

golfnut
12-12-2011, 01:07 AM
Thanks, Spring. January 10th will be here before you know it. I was glad to have the holidays last year to keep be from thinking about the surgery every single minute ( but it was probably every other minute) We'll be looking forward to posts from you to see how you're doing. You are in good hands with Dr. Lenke.

nanlo
12-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Karen, that is SO cute! You are an inspiration! THANK YOU!
Nancy

Elisa
12-13-2011, 09:34 PM
That's great that you are back to doing the things you love. Which dancer is you?

golfnut
12-14-2011, 11:03 AM
That's great that you are back to doing the things you love. Which dancer is you?

I am the one on the right.

titaniumed
12-14-2011, 07:28 PM
Are the Rocketteís still at Radio City? Just wondering? He he I have not seen anything like this since.

Jess?

Ed