Reminiscing my pre-surgery days . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reminiscing my pre-surgery days . . .

I will be a year post-op on Jan. 5 and am so happy that I took the plunge and had my surgery. I am also thankful that I went to a top surgeon and a hospital that is only 30 miles from our home. How lucky is that?
    For the past several weeks, I have been thinking about my mental state a year ago, epecially when I read posts from those with doubts about having the surgery. I am thinking "I could have written the same exact post last year" . I am a worrier by nature, so going into this surgery with little pain, caused me to second guess myself constantly. Just for the heck of it, I went to "My Profile" and read some of my thread starters from a year ago . . . "Is Surgery a Gamble", "Getting Cold Feet" , and others. As I reread your replies during my pre-surgery days and the early weeks after the surgery, I felt so appreciative for this forum and the support that you wonderful people on the forum gave me and others. I have more documentation of my recovery in my posts than any place else. Most of us don't know people in our hometowns who have had this surgery so it was helpful to correspond with those who were also at the pre-surgery stage and especially to hear from those who were "on the other side". Although reading David Wolpert's book was helpful, it was not the same as having day to day contact with numerous people on this forum.
    Thanks so much! And while I'm thanking people, I have to mention Ed. I love his humor, experiences, support, knowledge, pictures, and on and on . . . . It's so nice that he sticks with the forum and adds his comments.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Hey Congratulations.

I consider Ti Ed the unofficial spokesmodel in this sandbox. :-)
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I am so glad you are on the other side, feeling so good, having no regrets, and looking forward to the future!!!

You have been so helpful and supportive for others. Especially for me, since we recovered together. It's been so wonderful to be able to share and compare notes with someone who is in the same exact spot. It's funny how people you have never met can become such an important part of your life. Thank you for that, and for helping all the others with your notes and thoughts while on your journey. I've thought about cutting and pasting all my own posts and creating a story just for the record. Maybe the kids will read it someday, or grandkids, if they ever need to go through a similar ordeal. I didn't keep a journal, but like you said, it is all here-the fear, hope, and relief!

And I agree about Ed. He rocks. It amazes me that he still takes the time to support all of us, years after his own surgery. It has been a challenge for me, after only 11 months, to stay on here. The more I get back to normal life, the less time I spend on here... I need someone to kick me-I have to try harder. I really want to be able to pay it forward.
      Jenee'-52
      Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
      Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
      I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
      9 hours
      T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
      Non-fusion
      Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Hi...

I'm just a little behind you, in that my 1 year anniversary is coming up on January 20th. It feels so impossible that it's almost a year already.

For some reason, your post just gave me an idea. I wonder if it would be helpful to create two sticky threads, one for good outcomes or I'm happy that I had surgery, and another for bad outcomes or I'm really sorry I had surgery. It would make it easy for people who are trying to make the decision, to see some quick summaries from a bunch of other people. What do you guys think?

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda - i think that's a great idea!

And Golfnut - i am so glad that you are feeling so good and doing so well. I too, am a "worrier by nature" so coming into what will be my 3rd and 4th surgeries in just 7 weeks makes me want to go back to look for your previous posts from last year to help me thru these weeks. I swear the waiting is the hardest part i think sometimes! I hope i have as good an outcome as you!
          1993/1995: PSF w/ Harrington rods T3-L4
          Jan. 24, 2012: ALIF of L4-L5, L5-S1 w/ cage spacer and BMP
          Jan. 31, 2012: PLIF of L1-S1 w/ pelvic anchors
          Scheduled Nov.15, 2012: Fusion T2-S1 w/ pelvic anchors to fix T12 fracture
          http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ot/myback2.jpg - BEFORE
          http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT2342x406.jpg - AFTER
          http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT1410x229.jpg - AFTER
          www.jerseyot.blogspot.com

Comment

grateful

Hi All. I too am doing pretty well and like to help others through this process. Dr. Errico has asked me several times to speak to women and share my experience with them and people from the forum as well as relatives of friends have contacted me. I feel like the poster child (well, adult) for "the good that can come from scoliosis surgery". But I really dont mind. I got fantastic feedback from this forum made new friends, like Jamie who met me for coffee before my surgery in NY just to let me see that she looked "normal" after her surgery. We are a community of survivors just like other ailments/diseases and for that reason I want to help other people get through their process and journey. I try to stay positive every day and remember why this whole thing was necessary. Some days are better than others, however I did get to put my Christmas tree up this year for the first time in three years and I didnt need to sit every minute! Wow that was big for me. I really appreciate the small things that I can do today because of this surgery. Thanks to all who came before me....we all need each other. Happy Holidays to one and all.

And Linda...I love the idea I think it would scare less people when good results dont have to be dug for!
            Sarahcant
            Surgery March 15
            Dr. Errico NYU
            Fused T-3 to S-1
            an inch and change taller
            nice and straight
            49 years old (yikes)

Comment

Linda,
              I think your idea is a good one, although many who have had a successful surgery go back to work full time and no longer post on the forum. For example, I remember reading tons of posts from Lynette last year prior to her surgery and during her early recovery, but she has children, work, and probably little time and no longer posts. Do you remember a thread from last year, "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly?" I think it would be good to have two separate threads, like you mentioned.
              So many people from this forum helped me with their posts and emails during my pre-surgery and recovery period and I truly appreciated it. It was reassuring to me when many from the forum told me that the most difficult time is the presurgery time where all of the negative "what ifs" are going through your head. I have to agree with that.

I like Jenee's comment to "Pay it forward." I hope to do so as well.
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
              X