Acupuncture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acupuncture

Before surgery massage and especially acccupunture was a huge lifeline help to me. Has anyone has either post surgery?

I haven't had surgery, but I have tried acupuncture. I was skeptical about it at first thinking maybe it was quackery. But I had some horribly painful muscle spasms that even the narcotics wouldn't touch. My doctor recommended I try it, as the area was too dangerous for him to do the trigger point injections. The first time I went, I felt better for about an hour. The second time I went, I got horribly sick during the treatment and almost threw up on the table and got severe diarrhea cramps (I didn't tell the therapist this, I just toughed it out - and NO I didn't eat anything within an hour of treatment either). After this treatment, I went home, got sick at home, and rested for the rest of the day. Low and behold the muscle spasms were GONE. I have an occaisional flare up, but nothing like it was. It was constant for months and I thought I had kidney stones or something horrible like that. I am one that is really skeptical about alternative medicine, but I was desperate. Acupuncture was a lifesaver for me! I have a hard time believing that it works the way they claim (meridians) as I don't see any science behind the theory, but it does work through some kind of mechanism. I think it was the electrical impulses and heat applied directly within the muscle that broke up the spasm. I haven't had to go back and it's been months. I would recommend this treatment to anyone.
    Last edited by rohrer01; 12-01-2011, 12:00 AM.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Right after surgery I had severe pain in my upper abdomen. I had all the gastro tests and they were negative. I had intercostal shots and they didn't help. I took Gabapentin and that didn't work. Then, I tried acupuncture. At first, I was going twice a week, then once a week, now I am going once a month. The pain was so bad that I had to lie down to stop it and it was debilitating. I still get mild twinges but it is rare and nothing to stop me from going about my life.

I recommend acupuncture to see if it works. It was the only thing that worked for me.

Before surgery, I tried acupuncture and it didn't do anything. On the other hand, I tried all the natural healing techniques and nothing worked. The only thing that worked was surgery.

Good luck!
      1996 x-rays (none read recently) 50 degrees thoracic, 40 degrees lumbar
      Never braced, found out I had scoliosis at age 28
      At time of surgery, multi-level disc spondylotic degeneration,
      advanced lumbar degeneration, stenosis
      65 years young and very active but no lengthy walks or standing without pain
      Now, 67. walking and standing as much as I want
      Surgery Dec. 7, 2010
      T10-S1 posterior
      Dr. Rand
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston,
      http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee369/itr1/

Comment

Good to know

I had tried acupuncture when I was 16 and it was ok but I wasn't in any real pain it was just part of my chiro treatment which actually improved my curve. But kids, work, mortgages and life I didn't keep up. I know it saved my last year while I was waiting to get my bones strong enough to have the surgery. I swear by it. Idk how it works but it does. I am very happy to know that isn't a taboo after surgery. I think that it would help restore nerve healing and muscle relocation pains.

Comment

I was also very skeptical about acupuncture, but tried it both before and after surgery. Most of the time, I would definitely feel somewhat better after the sessions, but it never lasted.
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Acupuncture helped me before surgery. Its pain killing action lasted for some days, it was a welcome brake because I didn't like to take meds. I went this afternoon for the first time after surgery, I'll see tomorrow for the result, but tonight I feel much less painful than usual at this time of the evening. It is SOOO good!
            Bamboo

Diagnosed age 17 in 1975
            no treatment
            Never knew I would need any follow-up
            Now 53 years old
            Curves in late 2010 Lumbar 70, Thoracic 65
            Has been fused T2 to L4 on september 22th 2011
            Dr. Stefan Parent, Hôpital Sacré-Coeur, Montréal

Comment

Working...
            X