PDA

View Full Version : Acupuncture

Kayde
11-30-2011, 09:02 AM
Before surgery massage and especially acccupunture was a huge lifeline help to me. Has anyone has either post surgery?

rohrer01
11-30-2011, 09:33 AM
I haven't had surgery, but I have tried acupuncture. I was skeptical about it at first thinking maybe it was quackery. But I had some horribly painful muscle spasms that even the narcotics wouldn't touch. My doctor recommended I try it, as the area was too dangerous for him to do the trigger point injections. The first time I went, I felt better for about an hour. The second time I went, I got horribly sick during the treatment and almost threw up on the table and got severe diarrhea cramps (I didn't tell the therapist this, I just toughed it out - and NO I didn't eat anything within an hour of treatment either). After this treatment, I went home, got sick at home, and rested for the rest of the day. Low and behold the muscle spasms were GONE. I have an occaisional flare up, but nothing like it was. It was constant for months and I thought I had kidney stones or something horrible like that. I am one that is really skeptical about alternative medicine, but I was desperate. Acupuncture was a lifesaver for me! I have a hard time believing that it works the way they claim (meridians) as I don't see any science behind the theory, but it does work through some kind of mechanism. I think it was the electrical impulses and heat applied directly within the muscle that broke up the spasm. I haven't had to go back and it's been months. I would recommend this treatment to anyone.

backissues
11-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Right after surgery I had severe pain in my upper abdomen. I had all the gastro tests and they were negative. I had intercostal shots and they didn't help. I took Gabapentin and that didn't work. Then, I tried acupuncture. At first, I was going twice a week, then once a week, now I am going once a month. The pain was so bad that I had to lie down to stop it and it was debilitating. I still get mild twinges but it is rare and nothing to stop me from going about my life.

I recommend acupuncture to see if it works. It was the only thing that worked for me.

Before surgery, I tried acupuncture and it didn't do anything. On the other hand, I tried all the natural healing techniques and nothing worked. The only thing that worked was surgery.

Good luck!

Kayde
11-30-2011, 04:02 PM
I had tried acupuncture when I was 16 and it was ok but I wasn't in any real pain it was just part of my chiro treatment which actually improved my curve. But kids, work, mortgages and life I didn't keep up. I know it saved my last year while I was waiting to get my bones strong enough to have the surgery. I swear by it. Idk how it works but it does. I am very happy to know that isn't a taboo after surgery. I think that it would help restore nerve healing and muscle relocation pains.

LindaRacine
11-30-2011, 06:35 PM
I was also very skeptical about acupuncture, but tried it both before and after surgery. Most of the time, I would definitely feel somewhat better after the sessions, but it never lasted.

bamboo
12-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Acupuncture helped me before surgery. Its pain killing action lasted for some days, it was a welcome brake because I didn't like to take meds. I went this afternoon for the first time after surgery, I'll see tomorrow for the result, but tonight I feel much less painful than usual at this time of the evening. It is SOOO good!