Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's getting better all the time ^^

Hello Everyone!

I just wanted to share my positive recovery. I am about a week shy of being five months post-op. My recovery was plodding along, everything going well but I reached a turning point once I started physical therapy about six weeks ago. My surgeon told me I didn't need PT but after reading and listening to tons of advice and experiences, I was completely confused about what I should and shouldn't be doing. At my 3 month follow up appt, I asked my doctor to give me an order for PT. Based on the recommendation of a friend, I found an amazing PT place here in Atlanta that focuses on spines. My therapist has not only given me great guidance in returning to my previous workout routines and fitness levels, I have also gained a lot of mobilitiy. I am also more confident in what I can do. I was holding myself back and didn't realize I could do so much more.

Of course the key thing to remember is that everyone's situation is different and everyone heals and recovers at a different pace. This forum is wonderful but I must admit I am glad I didn't read it before my surgery. I would have been scared to death and probably would have cancelled my surgery. I did not experience the horredous pain and discomfort others did. I believe it is critical to post these issues on this forum in order to get some feedback from others in terms of what is normal and what isn't. I have found it invaluable, post surgery.

My point in posting this is that there are indeed many of us with relatively unexciting recoveries and I think it's important to post those as well. The natural tendency is to not post if everything is going well.

I'm here to say, everything is going well : )
    50 years old!!!!!
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
    Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
    Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
    Surgery 07/11/2011
    Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

great update

That is great to hear how much you have benefited from PT. At my 7 mos post-op visit, I was given the green light to start some light weight machines to help strengthen my back muscles. So with my PT instructions and copy of my xray in hand, I am looking forward to getting started with my fitness trainer at the gym next week. Hope you continue well with your recovery!
    Donna
    Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
    Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
    Fused T3-L3
    60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
    Tennis player & returning to the courts!
    http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

Congratulations on your progress! I also think it's important that the smooth recoveries are posted.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Great news Marina. It's nice to read positive outcomes from this surgery, especially so soon!
        Laurie
        Age 57
        Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
        Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
        Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
        Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
        Dr Munish Gupta
        UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

Great to hear

Great you sound active now. Can I ask what stretches you are doing?
          And was any of your own bone used for the grafting?
          I get quite sore when I've been active, but it seems just soft tissue pain. Do you get sore when you've been bending? I think I have upped my activity levels because my energy is back but my muscels aren't quite ready for it'.
          Kelly
          Progress 1 hr Nth of Sydney, Australia
          49 yrs
          55 deg thorocolumbar
          Fused T9 to L3, Aug 11th 2011

Comment

Soreness and streching

Hi Kelly!
            I don't have any negative effects from exercising. I walk four miles 3 days a week at a 14.5 minute mile, I spin three times a week for 30-45 minutes, I use the stair climber at the gym (thing that looks like a mini escalator) for 30-45 minutes three times a week and lift weights 3 times a week. At about three months post op I tried bending a few times and paid dearly for it later. My back ached and I had a lot of tingling and burning all along my spine/fusion. But now, nothing. I bend, lift (with good form) and I feel fine. Can't so much twisting yet and I'm not sure how much I will be able to in the future. The only pain I've had recently is from driving 17 hours in three days. By the third day, my back was clearly telling me it had enough : )

For stretching I do pelvic tilts, child's pose (never thought I could do that!!), modified cat stretch (on all fours...used to round my back but now just lift the spine to the ceiling, hold and release...another one I didn't think I could do). Then just some leg stretches for runners. I don't run but the stretches are great. I can also do a plank which is great for building the core. Core muscle strength is key now.

If you haven't done so already, I cannot stress how much going to physical therapy has helped me. It's best to have a professional assess your situation and show you how to do exercises and stretches properly.

My surgeon used that new synthetic bone stuff. I don't know what it's called. Not my bone.

Good luck!
            50 years old!!!!!
            Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
            Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
            Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
            Surgery 07/11/2011
            Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

great to hear!

Thank you for your encouraging post! I just saw my surgeon and scheduled the surgery yesterday. I've been reading through posts and started to doubt my decision and became scared. It was very comforting to read of your experience. Everyone is different I guess. Glad you are doing so well!

Comment

Working...
              X