What to do with a used orthofix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with a used orthofix?

I'm almost 6 months post-op now, and doing very well. For the first three months or so, my doctor had me use an Orthofix bone stimulator like this one:
    http://www.orthofix.com/products/spi...tim.asp?cid=37
    The cost to my insurance company for it was $1600 and I paid an additional $1600. I called Orthofix and asked if they have a program to take them back and reuse them but they do not, and the representative said that they can't be used by someone else because they have to be prescribed. But the idea of just wasting it bothers me-- really I don't see any reason why someone else couldn't reuse it. Anyway-- anyone know of anyway to donate it to someone who could use it? There are some on ebay for about $200. If it's so bad for them to be reused why doesn't Orthofix make them quit selling them?
    Diagnosed at age 13
    Milwaukee brace ages 73-74
    Pre surgery 58 degree curve and lordosis
    Surgery June 7&9, 2011 Fused L-4 -T-4 Age 52
    Post surgery 26 degrees
    Surgeon Yu-po Lee

If I were you, I would hang on to it just in case you have trouble on down the road. If you ever need revision, you may be sorry you got rid of it. Just my opinion.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

You might want to try to contact someone at FOCOS to see if they have any use for it.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
        If I were you, I would hang on to it just in case you have trouble on down the road. If you ever need revision, you may be sorry you got rid of it. Just my opinion.
        I agree. Medicare paid for mine and if I ever need another one, I would have to pay for it myself.
        Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

What about the back brace as well? It can be bent to fit someone else. I also have a bone stimulator. It looks like FOCOS might be the place to donate to.

Irene
          Last edited by backissues; 11-30-2011, 12:17 PM.
          1996 x-rays (none read recently) 50 degrees thoracic, 40 degrees lumbar
          Never braced, found out I had scoliosis at age 28
          At time of surgery, multi-level disc spondylotic degeneration,
          advanced lumbar degeneration, stenosis
          65 years young and very active but no lengthy walks or standing without pain
          Now, 67. walking and standing as much as I want
          Surgery Dec. 7, 2010
          T10-S1 posterior
          Dr. Rand
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston,
          http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee369/itr1/

Comment

Does it work

My dr just suggested one of these for me. I haventvheard from anyone yet. Never heard of these do they really work? Do they help your back stop being so numb or does it only help with bone fusion. The back numbness is really bugging me. Yes...small thing in comparison to the last few weeks when my ribs were so sore I almost couldnt breathe. But neck really bothers me know higher than where the top screw is so idk what that is but not being able to feel large sections of your back is just creepy and difficult to live with. I'm sure in a few months there could be nerve pain and itching so I don't want to jinx myself lol. But I would like to know if these help and if you can move too much to comprise the surgery and that's why they want to speed the fusion. Seems silly if they r standard why they couldn't be rented There are so many children in other countries that aren't as blessed to have the surgery or any of the medical devices we have. I thank God each day for the blessings we have including a place such as this to help each other through this extremely emotional ordeal let alone the physical challenges. It would be horrible to know the terror of your body collapsing you from the inside and no place to turn to for treatment or emotional support. It seems such a waste-does the shiner's take those types of donations? I do charity events for the march of dimes and I know they take certain things. I will ask all children's hospital here as well to see if needy families might be able to use them-

Comment

Yes, they do help the bone to fuse, nothing more, or the insurance companies would not pay for them.
              Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

The back numbness went away for me but only down to my waist. Below the waist, my back still feels a bit weird and numb. I'm not sure if that will ever go away completely. However, the rest of my back used to be numb and/or hypersensitive. All that has gone away and the rest of my back is pretty normal.

I used the bone stimulator for 9 months and presume it worked. I won't have a CT scan for several months to a year to see if I am fused or fusing.

Now, I'm not sure whether to donate the stimulator yet or not. I certainly don't need it now and hope I'll never need it again.
                1996 x-rays (none read recently) 50 degrees thoracic, 40 degrees lumbar
                Never braced, found out I had scoliosis at age 28
                At time of surgery, multi-level disc spondylotic degeneration,
                advanced lumbar degeneration, stenosis
                65 years young and very active but no lengthy walks or standing without pain
                Now, 67. walking and standing as much as I want
                Surgery Dec. 7, 2010
                T10-S1 posterior
                Dr. Rand
                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston,
                http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee369/itr1/

Comment

Working...
                X